Guest Guest

Minneapolis, MN

Thanks for the advice. I'm looking around the University/Como area, which looks like it would allow me to take a bus into campus, which would drop off closer to my building than any of the parking structures. Unfortunately, because I have a disability, I do need to have a car and will be commuting to doctors/physical therapy, etc. I wish that I could just get rid of the car completely!

Does anyone have any advice about the Como neighborhood? I read earlier in the thread that "northeast" of the university isn't the best neighborhood, but I'm not sure what area that refers to.

I personally don't think the Como neighborhood is one of the better areas to live. Even though it's on the fringe of where students would want to live and still be near campus, it doesn't transition into a more permanent residential area like other areas because it's boxed in by an industrial area, so it's pretty much nothing but cheap, crappy student rentals. At least that's the impression I got when I was looking at places over there. But it's also not North Minneapolis (north of downtown, northwest of campus past Dinkytown), where personal safety would be a major concern. If you're going to be taking the bus to class, anyways, I think you should look a little further away from campus in the direction of South Minneapolis/Uptown.

I personally don't think the Como neighborhood is one of the better areas to live. Even though it's on the fringe of where students would want to live and still be near campus, it doesn't transition into a more permanent residential area like other areas because it's boxed in by an industrial area, so it's pretty much nothing but cheap, crappy student rentals. At least that's the impression I got when I was looking at places over there. But it's also not North Minneapolis (north of downtown, northwest of campus past Dinkytown), where personal safety would be a major concern. If you're going to be taking the bus to class, anyways, I think you should look a little further away from campus in the direction of South Minneapolis/Uptown.

Just to double-check that I understand, it sounds like you're saying that it's not a great neighborhood in the sense that there are better neighborhood to live, rather than as a euphemism for "crime-riddled." Or does Como have a reputation for being unsafe? I appreciate your input - it's so hard to figure out neighborhoods from so far away, without a great sense of what my life will end up being like.

Almost definitely heading to the U of M next year.

Debating between Uptown, Loring Park, and Northeast. Here are the considerations:

1. Need to be able to walk, easily, to good restaurants, bars, and a grocery store. Emphasis on the grocery store, and it needs to be a good one.

2. Need to be able to bike and bus in to campus easily. From what I've read about these neighborhoods, this shouldn't be a problem from any.

3. Would like to pay $600 or less for a 1BR, or share a 2BR for $1100 or less.

4. Need access to good bike trails and good roads for running. Doesn't seem to be a difficulty in any of these areas - in Uptown and Loring the Lakes are close at hand, while Northeast seems to have good access to the East and West river roads.

Opinions much appreciated!

Just to double-check that I understand, it sounds like you're saying that it's not a great neighborhood in the sense that there are better neighborhood to live, rather than as a euphemism for "crime-riddled." Or does Como have a reputation for being unsafe? I appreciate your input - it's so hard to figure out neighborhoods from so far away, without a great sense of what my life will end up being like.

As far as I know, it doesn't have a reputation for being unsafe. But I also don't know any grad students that have chosen to live there.

Almost definitely heading to the U of M next year.

Debating between Uptown, Loring Park, and Northeast. Here are the considerations:

1. Need to be able to walk, easily, to good restaurants, bars, and a grocery store. Emphasis on the grocery store, and it needs to be a good one.

2. Need to be able to bike and bus in to campus easily. From what I've read about these neighborhoods, this shouldn't be a problem from any.

3. Would like to pay $600 or less for a 1BR, or share a 2BR for $1100 or less.

4. Need access to good bike trails and good roads for running. Doesn't seem to be a difficulty in any of these areas - in Uptown and Loring the Lakes are close at hand, while Northeast seems to have good access to the East and West river roads.

Opinions much appreciated!

Apparently people really love the Wedge Community Co-op (near Franklin and Lyndale), which has your all-natural/fair trade/vegan/hippie stuff. There's a Rainbow Foods off of Lake Street inbetween Hennepin and Lyndale. It looks like there's also a Lund's in that general area. There's also a Lund's right in the middle of Northeast. There's probably a few more that I'm not aware of.

www.metrotransit.org Check to see where buses go, and also when they run. Technically I live by a bus stop, but it's a crappy commuter bus that only runs 8am-6pm, and only takes me to a place where I can transfer to a useful bus line.

Finding a 1BR that close to downtown for only $600 might be a bit optimistic (I'm currently looking for a 1BR in that general area). I haven't looked into it, but I imagine sharing a 2BR for $1100 would be much more feasible.

Have you looked into the Midtown Greenway?

Wow, it's great to be able to read so much about Minneapolis on this forum! I'm an international student and will start as a graduate student this fall at UMN. I am, of course, also worried about housing. Smaturins considerations sound pretty much like my own, except I'm not much of a runner and I hope to cycle as much as possible (what can I say, I'm Dutch).

I hope to share a 2 or 3 bedroom appartment as well. It's difficult to find a future housemate and a house, without the option to set foot in the US before I move there. So I really appreciate all the information that's been posted here so far!

i think i have found my future place to stay! - i know it's a little early, but at least i'm done with the search now. so, feels good.

check this site guys (am sure most of you already know) - www.padmapper.com - shows available housings by their locations, so you can search for areas around the U or uptown or wherever you want to stay.

i think i have found my future place to stay! - i know it's a little early, but at least i'm done with the search now. so, feels good.

Congratulations! I bet that feels great. :)

I'll also admit to being a little envious. I finally figured out what I'm really looking for and have a couple of desired neighborhoods, including one that would be PERFECT. Two days ago, I missed out on a great place in the perfect neighborhood that had everything I wanted, because someone else replied to the ad first. :angry: I'm still disappointed! (You can tell I'm upset because I'm using lots of smilies. ;) Okay, now I'm doing it on purpose. :D )

Now THAT would be funny! I know that you really wanted to be very convenient to the St. Paul campus. Are you happy with how your commute worked out? (Or at least how it looks on paper?)

haven't signed the contract yet, but if i end up choosing this place, i will be living about 1.5 miles from campus - something i think i will like - as this gives me the opportunity to bike or walk (both good for health) or take a bus, which i absolutely love!

when are you guys planning on moving?

haven't signed the contract yet, but if i end up choosing this place, i will be living about 1.5 miles from campus - something i think i will like - as this gives me the opportunity to bike or walk (both good for health) or take a bus, which i absolutely love!

That sounds wonderful! I'm glad that you were able to find a place in the right location. I'm trying to be within walking distance of a grocery co-op and other sorts of stores that I would frequent, while being close enough to a bus line that I could walk easily to the bus stop. Being able to walk to some part of my daily existence (such as a grocery co-op) is really important to me.

when are you guys planning on moving?

Interesting question. :) Our lease is up May 1st and we could move anytime between May 1st and August 1st, if we put our stuff in storage for the summer and stayed with family. I need to know when we're moving, though, because I'm disabled and a friend offered to take time off from work to help us load a truck and then drive it out. That's the main reason why I've been so anxious about finding a place... I have a lot of flexibility, but my spouse and my friend need notice!

That's the main reason why I've been so anxious about finding a place... I have a lot of flexibility, but my spouse and my friend need notice!

don't worry, you'll find a great place sooner or later. i am sure you are on an extensive housing search and know what exactly you are looking for, but give the area around the Roseville center a try... it's about 2 miles from campus, has groceries and restaurants right next to it and few bus lines run through it as well.

Bumping this thread. I was wait listed at at UMinnesota today. Everything I hear about the Twin Cities is great!

It seems public transportation is good, but I'm wondering if you can get by without a car at all.

Bumping this thread. I was wait listed at at UMinnesota today. Everything I hear about the Twin Cities is great!

It seems public transportation is good, but I'm wondering if you can get by without a car at all.

I'm just finishing up my undergrad in the Twin Cities, and I've gone the whole four years without a car, as have most of my friends. It's definitely doable, but you have to be willing to brave some cold weather by foot or bike, at least to get to and from bus stops. I don't leave the neighborhood around my college as much during the winter because of the cold and inconvenience, but the U has a LOT of shops, bars and restaurants in close proximity, and many bus lines running through the neighborhood, so you won't feel as claustrophobic as we do over here in residential St. Paul. You might also think about looking into a car sharing program such as HourCar. My housemate is a member and it makes life much easier when we want to go grocery shopping, head to IKEA for furniture, etc. Having a bike is also a great option, at least for the warmer months of April-November. This winter has been mild enough that I've biked through the whole season and haven't even had to break out much of the winter gear. Good luck, and enjoy the Twin Cities if you end up here!

Hi there, I went to UMN for my undergrad and while you definitely dont HAVE to have a car, it does make things a bit easier. Getting around within the city or down to the Airport/Mall is easy enough sans car, but you really cant get to the suburbs in anything resembling a quick fashion without one. There aren't really any satellite trains at the moment that go out east, north, or west. But, usually everyone knows SOMEONE with a car, and we tend to be pretty friendly about ride-sharing.

Hello all! I'm currently looking to move to Minneapolis in June and wanted to know about Near north. The area im looking at specifically is Old Highland. What are your thoughts? Is it really as dangerous as North mn? There are some really beautiful and relatively cheap apartments here that seem to outweigh anything I can find in uptown or dinkytown. http://www.oldhighland.org/

I've also seen the Arts institute apartments but I emailed 3 times and no word back! Also, I found a crime map that said Whittier is about the same as near north in crime.

Anyone know of how these measure up?

Does anyone have any experience/opinions on the University Village apartments?

Haven't lived there but had friends that have. The location is good, near campus, food, bus lines and the stadium. It will be mainly undergrads through, half of it is run by the res halls so there are C.A.s.

Went to the U for undergrad - lived in Minneapolis, without a car, and also lived the commuter life living in the suburbs driving to campus. Up for answering any questions.

The Twin Cities are fantastic. :)

Does anybody know any information about the following buildings:

University Commons

Stadium View

Keeler Apartments

I was almost seting up a deal to University Commons, however, as I am international student, they asked for a 3 month securiti deposit. So, I considered awful to pay a huge amount of money without seeing the place before. Then, I am here asking specifically about this place, to know if the place pays off this huge security deposit.

Thanks in advance

I just got an acceptance from here and considering visiting in February. Anyone still at the University can tell me where I should go or visit while I am there? I will probably only be there for a weekend or 2-3 days.

Anyone else got accepted who wants to hang out? I promise I am normal. :)

I just got an acceptance from here and considering visiting in February. Anyone still at the University can tell me where I should go or visit while I am there? I will probably only be there for a weekend or 2-3 days.

Anyone else got accepted who wants to hang out? I promise I am normal. :)

Well, it looks like the Minneapolis thread has been largely abandoned, so as a native of the area I'll jump in and answer your question.  Please do come visit the Twin Cities; I've lived other places around the country and the world, and it's in general great to live here.  The climate is the main drawback.  It's freaking cold today.  We have cold weather from about November to March, and relatively hot and humid weather June-August.

Dinkytown is the main undergraduate "ghetto" -- definitely worth a look for the business district around 4th and 14th, but don't rent an apartment there unless you want to listen to other people's partying all night, especially on the weekends.  If I am not mistaken, Bob Dylan lived in what became the Loring Pasta Bar, which you can still see (and is a very good place for dinner.)  Most grad students either live in NE Mpls (north, and to the east of the river) or in South/Uptown.  

I would say you should get to the MIA and the Walker if you like art.  Pick up a Citypages or a VitaMN at a cafe and see what's going on.  The Minneapolis theater scene is famous, but I still haven't really scratched the surface.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Do you know what a decent price for rent would be? I was accepted to U of Minn with a rather small stipend (25% assistantship) and am doing some research into whether or not I could make it work.

Do you know what a decent price for rent would be? I was accepted to U of Minn with a rather small stipend (25% assistantship) and am doing some research into whether or not I could make it work.

Well, my studio in Dinkytown a few years ago was about 575 or 600.  I've been living with family since then.  I would think you could get a one bedroom in the 700 range.  PM me if you want to bounce neighborhoods/addresses off me.  Though everyone has different ideas about safety (and I am male, FWIW.)

Edited by Illusio80