Charlottesville, VA

Guest guest

How much is the fee for a parking pass at/near UVA?

Hi RPCV Cameroon - I don't know if you've already figured this out, but I park my car in the Ivy/Emmett Garage (long term) and it's a couple hundred. Day parking passes are definitely cheaper, I just don't know how much so. 

Here is the actual link to parking permit info - http://www.virginia.edu/parking/permits/find/students/index.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Charlottesville people! I'm most likely coming there next term for Ph.D.

Quick question: Do you think is it at all possible to live off 1500$ as two married people in there? We can share one room and cook at home too.

Hi, hopefully this isn't too late.

I'm in Cville right now. It's hard for me to guess not knowing how you and your spouse prefer to budget, of course. But here's some of my info to help. My husband and I pay $775/mo for rent (water included), plus ~$60 for electric and trash. (We don't have internet at home.) My husband and I live in a 1BR/1BA in the greater downtown area. We bus/walk/bike 2.5mi to UVa for work.

Honestly, that's as cheap as you're going to get without additional roommates or moving further out and needed to drive + pay to park.

Edited by babybird

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, hopefully this isn't too late.

I'm in Cville right now. It's hard for me to guess not knowing how you and your spouse prefer to budget, of course. But here's some of my info to help. My husband and I pay $775/mo for rent (water included), plus ~$60 for electric and trash. (We don't have internet at home.) My husband and I live in a 1BR/1BA in the greater downtown area. We bus/walk/bike 2.5mi to UVa for work.

Honestly, that's as cheap as you're going to get without additional roommates or moving further out and needed to drive + pay to park.

Thanks. That is helpful and it is now certain that we will come to Charlottesville.

We always liked having additional flatmates. Currently we live in a 3 rooms house in the same room with my and my spouse, plus with 2 other flatmates.

It seems in principle that we can live off solely with my own stipend if it comes to that. We just need to arrange that.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know there's been plenty of info about apartments up to now, but does anyone have any recommendations in particular for pet-friendly apartment complexes?

I have a friend who rents from MSC Apartments, and she has a pet. Lots of grad students/professionals live in the various MSC buildings.

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

I am considering accepting an MA offer for UVA (I will decide after coming down to visit in a few weeks).

In the meantime, I have some questions. I would likely be living alone, and willing to buy a car if there is no choice. Does anyone have any recommendations that are more current? Where would the best place to live be if I want to be near a general store with food, at least?

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Bumping this thread up because I'm moving down to Charlottesville in August to start my PhD at UVA! I'd love to chat with other folks who are also moving down there in the fall (or who live there now, whatever :D). Any new advice or suggestions for someone moving to the area for the first time? I'm moving down there having never been before. 

On 5/5/2016 at 10:10 AM, s said:

Hi all,

Bumping this thread up because I'm moving down to Charlottesville in August to start my PhD at UVA! I'd love to chat with other folks who are also moving down there in the fall (or who live there now, whatever :D). Any new advice or suggestions for someone moving to the area for the first time? I'm moving down there having never been before. 

Seconding this! Trying to find a place to live has been so overwhelming! Any advice would be welcome!

• 9 months later...

Reopening the OP's question as it's been a decade since it was asked, and the most recent answers are from a number of years back. What's Charlottesville's queer community like, and how diverse is it? PM me if you're not comfortable going into it on here. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, RevTheory1126 said:

Bumping this thread!

Would love insights into public transit/biking options in Charlottesville... considering dropping down to one car, spouse will likely use it to commute... any advice?

I grew up in Charlottesville, so my perspective is a bit different, but my experience is that walking/biking/public transit (busses) is great downtown/near UVA but outside of that area, it is a lot harder. I think one car is doable, but it definitely depends largely on where you live. Where will your spouse be commuting to?

Just now, stereopticons said:

I grew up in Charlottesville, so my perspective is a bit different, but my experience is that walking/biking/public transit (busses) is great downtown/near UVA but outside of that area, it is a lot harder. I think one car is doable, but it definitely depends largely on where you live. Where will your spouse be commuting to?

She's not locked in anywhere yet, but she currently is a family nurse practitioner in a rural area. She would like to look for primary care jobs in the areas outside of Charlottesville. We both agree we would like to live as close to downtown/UVA as possible, since we at least know where my commute will be...

31 minutes ago, RevTheory1126 said:

She's not locked in anywhere yet, but she currently is a family nurse practitioner in a rural area. She would like to look for primary care jobs in the areas outside of Charlottesville. We both agree we would like to live as close to downtown/UVA as possible, since we at least know where my commute will be...

That is probably doable with one car, then. I'm sure she knows this already, but there are quite a few rural areas surrounding Charlottesville. Good luck! It's a cool place. Let me know if you have other specific questions. 

3 hours ago, stereopticons said:

That is probably doable with one car, then. I'm sure she knows this already, but there are quite a few rural areas surrounding Charlottesville. Good luck! It's a cool place. Let me know if you have other specific questions. 

Great! Once we get through visit day, I'll circle back around. Thanks!!

• 1 month later...

Visit day went really well, checked out a lot of apartments, most were designed with college life in mind (nothing wrong with that, but coming out of "adult life" made me much pickier about amenities I could live with or without). We are applying to live at Eagles Landing. I see it has mixed reviews online, but most are older.... Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2017 at 9:53 AM, RevTheory1126 said:

Visit day went really well, checked out a lot of apartments, most were designed with college life in mind (nothing wrong with that, but coming out of "adult life" made me much pickier about amenities I could live with or without). We are applying to live at Eagles Landing. I see it has mixed reviews online, but most are older.... Any thoughts?

I'm looking for housing too. Eagles Landing doesn't look bad. it's a bit pricer than some other apartments I've found, and it's a bit further than I'd like to be from campus. Other than that, it looks nice.  I'm having a hard time finding an affordable, pet-friendly apt.

1 hour ago, seung said:

I'm looking for housing too. Eagles Landing doesn't look bad. it's a bit pricer than some other apartments I've found, and it's a bit further than I'd like to be from campus. Other than that, it looks nice.  I'm having a hard time finding an affordable, pet-friendly apt.

On 3/31/2017 at 6:53 AM, RevTheory1126 said:

I'm a former UVa undergrad. Never lived at Eagles Landing but had a few friends who did. Perhaps management/practices have changed since I graduated but I wouldn't recommend it, especially if you are relying on the shuttle to get to/from campus. I don't know if they still offer the roommate service (where they group applicants together into 3 or 4 bedroom apartments) but one of my friends had a horrible experience with a destructive roommate and the management wouldn't do anything to help her out. Things might be fine if you have alternative means of transportation and are planning on renting a one-bedroom, but I'd still poke around on www.brac.com and see if there are any better options. I'd avoid the areas close to Rugby Rd and the Corner and the big apartment complexes on JPA if you're trying to find a place to live that's less undergrad-y. 

57 minutes ago, hj2012 said:

I'm a former UVa undergrad. Never lived at Eagles Landing but had a few friends who did. Perhaps management/practices have changed since I graduated but I wouldn't recommend it, especially if you are relying on the shuttle to get to/from campus. I don't know if they still offer the roommate service (where they group applicants together into 3 or 4 bedroom apartments) but one of my friends had a horrible experience with a destructive roommate and the management wouldn't do anything to help her out. Things might be fine if you have alternative means of transportation and are planning on renting a one-bedroom, but I'd still poke around on www.brac.com and see if there are any better options. I'd avoid the areas close to Rugby Rd and the Corner and the big apartment complexes on JPA if you're trying to find a place to live that's less undergrad-y. 

From your experience, would you say  that it is difficult to find a decent apartment for around $700 a month 

3 hours ago, seung said:

From your experience, would you say  that it is difficult to find a decent apartment for around $700 a month 

For a studio/one-bedroom I think it would be difficult. If you're willing to share / looking for roommates, I think $700/month is definitely doable.

So I am about to sign a lease on an apartment located off of 17th, and a couple blocks from Grady.  The area looks nice. But  The big fear I have is moving in  only to find that I can either studying or sleep at home because of loud  parties.  Can any of you speak to the typical noise level in the neighborhood? Or to how crazy it tends to get on weekends? I can handle some noise... but I don't want to be smack in the middle of party central. Too old for that.

Edited by seung

23 minutes ago, seung said:

So I am about to sign a lease on an apartment located off of 17th, and a couple blocks from Grady.  The area looks nice. But  The big fear I have is moving in  only to find that I can either studying or sleep at home because of loud  parties.  Can any of you speak to the typical noise level in the neighborhood? Or to how crazy it tends to get on weekends? I can handle some noise... but I don't want to be smack in the middle of party central. Too old for that.

17th & Grady, a block from Rugby Rd? From my memory it'll be pretty loud on weekends. Check on Google Maps the distribution of Greek orgs (fraternities/sororities) in your immediate vicinity, because that'll give you a good sense of what the partying will be like. I believe it tends to get much quieter on the other side of Grady, further from grounds. Another consideration: the train tracks run right by there if you're sensitive to that kind of noise. 

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...