Getting off the Waitlist

jmacnomad

Being on a waitlist for your top school is like that syndrome my sister (psych student) told me about: silver medal syndrome. Apparently, getting the silver medal is worse than getting a bronze because you were ALMOST there, but no cigar. Bronze -- you're just happy to have made the podium.

To those of who made the waitlist, we are so tantalizingly close. We are qualified, but there's something, something in our applications that wasn't up to snuff and thus, we weren't one of those lucky few who got a first round offer. What was it? We may never know. It may not even have been us, it may have been a circumstance out of our control, but it still means no offer. A waitlist may be better than an outright rejection, but if it means I don't get in, it's just dying slowly and in more agony. (Let me speak in hyperbole. I've earned it!)

Either way, if we don't get in, a waitlist is a promising sign -- it means we should apply again and better ourselves/hope for a less competitive cohort, but that dooms us to another year of this limbo. Not so comforting after all, really...

I'm getting really depressed about this. Sigh. Glad I have this forum to cry on.

To those of who made the waitlist, we are so tantalizingly close. We are qualified, but there's something, something in our applications that wasn't up to snuff and thus, we weren't one of those lucky few who got a first round offer. What was it? We may never know. It may not even have been us, it may have been a circumstance out of our control, but it still means no offer.

I don't think the waitlist necessarily means we were not up to snuff. I actually think it means that we are. There are so many factors that go into the decisions and those factors can sometimes just be arbitrary. I've reposted in several places, but I think it gives a good overview of how complicated and almost random the process can be. Don't get me wrong, waiting sucks and I'm obsessive compulsive about checking my email and grad cafe, but in the end, I know I'm capable, qualified, and have a shot at getting in. I also know that I need a bit of luck and some good karma to push the scale in my direction.

18 days to April 15th! The clock is ticking, albeit slowly, folks.

I guess the wait list is in a way like the MLB hall of fame. Some people are first ballot. Being on the wait list is like getting in on the second or third ballot. Either way you are in the hof. Maybe this makes sense.

I just found that out I am waitlisted at my top program. For some reason though, I'm not bummed out at all (for now), rather excited to be honest. I feel as if they believe in me, especially since I didn't believe in myself and only applied "just to see what happens." Granted the odds are stacked against me, I'm going to wait this sucker out and "see what happens."

:)

Edited by NUcat72

I applied to 7 aud programs, and got rejected by 3, wait listed by 3, and I am still waiting to hear from 1 school. I was just wondering if anyone knows what the liklihood is of me getting accepted from the wait list. I am just having a hard time waiting. This whole application process is so nerve wracking. None of my friends ,or boyfriend, understand what its like waiting to hear from these schools. My friends don't want to attend grad school, and my boyfriend already graduated college & has a job. Not to mention that if I do get into a school I'm hoping I get accepted into the 1 school in my immediate area so I don't have to move by August. I live with my boyfriend, and having to move would be a pain. Needless to say, I am stressed out. I can't wait for April 14 to be here. I'm tired of waiting!:blink:

I applied to 7 aud programs, and got rejected by 3, wait listed by 3, and I am still waiting to hear from 1 school. I was just wondering if anyone knows what the liklihood is of me getting accepted from the wait list. I am just having a hard time waiting. This whole application process is so nerve wracking. None of my friends ,or boyfriend, understand what its like waiting to hear from these schools. My friends don't want to attend grad school, and my boyfriend already graduated college & has a job. Not to mention that if I do get into a school I'm hoping I get accepted into the 1 school in my immediate area so I don't have to move by August. I live with my boyfriend, and having to move would be a pain. Needless to say, I am stressed out. I can't wait for April 14 to be here. I'm tired of waiting!:blink:

I'm in the same situation, none of my friends or boyfriend understand this process..Where did you apply?

The George Washington University's Elliott School of International Affairs had 2,100 applicants, they accepted 350. I have no clue how many they offered a spot on the waitlist though.

I was placed on the waitlist for ESIA. Accepted to AU SIS and need to respond by 4/21. ESIA say they will give definitive answer by 5/21. Very politely said the same when I asked for expedited decision by the April date.

May take the SIS option since I believe they're on par (not sure though). However the SIS is basically a probation (Grad Certificate for a semester since my college grades weren't great), but I don't believe I can ask for an extensions.

Haven't heard from my safety (George Mason).

I was placed on the waitlist for ESIA. Accepted to AU SIS and need to respond by 4/21. ESIA say they will give definitive answer by 5/21. Very politely said the same when I asked for expedited decision by the April date.

May take the SIS option since I believe they're on par (not sure though). However the SIS is basically a probation (Grad Certificate for a semester since my college grades weren't great), but I don't believe I can ask for an extensions.

Haven't heard from my safety (George Mason).

Yes, I know ESIA's May 21st thing is ridiculous. They should be working on ranking the waitlist application so that when May 1st comes around and they know exactly how many offers were declined they can send out offers to those at the top, which shouldn't take 3 weeks especially if decisions will be posted online again. And if they had an April 15th deadline like everyone else we'd know even sooner. GW is still my dream school, but I'm kind of in the same boat as you, I feel like if I do get into AU I'll probably get really used to the idea of going there because it's still in my dream city and yeah it's basically on par, at least on par enough for me. I just don't want to wait anymore. I don't want to be still wondering, waiting, hoping or whatever in May, I want to be at peace and excited. I think American will do that for me. So GW will always be in the back of my mind but I don't think I'll be holding my breath. Plus I'd be insane to decline American in hopes of admission at GW weeks and weeks later. So I will absolutely accept American, I don't know how it'll work if I do get into GW, will cross that bridge when I get to it.

I'd still be waiting on Mason too if the Global Affairs coordinator hadn't given away my decision in an email she sent in response to me simply asking when I would hear from them. I was glad she gave it away, I really needed that.

I got a more complete vision of what my waitlist situation was like. I'm ranked #10 on the waitlist, and they hope to admit 20 students for the 2011 Cohort. 50-50 chance of bust? The plus side is that this school is not what many people would consider their top choice. (But it's MY top choice for many reasons.)

Anyway, I should probably know more in two weeks, because students are supposed to accept with a deposit two weeks after they receive their offer letters. I got my waitlist notification on Thursday. So. Here's to hoping that I survive the upcoming weeks...

As always, best of luck to you all.

I found out this week that I got into cincinnati u, but they didn't offer funding. So far they are the only school to have accepted me. I emailed a few other schools I'm wait listed for & asked if they knew if they were going to make me an offer. I guess the only thing to do is wait a few days to see if they respond. But I have to give cincinnati my reply by April 15. Is the national deadline April 14 or 15? If it's the 14, then do programs start to contact applicants on the wait list the next day? I only ask because I'm hoping to get funding from a school.

I just got off a waitlist after one admit declined. It happens, and I know how hard it is to be patient, but keep some positivity. Keep your credentials in front of the DGS and POIs; if you're seroius about attending there, keep them up-to-date on new research your conducting, as well as your interest in attending.

It's exactly what I did, and I'm sure it truly helped.

Still waiting....Thanks to all those who have shared your success stories!

I've read through posts back to 2009 about getting off the waitlist. I'm trying to stay positive by reading about other people's success. :) As the 15th approaches, I'm needing this more and more! Right now I have no funded admits and I'm just hoping that one still works out. Best of luck to all those out there still waiting.

I had to call the department at one of my schools before I found out I was on the wait list. They didn't bother to tell me what number I was, and I didn't think to ask.

Honestly, I have already given up on that school. My thought is that they didn't have the decency to tell me I was waitlisted, and if I am accepted at this point I'm not optimistic about funding. I've already made plans to go ahead and accept the only offer I've gotten since it comes with full funding, but of course, I'm going to wait until the 15th just in case the other school gets back to me with good news.

I had to call the department at one of my schools before I found out I was on the wait list. They didn't bother to tell me what number I was, and I didn't think to ask.

Honestly, I have already given up on that school. My thought is that they didn't have the decency to tell me I was waitlisted, and if I am accepted at this point I'm not optimistic about funding. I've already made plans to go ahead and accept the only offer I've gotten since it comes with full funding, but of course, I'm going to wait until the 15th just in case the other school gets back to me with good news.

I hear you. I'm thinking of calling a school that I've been hearing nothing but crickets from, though people have been getting accepted and rejected via email for weeks now. It's not a school I particularly care about, but the lack of response is annoying. I don't know if it's overly optimistic to assume I'm on a waitlist -- if I was rejected, I would know immediately as they seem to notify via email -- but I could just be rejected and they're dilly-dallying on sending me my form rejection email.

Oh well. Best of luck to you.

Got an email about an hour ago from POI telling me I got in off the wait list. It had been about 2 weeks since I last heard from them and emailed them this morning asking for an update. Best update I ever got.

Got an email about an hour ago from POI telling me I got in off the wait list. It had been about 2 weeks since I last heard from them and emailed them this morning asking for an update. Best update I ever got.

Wahoo! Congrats!

You should have started that sentence first by saying, "Good news everyone!"

You should have started that sentence first by saying, "Good news everyone!"

I am angry with myself now. Props to you mooncake. I am going to take a mulligan and go for it just below this.

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! I got off a wait list.

Just isn't as good as it should have been.

I was notified that I was added to a "short wait-list" at the University of Washington. The letter was fairly up-beat and seemed to imply that they have every intention of clearing their wait-list. The letter also stated that I might not hear from them until May or early June.

Anyone have experience with this type of verbiage? Should I even get remotely hopeful?

I was notified that I was added to a "short wait-list" at the University of Washington. The letter was fairly up-beat and seemed to imply that they have every intention of clearing their wait-list. The letter also stated that I might not hear from them until May or early June.

Anyone have experience with this type of verbiage? Should I even get remotely hopeful?

Short is good! Don't start booking your tickets, but at least scope out the rentals! :)

I've noticed a few other forums and results of people getting off the waitlist! Someone got off the list at on of the programs I'm waiting on. I'm trying to keep the faith. I feel like I live vicariously through people who get in off the wait list and are overjoyed. It makes me happy to see others feel relieved and excited.

Edited by jmacnomad