Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

I'm not too familiar with the program, but I was under the impression it was for university faculty.

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread but what about the Fulbright US Scholars program. I've just graduated with a law degree but have no teaching experience. Is it possible to get a grant under this the US Scholars program?

Are statistics published anywhere for applications/accpetance by country for scholars? I can only find competition stats for students.

ETA applicants- I'm curious to know what you are proposing to do with your time outside of the teaching assistantship. I don't need specifics just wanted to see what everyone was thinking!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just in the opening stages of filling out my ETA app. for Armenia! I can't believe that the process has started already, and I'm a little nervous that I'll put off certain aspects of the application too long, but hopefully it will all come together by the end of August!

I have a quick question about language proficiency. I am not Armenian, nor am I Russian, and do not speak either language. How much will this hurt my application? In Armenia's country summary it just says "language proficiency is helpful, but not expected" - does anyone have a less-vague idea of what this means?

Thanks so much - and good luck!

Hey there! I'm applying to the ETA for Azerbaijan, which appears to have the same requirements as Armenia (I was also considering Armenia, but changed my mind at the last minute). I am not Azeri or Russian either, but I did take a year of Russian. However, both countries seem to want to distance themselves from Russia and are trying very hard to replace Russian with English. I read that, at least in Azerbaijan, locals would much rather speak Azeri than Russian. In other words, while Russian may be somewhat useful as you try to adapt once you're there, I don't know how much it should affect your application. At least that's my opinion. Good luck!

I feel silly that I have never heard of this award before. That being said I didn't even look into attending grad school in the states or outside of Canada. I will definitely keep this in mind should I decide to pursue a PhD.

Hello brave Fulbright applicants!

I am planning on applying for a full grant/MA History program in Turkey, but I'm confused/unclear on an issue and hoped I could get some input.

What if I want to enter a two-year MA program? I know I wouldn't be funded for both years, but the implication on the Fulbright website seems to be that they are only interested in students entering one year programs. Would a two-year program disqualify me/make me less competitive? Should I make it clear that I don't expect to be funded for the full program?

Also, any other Turkey hopefuls?

Hey all!

I'm applying for a Full grant to Spain. I had started the process last year, but decided to put it on the back burner due to a job offer. I'm contemplating whether to apply through my alma mater and work with the FPA there, or just apply At Large. It seems that at-large applicants are exempt from interviewing with a university committee, which is tempting.

Is anyone else applying a year out of undergrad? I know letters of rec should be coming from faculty, but am curious as to whether recs from work would be accepted for people who are out of schooling.

Best of luck to everyone!

Hey Bkid-Sapps, awesome that you've already connected with some potential affiliations! Getting responses is often a difficult aspect of the application, and I'm steeling myself to potentially not hearing back! I'm sure the faculty will be impressed that you're pursuing a Fulbright. I agree with the poster who mentioned that having a relatively solid outline of your project to share if requested would make for a strong, focused first impression. Good luck!!

So I've been plugging away on my application materials. I've connected with a few contacts in Germany as potential leads for affiliations but haven't really found exactly what I'm looking for. I've identified a few other faculty members who I think could be the kind of connections I want. I'm just a bit nervous about reaching out to them given that they might be on the admissions board for the schools (I'm hoping to complete a Masters while over there) and I want to make sure my first impression is a good one.

Can anyone provide some insight as to how they've connected with affiliation contacts? Any examples of what you said in your first email to them would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Hey all!

I'm applying for a Full grant to Spain. I had started the process last year, but decided to put it on the back burner due to a job offer. I'm contemplating whether to apply through my alma mater and work with the FPA there, or just apply At Large. It seems that at-large applicants are exempt from interviewing with a university committee, which is tempting.

Is anyone else applying a year out of undergrad? I know letters of rec should be coming from faculty, but am curious as to whether recs from work would be accepted for people who are out of schooling.

Best of luck to everyone!

Hey,

I was in the same dilemma before I began my application process... I think it may depend on your FPA's philosophy on how it prepares students. My school's office strongly suggested that I not apply at-large, and instead work with them since they have more insights into the kinds of questions Fulbright committees look for.

This, I think is helpful, especially if you are so into your project that it becomes hard to see what people who aren't knowledgeable of your field would be confused about.

On the other hand, it can feel like they give you rigamarole... sometimes their comments are not particularly useful. Sometimes it may feel like they are gearing your application towards what they would be interested in researching or what they think Fulbright would consider a winner... so be prepared to stand your ground while still taking in their comments.

Also, be prepared for lots of drafts... which isn't necessarily a negative thing.

Hi Everyone!

This is my first post on grad cafe. I am considering applying for a Fulbright Full Grant to France for 2012-13. I will be getting a Masters degree this coming year in London and was wondering if that would be a problem in trying to secure a place in France, since I will have already been in Europe for a year. I will also be spending 2 months in France this summer. I have a strong research proposal, but am not sure if I would be at disadvantage having spent the year abroad during my application. If anyone has any insights or experience in regards to this I would be much appreciative!

Thanks in advance and good luck to all!

It'll be another year or so till I apply, but, can the Fulbright cover an entire degree (say an MA) abroad? I'm not clear whether it's for a year or research or just the entire degree.

From my understanding, it depends upon the country.

From http://us.fulbrightonline.org/preparing_studyresearch.html :

ADVANCED DEGREES ABROAD:

Candidates considering earning a graduate degree abroad should:

• Make sure that the country to which you are applying will accept such a project. Some countries do not recommend that applicants apply to do a degree program. For example, it is often not possible to complete a degree in one academic year and questions about the feasibility for completion of the degree could affect the selection decision. In addition, the tuition fees that a degree candidate would be charged would not be covered by the Fulbright grant, unless specifically stated in the country summary. Candidates should confirm their ability to cover these fees, if they are not provided by the Fulbright grant.
  • Make sure that you apply for admission to the host university by their deadline. Do not wait for the Fulbright decision or you may be too late to gain admission to your preferred university.
  • If possible, include a letter of admission with the application. Although, it is not required at the time of the Fulbright application, in all cases having this support will strengthen your case. You can submit the acceptance letter whenever you receive it. But if your proposal is based on admission to a university or graduate program, a Fulbright award offer would be contingent upon your receiving placement at a university.

Applicants should review the country summaries to determine if there are any restrictions to applying to complete a degree program.

Hi Everyone!

This is my first post on grad cafe. I am considering applying for a Fulbright Full Grant to France for 2012-13. I will be getting a Masters degree this coming year in London and was wondering if that would be a problem in trying to secure a place in France, since I will have already been in Europe for a year. I will also be spending 2 months in France this summer. I have a strong research proposal, but am not sure if I would be at disadvantage having spent the year abroad during my application. If anyone has any insights or experience in regards to this I would be much appreciative!

Thanks in advance and good luck to all!

Is there an FPA you can contact (perhaps at your undergrad institution)? I recall discussing this last year when I was considering applying... I don't believe having a long term experience (i.e. Master's) "hurts" an application as long as it's time spent in a country other than the one you're applying to. They wouldn't want someone who spent 12 years in Germany applying to Germany. I'm not sure about the 2 months in France timeline... I think the cutoff was 6 months, but don't quote me on that. I would contact an FPA or poke around the Fulbright website FAQ, etc. I believe the issue may be addressed on there...

Hey,

I was in the same dilemma before I began my application process... I think it may depend on your FPA's philosophy on how it prepares students. My school's office strongly suggested that I not apply at-large, and instead work with them since they have more insights into the kinds of questions Fulbright committees look for.

This, I think is helpful, especially if you are so into your project that it becomes hard to see what people who aren't knowledgeable of your field would be confused about.

On the other hand, it can feel like they give you rigamarole... sometimes their comments are not particularly useful. Sometimes it may feel like they are gearing your application towards what they would be interested in researching or what they think Fulbright would consider a winner... so be prepared to stand your ground while still taking in their comments.

Also, be prepared for lots of drafts... which isn't necessarily a negative thing.

Thanks, Espanya2013! I think you and I have had similar experiences. I'll have to stay strong/committed to what is important to me about my app, but I think having my FPA's input would be more beneficial than not in the long run.

ETA applicants- I'm curious to know what you are proposing to do with your time outside of the teaching assistantship. I don't need specifics just wanted to see what everyone was thinking!

I'm applying for the ETA in Poland or in another slavic language country, partially because that's where I was born, and it's the language I speak. But honestly, my side project proposal might have something to do with my continuing research for the short stories I'm writing about the immigration experience. I don't know how it would promote cross-cultural understanding unless I managed to get a collection published. So, in short, I'm not sure.

What were you thinking?

Thanks, Espanya2013! I think you and I have had similar experiences. I'll have to stay strong/committed to what is important to me about my app, but I think having my FPA's input would be more beneficial than not in the long run.

No problem... look forward to comparing notes with a fellow Spain applicant.

Is there an FPA you can contact (perhaps at your undergrad institution)? I recall discussing this last year when I was considering applying... I don't believe having a long term experience (i.e. Master's) "hurts" an application as long as it's time spent in a country other than the one you're applying to. They wouldn't want someone who spent 12 years in Germany applying to Germany. I'm not sure about the 2 months in France timeline... I think the cutoff was 6 months, but don't quote me on that. I would contact an FPA or poke around the Fulbright website FAQ, etc. I believe the issue may be addressed on there...

Thank you so much! I have just emailed my FPA and will poke around a little more on the FAQ section of the website.

Hey all I am new to the grad cafe but really look forward to the Fulbright process with everyone. I am applying for a full grant to the Netherlands! My personal draft and grant of purpose are in what seems like their 80th drafts. My FPA is has been really helpful and we have weekly meetings. If anyone would like to swap personal statements or grants of purpose for peer review I am more then happy too!

I am applying for ETA Germany, as well as the Fulbright-funded/administered USTA in Austria--since it's not officially part of the ETA program, you can apply for both. I'm not entirely clear on what I'll propose for my non-teaching time--will likely involve further German language study and writing projects, but I feel like I should come up with something more specific and probably more cross-culturally oriented.

Anyone else for Germany?

Hey everyone! I am about to head to New Zealand on a Fulbright and am starting a blog on my experiences with the application process, in addition to my travels. It'll include some helpful links and samples of the personal statement/grant purpose just so you can get an idea of what to expect and how to prepare.

The daily expeditioner

Also let me know if there is anything I can help with. I'd be happy to review/revise any glaring errors in the proposal. Any advice I can give-just visit my blog and shoot me an email.

I'm no expert, but since I worked for months on mine and it was picked, the advice couldn't hurt!

Also let me know if there's anything you want to see put on the blog!

Hey guys! I'm applying for a full grant for Germany but wasn't sure how good my German had to be to work in a life sciences/biology lab (possibly at the Max Planck Institute). It's basically something I'd need to pick up, but it seems like the research is conducted mostly in English. Does anyone have any information or knowledge on this? Thanks for the help!

Hey guys! I'm applying for a full grant for Germany but wasn't sure how good my German had to be to work in a life sciences/biology lab (possibly at the Max Planck Institute). It's basically something I'd need to pick up, but it seems like the research is conducted mostly in English. Does anyone have any information or knowledge on this? Thanks for the help!

I spent some time at a German university last summer doing a class and then a bunch of them did internships. Since I had some German language ability, I was placed in a local research company where I was expected to speak some German, but all the other students knew English only, and that seemed to be the language in which most of the research was conducted at the university. Any other internship program I have looked into has specified that the placements are mostly in English as well. Germany is very dominated by the English language in general.

I read a fulright blog a while back on someone who worked at the Max Planck Institute studying ancient neanderthal dna I believe. He stayed on to do his phD there as well. You may want to google him and see if you can get in touch with him. He may have some excellent advice for you. The only other thing I can rememer abobut him is that he was from UNLV

Hi Bkid,

I am also a Fulbright research grantee this year, and I'll be applying for entrance to graduate school for the fall of next year. It's great that you started so early; I finally concretized my decision a few weeks ago, and I'm already feeling crunched for time! Congratulations on your Fulbright; your project sounds really interesting. I myself am in Argentina, doing an ethnography of a public maternity hospital. I plan to go into anthropology with a focus on women's reproductive rights and activism in Latin America. I'll be anxious to hear how things turn out for you!

All the best