Jump to content

So how did April 15th treat you?


Recommended Posts

It's almost the end of the business day on April 15th!

April 15th doesn't mean anything to me because I'm Canadian with applications in at only Canadian schools, but I'd love to hear your stories/ eleventh hour victories.

Did you make it off the waitlist? Did you decide on where you'll be for the next 5 - 7 years of your life? Did it pass by with nary a whimper?

These stories feed my soul, so please, share.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Still no word from the one school I'm waiting on. I've been checking my email obsessively! unsure.gif

Same here. Gov'ts worldwide should consider including this in their arsenal of torture techniques.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am still waiting to hear from 3 of my 5. The one masters program I applied to said they make their decisions at the end of April, so I am still not done waiting. >=( I agree, this is one of the worst torture devices ever in place; 6 months of waiting, building to one day (that happens to be my birthday), and still, NOTHING.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually managed to make my decision Tuesday and send in all the items on Wednesday, so today has been kind of uneventful. I feel terrible for those of you who still haven't heard anything from different schools; that is torture. I got all my notices back in mid-March (within 3 days of each other), and I thought that was bad enough. I guess you've just got to trust that it will work out for the best. I drove myself crazy trying to differentiate between the two schools at the top of my list, but in the end it all fell into place.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I spent most of my day relaxing because I officially accepted a couple days ago :)

But I haven't heard back from anyone after I sent a scanned version of the form confirming my acceptance. And, of course, my school's email is having problems so I can't check if they got it.

I hope that if the form doesn't get there on time, my word is good enough in the meantime :P

Edited by neuropsych76
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've accepted one offer, but I'm still on the wait list at my top choice... Apparently, I should hear back by the end of next week... Is it ethical to stay on a WL after you've accepted another school's offer...

What do you think?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one offer in hand. I was counting on April 15th to hear from 5 universities to decide on the best but I heard nothing. The deadline to accept the one offer I have is April 22. Ugh!

Link to post
Share on other sites

For those of you who are still waiting to hear back from your respective schools: Have these schools signed onto the grad school compact that set the April 15th deadline? If not, you may be working on a totally different timetable. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've accepted one offer, but I'm still on the wait list at my top choice... Apparently, I should hear back by the end of next week... Is it ethical to stay on a WL after you've accepted another school's offer...

Decidedly not. It's actually rather poor form, I believe.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've accepted one offer, but I'm still on the wait list at my top choice... Apparently, I should hear back by the end of next week... Is it ethical to stay on a WL after you've accepted another school's offer...

Probably not, but I can't say I blame you. I'm speaking as somebody who's on the waitlist for her top choice, by the way. It would be absolutely crazy to accept your safety, give up your spot on the waitlist for your top choice, and then find out that there was significant movement on the waitlist and you COULD have gotten into your top choice and changed the next few years of your life -- or maybe your entire life, as reputation of your PhD school matters a lot in academic job-hunting. I don't know. This is a thorny question.

But I will say this -- please don't stay on the waitlist for another school when you have accepted at another school for VERY long. I mean, at least give someone a shot at a spot and stand by your decision to accept at another school, where you have a spot.

JMTC, of course.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still waiting to hear back from one PhD program, even though I'm pretty sure I know what that answer will be. I'm also waiting on the MS program. They probably won't let me know for another week or two.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.