Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

I also received notice that I am an ETA to South Korea :) According to the chart, many of us from this forum did so. Congrats to everyone so far. South Korea ETAs PM me, I need people to gush and obsess with. :D

Waiting to hear back on a Full grant to Poland.....

I knew I should never have started reading this forum.... it has increased my paranoia tenfold. I have a question that is now nagging me.... My host letter is from a professor at a university on university letterhead. I asked my FPA if I needed to contact the university itself and set something up since the Fulbright country summary states that "Candidates for research must have a formal institutional affiliation, and may be required to attend classes." He explained that since I'm not applying for a program at the university and am doing research in a humanities field, it means that I'm pretty much on my own and wouldn't really need it (i.e. Don't worry about it). Since I got the recommendation e-mail, I've become increasingly paranoid that they would reject me because I've only made contact with a professor at the university and not contacted the university itself for some support.

Am I just paranoid, or should I be worried to some extent?

Congratulations to everyone who has heard back so far. Whether you made it or not, you made it through a lot of hurdles.

HEY! I'm waiting to hear on a full grant to Poland, too. I actually started fretting about this same issue today! However, I'm sure we're good. I too have a letter of invitation from a prof at the University of Warsaw, but have no official contact with the University itself. Wondered if I was supposed to "apply" in some official capacity, but abandoned the concern, realizing that, after a year of prepping my application, there is NO WAY I would have missed that crucial step. I'm pretty sure we're all good. My grant proposal is for Creative Writing, so, like you, I'm also on my own so to speak, not taking any courses or anything, but using my affiliation for other contacts, specifically within the Jewish community (academic, cultural, and religious groups).

GOOD LUCK! I'm totally losing it. Can't focus on much but keeping my head from exploding. I wanna call so bad, but I don't want to mess with fate.

So I was just talking to some of my friends, and when I told them about the Fulbright I'm always reluctant to tell them that it's for teaching English instead of a research grant. How do you think a Fulbright ETA compares with a Fulbright Full Grant in terms of prestige?

Hey Everyone!

I've been lurking, too, and was accepted for an ETA to South Korea today! I'm glad to see there are a couple of us on here!

Looking forward to talking to you all!

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking on here for a while...decided to finally post something, the wait is driving me insane...

...Turkey ETA... who wants to call Rachel and ask her what's going on with Turkey and how much longer? I certainly do not have enough guts to do it. haha :)

So I was just talking to some of my friends, and when I told them about the Fulbright I'm always reluctant to tell them that it's for teaching English instead of a research grant. How do you think a Fulbright ETA compares with a Fulbright Full Grant in terms of prestige?

It would seem to me that they are really two different programs, with the same Fulbright principles in mind. I've always applied to Full grants because I perceived that the prestige of the Full Grant goes up a bit because it is harder to get, seeing that you are competing not with primarily recent undergrad-grads, but master's, Ph.D students, and post-docs. In fact, I don't think I've heard of a Master's or Ph.D student applying for an ETA, but I am sure it happens. Also, the goals are different. You are expected to produce new research with the Full grant, which is often an autonomous, independent, and extra challenging experience (even with the best affiliations in your country), vs. teaching English which might be more structured. Anyway, I think both are a great honor to receive and at the end of the day, you are still a Fulbright Scholar and get paid to be abroad for a year and propagate the values of the program. Were I a recent undergrad-grad, I would have taken the ETA in a heartbeat!

It would seem to me that they are really two different programs, with the same Fulbright principles in mind. I've always applied to Full grants because I perceived that the prestige of the Full Grant goes up a bit because it is harder to get, seeing that you are competing not with primarily recent undergrad-grads, but master's, Ph.D students, and post-docs. In fact, I don't think I've heard of a Master's or Ph.D student applying for an ETA, but I am sure it happens. Also, the goals are different. You are expected to produce new research with the Full grant, which is often an autonomous, independent, and extra challenging experience (even with the best affiliations in your country), vs. teaching English which might be more structured. Anyway, I think both are a great honor to receive and at the end of the day, you are still a Fulbright Scholar and get paid to be abroad for a year and propagate the values of the program. Were I a recent undergrad-grad, I would have taken the ETA in a heartbeat!

Some great points honeybunches, I agree they are vastly different but both very prestiguous.

However, I'd contest the notion that ETAs are automatically less competitive. It's true that these grants are more attractive to undergrads, but not all of them. I am a graduate student recommended for the ETA in France which gives only 5-6 grants, with applications usually numbering more than 150. Consequently it has one of the lowest acceptance rates of any FB grant, full or ETA.

Accepted- ETA Germany. Email from Theresa Granza; letter to come by mail from FSB. I still cannot believe it. I've been lurking on here for two years and I was an alternate last year for the award. Congrats to those who got the grant! To those who didn't get it, reapply!! There's no way I will be able to go to sleep now; I should have checked this after I slept in a bit longer...

I got the good news as well--accepted German ETA! Congrats to everyone else that got the grant and my condolences for those who weren't so lucky this year.

Anyway, now I'll have to get past two more hurdles...medical exam and graduation...

Anyone know when we'd get our city/gymnasium placements?

Accepted for an ETA in Germany! The E-mail came at 8:31am with the subject Fulbright Sttus (PR) from Theresa Granza. And yes, the subject of the E-mail was spelled Sttus.

Congratulations to everyone else heading to Germany in September!

I heard we don't find out out placement until May, but maybe that will happen sooner this year too. I'm not worried about that at all though.

Hi All -- I was awarded a Korea Full Research grant yesterday!

It would be great to be in touch with anyone else heading to Korea next year. Way to go for Korean ppali ppali efficiency, seems like we're the first Asia grantees to hear back?

ETA GERMANY!!! Woke up this morning and saw that the Provost of my school replied to the FSB email congratulating me--I read that before I even saw my official acceptance email. Congrats to everyone else who received good news. Today is going to be a great day!

Way to go for Korean ppali ppali efficiency, seems like we're the first Asia grantees to hear back?

Korea, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Laos all heard back yesterday, so it might be that fulbright just waited to get a bunch of decisions back and sent them out all at the same time?

Edited by bdoll

congrats everyone!!!

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking on here for a while...decided to finally post something, the wait is driving me insane...

...Turkey ETA... who wants to call Rachel and ask her what's going on with Turkey and how much longer? I certainly do not have enough guts to do it. haha :)

lol im not calling her

Congrats everybody who's getting good news! :) It's been exciting to follow.

Still waiting on ETA Andorra and figure I've got a couple weeks still (I'm a grad student BTW, and one of my classmates just got an ETA for Brazil, so we grad student ETAs do exist).

But really this post is to ask: What is UP with all the typos in Fulbright's email correspondence?!?! "Sttus"! aagh

Congrats everybody who's getting good news! :) It's been exciting to follow.

Still waiting on ETA Andorra and figure I've got a couple weeks still (I'm a grad student BTW, and one of my classmates just got an ETA for Brazil, so we grad student ETAs do exist).

But really this post is to ask: What is UP with all the typos in Fulbright's email correspondence?!?! "Sttus"! aagh

congrats everyone!!!

lol im not calling her

1) I am a grad student applying for an ETA to Turkey so, yes, we do exist AND 2)** Puts finger on nose** Not it!

Edited by ecpurcell