NSF DDIG

spinnergal

Whoopsie, are you looking at the "external review began on" date or the "status date" in fastlane? Last season, the external review date corresponded with the review panel meeting rather than the day it was sent to reviewers (although the name is quite misleading). Not sure if things are the same this year or different.

Any ideas on the time lag between external review date and notifications? It's my understanding they send out the offered awards soon afterwards (within a week or two) but I have no idea where I got that idea. Any one else?

Any ideas on the time lag between external review date and notifications? It's my understanding they send out the offered awards soon afterwards (within a week or two) but I have no idea where I got that idea. Any one else?

I didn't look at my fastlane status post-applying, pre-notification, but I received an e-mail 3.5 months after the application (fall) deadline, which said I had been recommended by the first panel, and that I'd hear about the division panel in 8-10 weeks. my fastlane status said 'pending' after this e-mail, for almost 10 weeks, when it switched to 'recommended.' I still haven't received the final notification; it apparently takes several weeks more for the office that disperses the money to get everything processed, after the division panel concurs with the first recommendation. I hope that helps!

Last cycle, I heard (declined) about a week and a half after the "external review date" which corresponded with the review panel meeting. I have been told by other students that they send out the definite rejections and recommendations early. However, the "maybes" may not find out until two months later that they are either recommended or rejected for funding.

Actually, I have no idea what I was looking at- I am afraid to go back into FastLane and check further. No news allows me to put my fingers in my ears for a while longer.

Not a peep to anyone in my program. We're all down in the wenner-gren dumps, maybe it's good to have it spaced out a little.

Thanks, appletree and browneyedgirl, for the info, so helpful!

The waiting is driving me a little batty this year. Heard another of another person who got a yes email (cult anth) but still no word for me. Trying to figure out if any rejections have been sent out--anyone have any info?

Thanks Celeste Stein for the information. I am just so curious if they have sent out any rejections--or in other words, do I have any reason to be hopeful that I made it past the first round of rejections if my review panel was at the end of March, or are they just waiting to send them all out at once?

I'm also cult anthro, but haven't heard anything yet. Here's the schedule of proposal review panels this month: http://www.nsf.gov/events/advisory.jsp

According to that schedule, the program officers for cult anthro are the contacts for a BCS panel meeting on Apr 23 & 24. so maybe we'll hear next week.

Are you sure those are DDIG review panels? My panel was supposed to happen on April 12th but that's not an available date there. Perhaps that is the "regular" grant review panels?

Hi --

I received an NSG DDIG last year in Sociology, and the announcement date for approvals was not until June 24th. My email said that the panel met on May 5-6 and were were not informed until June 24th -- so that's right about 6 weeks. I would say that if the panel did not meet until April 12th, then (if last year is a model) then you won't be hearing until late May.

Remember...takes a long time! A friend of mine who was a PhD candidate in Poli Sci also got a DDIG last year -- and her original deadline was exactly a month earlier (Jan. not Feb.) and her notification date was also exactly one month earlier (late May, not late June).

So, I think that these dates are centralized and formal, and that decisions have been made quite a bit earlier, but there is really a lot of bureaucracy involved for those who are accepted, they go over your line by line budget, and title, and everything, and ask you to make small changes...so I think that there is a lot of close reading that takes time. Good luck though!!

Snowblossom, I don't know for sure if decisons for DDIG will be made during those panels.

My "external review" was scheduled for March 19. When I applied last year, the date for external review given in Fastlane coincided with the cult anthro proposal review panel, and I got my rejection two weeks after that date. This year, I emailed Laura Ahearn about something back in early February, and she replied that they had sent my proposal to the reviewers already, so it seems like the external review dates in Fastlane coincide with cult anthro panels again, but who knows? It does seem odd that no one has heard of any rejections yet.

Are you sure those are DDIG review panels? My panel was supposed to happen on April 12th but that's not an available date there. Perhaps that is the "regular" grant review panels?

They have been updating the list of scheduled panels as the days pass. So it is possible there was a review panel scheduled for April 12th that has been removed since it is in the past. You applied to a different program than cultural anthropology, yes?

They have been updating the list of scheduled panels as the days pass. So it is possible there was a review panel scheduled for April 12th that has been removed since it is in the past. You applied to a different program than cultural anthropology, yes?

Yeah, the law and society one.

I've also heard of someone funded a couple weeks ago in Cultural Anthropology (I didn't know about this before) - review date in late March. So there are tiers of recommendations it seems, and this person must have been "recommended - high."

Reading the posts on this thread from a year ago is consoling. It seems that recommendations should still be going out for a while, maybe even as late as July (though of course there was the budget crisis last year). Not time to give up yet, though it is definitely strange that no rejections seem to have gone out for Cultural Anthropology.

Edited by Kexin Renlei

I agree Kexin that it is strange that no one has heard of any rejections. I wonder if it means that there really has not been any rejections sent out yet, or those who have been rejected know already and have stopped checking grad cafe. The waiting is already driving me crazy, so if it is until July I might just explode :)

I'm out too - I guess this was the first round of rejections cause I was "not recommended" (as opposed to "recommended - low" or the like). For future readers of this thread - my friend and I with panel review dates a week apart received our rejections by email within an hour of each other.