Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

First of all, it would be nice if you could calm yourself, especially with the caps lock there. You asked if people knew if this is how the health check has always been run. I don't have access to that information but from my personal experience and other's experiences with other government operated or funded programs, I offered my two cents, which is that no, I am not bothered by the level of detail and that this is often how things are run.

Second, for the record, no, I have NOT been seeing doctors in the same clinic system for the last three years. Three years ago, I was in Germany (where I will be going again, and no, last time I went I was NOT asked to share this information with the funding body). Am I supposed to somehow contact the doctor I saw there? I have no idea anymore who they are or how to contact them. So no, it's not just a matter of going to see my doctor and them filling it out. I move around a lot. That's how my life is.

I am sure you're not the only special snowflake who moves around a lot. The people who are in a good position to win Fulbrights have often moved around a lot. Fulbright probably recognizes this and I doubt they will rescind the offer of your grant because you weren't able to track down every single doctor you ever saw. I myself had Dengue Fever in Malaysia and the Swine Flu in Melbourne and I saw doctors in those countries in both of those situations. No, I don't know their names or have any way to get those records. There is a portion on the report to list any illnesses you may have had due to a spotty medical history.

I've studied and lived abroad five times in three countries on two continents, all funded by various agencies, and never once have I been asked to share this kind of information with the scholarship committee.

Good for you. Unfortunately to participate in the Fulbright program the State Department has mandated that you need a medical clearance. Luckily, the information you need to provide to get a medical clearance is not nearly as rigorous as what's needed from other people who are going abroad on the U.S.'s dime.

BUT I DON'T WANT TO SHARE THE RESULTS WITH SOMEBODY WHO IS NOT MY DOCTOR. Why is that so difficult to understand?

I do understand that. I am always concerned about the confidentiality of my medical information - not because I have any significant issues which I think would preclude me from keeping the grant but because I have a right to keep that information confidential. I am submitting, however, that there are certain things required to be "employed", as you could say, by the Fulbright program as a citizen ambassador. Unfortunately, one of those things is a medical clearance, which requires some flexibility on our parts if we would like the accept the Fulbright.

I think it behooves you to be present when your doctor is filling out this form. Whether you recently had a Jason Russell-esque complete psychotic break and ran out naked into the streets or just had a UTI, you should be consulting with your physician about how much information you actually want to release to someone who is not your doctor.

As I said before, I am not particularly concerned about releasing some of my medical information for the purposes of the medical clearance because I feel that I'm able to consult with my doctor about the details put on these forms and how any of my health issues are framed, and because my full, detailed medical file remains subject to doctor-patient confidentiality (as much as that even means in the U.S. nowadays). In this case, I feel that my rights to the confidentiality of my medical history have not been waived and that my doctor and I are working together to preserve those rights as much as possible.

If you have an issue with releasing ANY of your confidential information regarding your health whatsoever in the interest of gaining a medical clearance, then it seems like you won't be able to accept the grant then, which I am sorry for.

Edited by bdoll

So...forum consensus is that the "save-the-date" e-mail is not particularly indicative of acceptance? Because I did NOT get one and now I'M freaking out! Although according to the website my country does not necessarily require a pre-departure orientation...ugh, Fulbright is destroying my nerves!

...Biz? :wacko:

So...forum consensus is that the "save-the-date" e-mail is not particularly indicative of acceptance? Because I did NOT get one and now I'M freaking out! Although according to the website my country does not necessarily require a pre-departure orientation...ugh, Fulbright is destroying my nerves!

No, it can't possibly be indicative of anything!! Don't worry :)

Is your country on this list of countries that will have a pre-departure orientation (at the bottom)?

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/info_recommended_candidates.html

I think they're just sending the save the dates out because one of the requirements for getting the grant is attending the pre-departure orientation if you have one. Some people are hearing back on Critical Language Scholarships or are starting to make other commitments over the summer, so it seems like Fulbright is aware that it would be awful if you got the grant but then couldn't go on it because you'd already decided to go on vacation or something during the dates of the pre-departure orientation.

No worries. It looks like the people responding that they got it were ETA candidates. Plus we don't have pre-departure orientation for the Baltics, we just have a verrrrry long wait for our results. Btw, I emailed Rachel (omg, I caved) and she said middle to late April. I am hoping sooner.

No worries. It looks like the people responding that they got it were ETA candidates. Plus we don't have pre-departure orientation for the Baltics, we just have a verrrrry long wait for our results. Btw, I emailed Rachel (omg, I caved) and she said middle to late April. I am hoping sooner.

Yes, sorry, we should've clarified--the orientation is definitely for ETAs: "This workshop will provide outgoing ETAs with basic classroom survival skills and provide valuable materials and information to make your ETA experience a successful one."

Sorry! Didn't mean to freak anyone out...I just wanted to check and see if other ETA people had gotten it without having any news/notification of the actual decision. I'm definitely think it doesn't matter and they just wanted us to have the date well in advance in case we get picked.

Ah! No worries, thanks for the reassurance, all! I'm afraid I'm a bit prone to reading too much into any hint of news these days (but I don't think anyone here would blame me :)).

Bad news, Biz, I was really hoping for early April. But I suppose we won't know anything for sure until it happens!

Dang. I didn't get an email either (Taiwan). Did anyone else is East Asia/Pacific get one?

Edit: I was trying to find this on the Fulbright website. Looks like -- after you click on each region -- there are tentative dates and a location on every region EXCEPT East Asia/Pacific (and Western Hemisphere, who maybe don't get orientations anyway). So maybe they're still working it out. But that makes me feel a little better for some reason, or at least that I'm not missing anything yet!

Edited by heyles

Another longtime lurker posting here - I am a finalist for a full grant to Turkey, and I just spoke with Rachel:she has no idea when we will know, but she speculates 2-3 weeks, and that they might have a better idea next week and that i could call back then to check (which I will do).

I called because I was just offered another fellowship(!!) for next year and need to make a decision soon. Rachel was very nice about it - knowing that a lot of folks are in similar positions.

And congratulations to all with good news this week! I am thrilled for all of you!!!!

I am an ETA finalist for Turkey. Please let me know if you find anything else out. Thanks!

Dang. I didn't get an email either (Taiwan). Did anyone else is East Asia/Pacific get one?

Edit: I was trying to find this on the Fulbright website. Looks like -- after you click on each region -- there are tentative dates and a location on every region EXCEPT East Asia/Pacific (and Western Hemisphere, who maybe don't get orientations anyway). So maybe they're still working it out. But that makes me feel a little better for some reason, or at least that I'm not missing anything yet!

I applied to China & got a "save the date" email mid-feb. I'm guessing it'll be country specific for east asia?

I remember reading somewhere that everything for China is separate from East Asia/Pacific. I did find info from last year, and China's was separate. Did you apply for a full or ETA?

Edit: And it does look like China's orientation info is posted on the country page, not the regional page. I didn't see info for any of the other countries in the region, though. :(

Edited by heyles

Yes, sorry, we should've clarified--the orientation is definitely for ETAs: "This workshop will provide outgoing ETAs with basic classroom survival skills and provide valuable materials and information to make your ETA experience a successful one."

"classroom survival skills" Aaahh hahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa!

Sorry, I am currently the lead teacher at a preschool, and was just thinking today about how reading The Art of War has helped me navigate this experience.

Edited by ALSimon