Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

Anyone else waiting on Japan? They seemed to normally get word out in March, but sent notifications in late April last year. I thought maybe things were very understandably hectic with the earthquake last year, and they would back to the March schedule this year, but this might not be the case...

Anyways back to reading tea leaves...

What's your project in Italy? Just caught your screen name there.

Archival project related to my dissertation. I would be in Florence mainly, but also Siena and Arezzo. I am interested in noble/knightly culture in Florentine Tuscany in the 13th and 14th centuries. I examine changes to the institutions and ideology of knighthood during this period, as well as cultural exchange between the Florentine elite and the elite of north-western Europe and other Italian states. I'm also interested in the practice of exile (extremely prevalent in medieval Italy) and the impact exile has on how these knights and nobles defined themselves. That's the simple version :P

Edited because I'm typing on my phone and the touch-screen keyboard is annoying.

Edited by MedievalHistory1124

I just want to knooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

Seriously, I'm so happy for everyone who's found out, but now that notifications are rolling in, I'm significantly more freaked out about the whole waiting thing.

Congrats everybody who's getting good news! :) It's been exciting to follow.

Still waiting on ETA Andorra and figure I've got a couple weeks still (I'm a grad student BTW, and one of my classmates just got an ETA for Brazil, so we grad student ETAs do exist).

But really this post is to ask: What is UP with all the typos in Fulbright's email correspondence?!?! "Sttus"! aagh

Hi friend! I'm waiting on Andorra too! I think I remember reading in past forums that Andorra waits for Spain to send out their notifications, so it's killing me thinking that the decisions may have already been made but just not sent out. Bona sort!

Are you a medievalist? What's your project for France?

I'm a graduating undergrad - but I'm sort of working my way into the Medievalist field. (I'm in the running for an ETA, by the way). I work with 13th century French poetry that treats penitence and sin, looking at authorial voice and the use of shame and guilt.

So I was just talking to some of my friends, and when I told them about the Fulbright I'm always reluctant to tell them that it's for teaching English instead of a research grant. How do you think a Fulbright ETA compares with a Fulbright Full Grant in terms of prestige?

My guess is that most people are not even aware that there ARE these two different types of Fulbright grants. A Fulbright is a Fulbright. It's just that in one sort you often (though not always) do independent research, whereas in the other, you are more likely to be actively engaged with a significant number of people. Each is a different sort of challenge with different benefits. It's been said before, but an eye and a hand are quite different, yet both are highly valuable in their own ways!

Im going to consider reapplying. For those who got accepted, would you guys mind opening up your personal and grant purpose statement? That way some of us looking to re-apply could fiddle through them and perhaps check for patterns that might indicate what they like.

Especially for me the Germany folks.

Hey ACO, nice to e-meet you :)

I've heard the same thing re: Andorra waiting on Spain, and yet when I look at the past notification dates they don't seem to line up, so I have no idea what all that's about. Seems like another example of the Fulbright inexplicable non-transparent mystery process.

I found a blog of a current Andorra ETA and found it pretty scary. She is a full classroom teacher for 12-13 year olds, i.e. in a middle school. Perhaps this is my fault but I didn't realize that when the Fulbright website said "secondary school" that this could mean 12-13 year olds that make penis jokes and refuse to speak English. I have NO teaching experience of this kind, AT ALL.

Also, people just generally think I am weird for choosing Andorra, have you run into this?

Bona sort back atcha and let's hope for good news sometime soon!

Congrats everybody who's getting good news! :) It's been exciting to follow.

Still waiting on ETA Andorra and figure I've got a couple weeks still (I'm a grad student BTW, and one of my classmates just got an ETA for Brazil, so we grad student ETAs do exist).

But really this post is to ask: What is UP with all the typos in Fulbright's email correspondence?!?! "Sttus"! aagh

Bahaha I KNOW!! I received an email (unrelated to my acceptance status - still waiting on that *fingers crossed*) where they misspelled FULBRIGHT in the subject line. Hi-larious....

It seems like the majority of notifications go out in the early afternoon? (though that's a function of my timezone - it appears to be mid-afternoon NYC time). Here's to more acceptances!! Congrats to all of those who have received good news thus far!!

Edited by rtlc06

I'm out of lurkerdom to say...

I GOT THE ETA CZECH REPUBLIC!!!!

Best wishes to everyone!

Congrats! I'm curious as to whether you were notified today or yesterday (trying to gauge if they are sending any notifications today besides Germany)

Im going to consider reapplying. For those who got accepted, would you guys mind opening up your personal and grant purpose statement? That way some of us looking to re-apply could fiddle through them and perhaps check for patterns that might indicate what they like.

Especially for me the Germany folks.

Not a Germany applicant- but I second this!!! I am so interested to hear what others have proposed to do, even if they did not get accepted.

Also, I am wondering what happens after we are all put out of our misery as far as waiting goes. Do we start a new forum based on waiting-to-depart?

Hey ACO, nice to e-meet you :)

I've heard the same thing re: Andorra waiting on Spain, and yet when I look at the past notification dates they don't seem to line up, so I have no idea what all that's about. Seems like another example of the Fulbright inexplicable non-transparent mystery process.

I found a blog of a current Andorra ETA and found it pretty scary. She is a full classroom teacher for 12-13 year olds, i.e. in a middle school. Perhaps this is my fault but I didn't realize that when the Fulbright website said "secondary school" that this could mean 12-13 year olds that make penis jokes and refuse to speak English. I have NO teaching experience of this kind, AT ALL.

Also, people just generally think I am weird for choosing Andorra, have you run into this?

Bona sort back atcha and let's hope for good news sometime soon!

"the Fulbright inexplicable non-transparent mystery process"

Haha, exactly!

Definitely - that age can be a handful. I'm a senior undergraduate, and I haven't had any experience teaching either, but I coach a middle school soccer team of 13 year old girls, so hopefully that might prepare me? It's a scary thought for sure, and I've never dealt with 13-year old boys.

And I know what you mean! People are so confused when I say I applied to Andorra! Most people haven't even heard of it, haha. They tend to understand though once I tell them my Spanish thesis is about Catalan. (Although a lot of people haven't heard of Catalan either...)

I'll keep my fingers crossed that we both hear back positively, and soon :)

Congrats! I'm curious as to whether you were notified today or yesterday (trying to gauge if they are sending any notifications today besides Germany)

Hi, I got this at exactly 8:41AM PST. So that plus three hours. Hope you get a response soon!

Congratulations!!! That is so awesome!!!

Congrats to both of you!!! It's weird to be excited for strangers! But I am! :)

Thank you!! :-)

So I was just talking to some of my friends, and when I told them about the Fulbright I'm always reluctant to tell them that it's for teaching English instead of a research grant. How do you think a Fulbright ETA compares with a Fulbright Full Grant in terms of prestige?

As someone mentioned previously, a Fulbright is a Fulbright. After going through this daunting and grueling process again and receiving the award, I am in no position to make such a comparison and am so thankful!

Again, best of luck to those still waiting to hear. :-)

Also, I have just finished updating the spreadsheet. Whatever you write here, I will put on the spreadsheet unless you state otherwise - this is just so that I don't have to write PMs and ask you for permission, then wait for your response (which is what I have been doing). It just makes the work easier for me. Thank you :-)

Can you get a loan deferment with a Fulbright Full Grant award?

From what I understand, most people are able to defer their loans. It is technically at the discretion of your loan provider, but I believe most loan providers are ok with classifying the Fulbright as a 'graduate fellowship' which qualifies for deferment.