Charlottesville, VA

Guest guest

Hello everybody...

I've just received an offer letter for a PhD program at UVA, and I am doing some research about it.

It seems a small, quiet city but rents seem relatively high. My stipend is 2k per month, and as a couple we are probably able to afford less than 1k for rent and the remaining goes for food and other stuff. Is my calculation ok?

I am also a little concerned about the security, so I want to learn more about the safe places near the Grounds (I just heard it in this forum!), with a decent walkability.

Any suggestions? And I'll be happy to hear more about any other stuff about the city.

Edited by Dawsh

• 1 month later...

Cville has felt safer for me than many places I have been, although I'm white so I probably can feel safer because of that. I've also been making due without a car for anyone's who's interested. Public transport is pretty bad and the hills can be intense, but between walking and biking I can do what I need to do. No weekend hiking trips but who's got time for that.

In terms of neighborhoods, the ones closest to grounds (Along Jefferson Park Avenue, or JPA) and just north of grounds (South of Grady) tend to be full of undergrads. Grady in particular is frat row. Fifeville is full of a lot of grads/med students/young professionals, and it's not a horrible walk (~30 mins depending) to grounds. 10th & Paige (South of Preston, North of Main, East of Grady near Venable) has fewer undergrads and is a shorter walk (~20 mins) while also being close to downtown. I also know people who commute from "downtown", which is more of a 45 minute walk but you could take the Trolley, a free bus route that is fairly reliable.

It might not be impossible to find a studio or 1bd for 1k, but it will be harder. 1.2 k is more likely.

• 9 months later...

Hi all! 

I'm looking for a 1 ba/1br apartment that is pet friendly (a small corgi) with parking. Ideally, I'd be able to walk/bike to campus. I'm okay with paying up to 2k/month for rent. I used to live in Charleston, South Carolina so I'm used to exorbitant rent lol. Where should I look? I have never been to Cville, though I am visiting in a few weeks and would love to have some recommendations on places to look for apts, eating, fun things to do, etc. 

Edited by lilgreenblatt

• 2 weeks later...

I was an undergrad at UVA. Lots of grad student live in the UHeights area, rent is pretty affordable (should be able to get a decent place for 600-700 a month, less if you have roomates! The Corner is where most of the fun restaurants and bars and such are but not everything is open/safe right now.

Edited by boudreaux

U-Heights rent has gone up over time. The cheapest they have currently is about $900 + electricity and internet for a 1bed/1bath. It is the cheapest apartment complex 1 bedroom in Cville as far as I know. I lived there and it's fine. Kitchen is pretty small and not the nicest but living room actually pretty decent sized imo. They take pets and are walking distance to campus. Used to have a bus to campus but since COVID that route has been cancelled. IDK if it will ever come back (I hope it will...).

Most other Cville apartment complexes the lowest rent is $1250/month. That being said they're pretty nice imo if you can pay north of $1300/month for a 1 bedroom. You might find cheaper rent with an individual landlord, but also more difficult in pandemic times.

Edited by 1996kayden