Is HGSE master's worth $60k debt?

On 3/29/2011 at 3:24 PM, hopingforgradschool said:

So I got accepted to HGSE's master's program in prevention science and haven't received financial aid info yet, but the worst case scenario is I will be borrowing the maximum $60k or so. Do you guys think this investment will be worth it? I will also have $35k in loans from undergrad, so my total will be just under $100k!!! I will also be going straight from undergrad so I won't have full-time work experience under my belt. Prevention science does have a required practicum so that will give me work experience. I also volunteered throughout high school and for several months in college at a bunch of education sites (after school programs and the like), so those might help in helping me find a job. I was so excited to get in, but I'm just not sure if I can or should shoulder this debt. My undergrad degree is in a soft science so I doubt I can get a job with it alone. What do you guys think? I welcome all opinions.

What did you end up doing? I’ve been accepted to HGSE EPM and wondering the same thing... 

My experience with HGSE is that it's a multiplier. I had about 7 years of work experience going in, and I've got a number of really great opportunities based on my track record combined with the HGSE learning and degree. That being said,  some of my classmates who didn't have work experience are currently in teaching positions making limited income, and they probably could have gotten similar jobs without HGSE. I've been doing consulting work for a few different companies and I'll be starting a doctoral program at a Top-5 ivy-league program in the fall so it's opened a number of doors for me. If your field and career interests are highly-specialized, HGSE may be a bigger help to you with limited experience.