Buffalo, NY

Guest Ms. Geology

1 hour ago, Karisjns said:

Thanks for all of the info!

Do you know anything about the new Axis 360 student apartments near South campus? 

You said crime is bad in the South campus area, should I be concerned for my safety in a place like Axis or is it pretty well contained? I know it is a gated community. 

I've also heard that there is a free shuttle that will take you from South campus to North campus. Is that pretty accurate? 

I went to undergrad in an incredibly small town in Oklahoma, so I'm sure downtown Buffalo and the campus will seem exponentially more exciting that where I went lol.

But I am nervous about the crime and lack of public transportation. I've heard that a few times now. 

No problem!

I don't know anything about the Axis 360 apartments in particular, but if it's gated you should definitely be fine there. The majority of South campus' issues come from the Bailey Ave side of campus, which is opposite of where those apartments are. You'll definitely notice some shady people when you're going grocery shopping around there, but as long as you go out during the day and/or use the buddy system, you'll be fine. I've never personally felt threatened. 

Yes, there is also a free shuttle from North to South campus that is run by UB. I think you'll need your UB ID card to use it, so make sure you get that as soon as possible. 

A lot of people trash talk Buffalo but I personally think it's a great place, especially if you'll only be here for a couple of years and won't have the chance for the novelty to wear off. People here are really passionate about our sports teams, specifically the Bills and Sabres, but our lacrosse and minor league baseball teams also have a decent following. There's a handful of concert venues that get a variety of concerts year round, Shea's theatre downtown gets some decent shows/musicals, and they've recently established Canalside which is a multi-purpose outdoor activities area (free fitness classes in the summer, ice skating in the winter, etc). Allentown and the Elmwood Village are the "trendy" areas stacked with cute little local restaurants and a variety of bars, which are open til 4am. It's definitely not too exciting, but there definitely isn't a shortage of things to do either. While it is important to be aware of where the crimes and such tend to happen, the "bad" areas seem to be pretty well contained so as long as you don't wander into those areas by yourself, you won't have any issues (and even then, I think the majority of the crimes are targeted anyways). 

• 2 years later...

specifically wrt a visibly lesbian person and trans woman. I read something that Buffalo is apparently the most homophobic city in the U.S.....? general safety = on the line? (as a queer but also as anyone--is the crime really bad?)

also any way I can avoid driving to campus every day? (meaning walking or public transit)

thnx