Getting off the Waitlist

jmacnomad

Congrats to those getting off that list! I've seen some posts about updating the admissions committees about research and your continued interest in them, but what if you're not pursuing a research based degree and have nothing really to update? When I sent in my email confirming my spot on the list I just added something like as a former Peace Corps volunteer, International Development at GWU is my first choice program...something of that ilk. I asked about rank and number of people on it, but was told they won't know any of that until after April 20, which is the deadline for confirming your spot. Then they say they will get back to us by May 21st, and according to last year's posts about it, it was still the middle of May when people were waiting. So what can I do, if anything to bolster my chances? I don't have a job in my field, not taking classes or doing research. I feel like it would just seem desperate to send a random "I'm still really interested" email. Am I wrong about that?

Congrats to those getting off that list! I've seen some posts about updating the admissions committees about research and your continued interest in them, but what if you're not pursuing a research based degree and have nothing really to update? When I sent in my email confirming my spot on the list I just added something like as a former Peace Corps volunteer, International Development at GWU is my first choice program...something of that ilk. I asked about rank and number of people on it, but was told they won't know any of that until after April 20, which is the deadline for confirming your spot. Then they say they will get back to us by May 21st, and according to last year's posts about it, it was still the middle of May when people were waiting. So what can I do, if anything to bolster my chances? I don't have a job in my field, not taking classes or doing research. I feel like it would just seem desperate to send a random "I'm still really interested" email. Am I wrong about that?

I agree with you that a international development masters in DC is going to be more interested in your work experience than your research, but they are also very interested in fit and potential. One idea is to see what is hot off the presses at GW in terms of international development and see if you can connect to that.(Did a prof write a new book, speak at a conference, produce some research? Did the program start a new partnership, get a new internship, or expand in a new direction?) It doesn't necessarily add anything to your resume, but it shows you're on top of your game and that you are a good fit at GW for xyz reasons. Since you recently responded to them, I'd send that email right after their deadline for their first pics to respond.

I agree with you that a international development masters in DC is going to be more interested in your work experience than your research, but they are also very interested in fit and potential. One idea is to see what is hot off the presses at GW in terms of international development and see if you can connect to that.(Did a prof write a new book, speak at a conference, produce some research? Did the program start a new partnership, get a new internship, or expand in a new direction?) It doesn't necessarily add anything to your resume, but it shows you're on top of your game and that you are a good fit at GW for xyz reasons. Since you recently responded to them, I'd send that email right after their deadline for their first pics to respond.

Hmm that's a really great suggestion! I'll definitely wait until a few days after the deadline so that way I can ask if they have any idea of numbers and rankings as a way of "just mentioning" my continued interest and any new connections I can make to myself and the program. Thanks very much!

Hmm that's a really great suggestion! I'll definitely wait until a few days after the deadline so that way I can ask if they have any idea of numbers and rankings as a way of "just mentioning" my continued interest and any new connections I can make to myself and the program. Thanks very much!

You're welcome--RPCVs have to stick together! I was in Morocco 03-05. Where were you?

I sent an email to two of the schools I've been wailisted at reiterating my interest and asking for an update. One of the schools replied that that at this point it looks "unlikely but not impossible" that I will receive an acceptance. I'm trying to focus on the not impossible part.

You're welcome--RPCVs have to stick together! I was in Morocco 03-05. Where were you?

Wow, we sure do! I was in Ukraine 07-09. I taught English and wrote a small grant, among a few other projects. It was pretty tough but on the most basic level I knew I had to make it all the way in order to get to the next stage of my life. At the time I wasn't necessarily planning on grad school right after, but it sure has come in handy to say the least. Wow...Morocco.

Received an update from my top pick (of the schools I haven't been rejected from already) that they have made offers for their only 2 slots for next year; however, they expect at least one -- maybe both -- to turn them down. I was told I am on a very short list of go-to candidates should that happen.

While it's not an ADMIT, I'll take it. Hopefully better news will follow. :)

Edited by adstatus

I finally got accepted off of the wait list at one of my programs today! This is actually my second year applying to grad schools. Last year I didn't get it anywhere and had to re-interview for my current job which was not fun at all. After getting wait listed again this year I was not feeling very optimistic. When the e-mail came this evening I promptly spazzed out by jumping around and randomly punching my poor husband who unfortunately had a migraine today. Then I proceeded to melt into a puddle of relief on the floor and run around our apartment getting our cats riled up as well. Even if you have to apply two or more years in a row it will happen eventually! :)

@Kessith, Congratulations!!! Did you apply to the same schools both times?

Thanks! I did apply to the same schools and also added more the second time around. First time I applied to four schools, this time thirteen schools. o.O

When the e-mail came this evening I promptly spazzed out by jumping around and randomly punching my poor husband who unfortunately had a migraine today. Then I proceeded to melt into a puddle of relief on the floor and run around our apartment getting our cats riled up as well. Even if you have to apply two or more years in a row it will happen eventually! :)

I love it! Best story yet. Congrats!

One of the schools I'm waitlisted at emailed me last night to see if I was still a "free agent." I wrote them back and said "yes, yes, yes!" They said they hope to go out to some waitlisted candidates in the next day or so....Oh I hope it's me! Remaining optimistic...

Edited by jmacnomad

One of the schools I'm waitlisted at emailed me last night to see if I was still a "free agent." I wrote them back and said "yes, yes, yes!" They said they hope to go out to some waitlisted candidates in the next day or so....Oh I hope it's me! Remaining optimistic...

Wow! Great news. Good luck! Hopefully this late date means that the people ahead of you on the waitlist have already made other plans. Let us know what happens so I may live vicariously through you!

Edited by everygirl

I hope good news is on its way. Us wait listers have to stick together.

that sounds very hopeful! congrats! which school? (if i may be so bold to ask!)

I hope it's good news! Fingers crossed!

So I'm in my office today in a cyber-meeting and suddenly my phone beeps. Since this application business has made me addicted to any sound of notification from my communication channels, of course I pick up my phone to see what's up. Low and behold, I see that "Congratulations" that I've been waiting for so long. I GOT OFF THE WAITLIST at a fantastic program that I would be thrilled to attend. I'm so very happy. Of course, I have no idea what happened in the last 15 minutes of that meeting. I think I said "Oh that's interesting" a lot while I read my acceptance and funding letters. 5 years of funding as a TA. Life is good.

Good luck to all those waiting. It certainly happens and I'm sending good karma to all.

Edited by jmacnomad

So I'm in my office today in a cyber-meeting and suddenly my phone beeps. Since this application business has made me addicted to any sound of notification from my communication channels, of course I pick up my phone to see what's up. Low and behold, I see that "Congratulations" that I've been waiting for so long. I GOT OFF THE WAITLIST at a fantastic program that I would be thrilled to attend. I'm so very happy. Of course, I have no idea what happened in the last 15 minutes of that meeting. I think I said "Oh that's interesting" a lot while I read my acceptance and funding letters. 5 years of funding as a TA. Life is good.

Good luck to all those waiting. It certainly happens and I'm sending good karma to all.

Congratulations! I'm happy for you. :)

I've been waitlisted at 2, maybe 3 programs (the third hasn't contacted me yet but I have seen rejected and accepted posts on the results forum). Going NUTS over here. This is my second round of PhD apps. Last year I didn't get in anywhere so I'm thankful for the 2(3?) waitlist spots - especially as one spot is at my top choice and the other comes with excellent funding - but terrified that nothing will pan out and then where am I at?

A question for you all if you'd be so kind to help a gal out. I am just short of guaranteed a spot in the phd program at the school I just got my MA from. Funding is questionable, it's in a city I've been dying to leave since I got here, and it's in a related field, not my actual chosen field. On the bright side, I'd have an awesome advisor who would push me really hard. The application is due Apr. 15th. Do I apply? If I don't get into any of the 3 programs I'm waiting on, it would be a backup. The other backup plan would be to get my butt to DC to find a job in hopes of boosting my resume for another round of apps in a year or two. I'm (only?) 25. Do I settle for a mediocre program (with a great advisor) or take my chances in the real world before playing the application game again?

Ugh - here's keeping my fingers crossed that I get accepted off a waitlist! Best of luck to everyone!!!

I found out this week that I got into cincinnati u, but they didn't offer funding. So far they are the only school to have accepted me. I emailed a few other schools I'm wait listed for & asked if they knew if they were going to make me an offer. I guess the only thing to do is wait a few days to see if they respond. But I have to give cincinnati my reply by April 15. Is the national deadline April 14 or 15? If it's the 14, then do programs start to contact applicants on the wait list the next day? I only ask because I'm hoping to get funding from a school.

I don't know about the national deadline thing, but I was placed on a waitlist on March 8th and then offered acceptance by the same school like a week later. It is probably varies depending on the school, but at least some of them notify people as space becomes available. If you don't have to deposit anything to a school right away, you can always accept an offer and then withdraw if you get accepted somewhere else. This probably isn't the best practice, but it is your future.Only do this if you would really be interested in attending if nothing else works out. you still have a few days, so try not to get too worked up as there is still time and you don't need to make any decisions just yet. You need to do what is best for you- not necessarily what is easiest for the admit board.

You may get a better reply from schools if you call and ask them how they fill open spaces, i.e. if they notify applicants as space becomes available or if they plan to contact all potential candidates at once- and soon. Try to be patient with whoever you speak with, but explain that the deadline is fast approaching and you have some important decisions to make. The person you end up talking to probably won't be able to tell you if you are being considered any more than any other wait listed applicant, but should definitely be able to tell you how they notify wait listed applicants of open positions. If he/she says that they inform people as space opens, at least you can make a more informed decision the closer it comes to April 15.

Hope this helps... Best of Luck!!

Congrats. Good vibes all around this thread.

I'm so happy for you! That is great news. I think it's awesome that you, the person who started this thread for hope for the waitlisted, got into the program you wanted!

Good luck to everyone out there . See, it does happen!