NSF GRFP

timuralp

Math123, I think you have assumed that the Fed sets aside all $120K for each NSF fellow in the year they receive the award. Imagine instead that NSF asks for the money one year at a time. If NSF doubles the recipients in 2009, then they only need 33% more money for 2009 - enough to cover the extra students in their first NSF year.

2008: 800 first-year students, 800 second-year students, and 800 third-year students = 2400 students

2009: 1600 first-year students, 800 second-year students, and 800 third-year students = 3200 students

:arrow: 33% more students in 2009 than in 2008, so need 33% more money

Ok, I retract the latter statement. But, I still don't think the numbers add up.

I'm pretty sure I assumed NSF asks for money each year. I think the point I'm trying to make is that they didn't request enough money to make 1600 awards (to agree with your math and the article's contention). The budget says they requested 125 million for 2009; end of story.

There are 913 second-years and 920 third-years. At 40,500 a pop, that's 74 236 500. So of the 125 million they asked for, there is only 50 763 500 left for first-years. That is, enough for 1253 awards (best case). Which, I think is the point of confusion. It is enough for about 30 percent more awards than last year, but is not the same 30 percent the article makes you believe.

920 awards may have been made in 2007, but almost certainly the number of third-year NSF fellows is less than that. The attrition rate of NSF fellows is not very different from grad students generally. In engineering and CS, which together represent about a third of awards, it's not uncommon to enter a PhD program (in order to get funding, external or otherwise) and leave with a Master's. And then you have your Hertz, Ford, HHMI, Javitz, etc. winners who may be unable to accept all three years of NSF funding. At a 10% attrition rate for second-year students and 20% for third-year students - my guesstimates - they could afford to make 1500+ awards this year. Not that I really believe they will.

It would be great if they doubled the awards, but I doubt that will help me at all as I don't think I will be ANYWHERE close to getting one. I'm thinking I may have a better chance with NDSEG if my undergrad grades from 11 years ago don't ruin my chances for all.

• 1 month later...

I'm a senior undergrad at a prestigous liberal arts college, and I applied to the NSF program this year, but I think I won't even be considered because of my GRE scores.

Q720 V620 AW6.0

I have a publication in a peer reviewed social science journal as the sole author, a lot of research experience and a fellowship, and a high gpa (3.89).

Do you think that I will even be considered with a 1340? I have test anxiety issues... bleh. Should I retake the gre for the next two tries?

:|

No. As far as I can tell, you have a good shot and it also helps to be in the demographic they're trying to help. That one is explicitly stated on the application, before anyone gets up in arms about it. Also, as far as I can tell, your research statement is the most important piece on the application. Once you're in grad school, you'll probably have a better statement, etc, but you might get it this year too.

it also helps to be in the demographic they're trying to help. That one is explicitly stated on the application, before anyone gets up in arms about it.

could you ellaborate?

new question: what do we do about important changes to our application (change in GPA, publication etc)?

Do I call/email?

could you ellaborate?

new question: what do we do about important changes to our application (change in GPA, publication etc)?

Do I call/email?

Maybe he thought you were a woman? But to answer your question, the application can not be changed.

Does anyone know when they start notifications? Is it March?

I wish that we knew before admissions to graduate school because if awarded then you make a much better candidate obviously.

Notification tends to be at the end of March / early April. Yeah, pretty lame considering the panels finish by mid-February anyway.

could you ellaborate?

Do I call/email?

I meant that as a general statement, not directed at you, per se. GFRP specifically states they favor women and minorities, that's all. Not sure if you fit in either, but if you do, good for you :)

Last year I got the notification April 2nd. I presume that's when they send those to everyone. Seeing how the deadline to make up your mind about grad school is April 15th, that gives you plenty of time. If you get the award, I'm pretty sure you could go to whatever school you put on that, since NSF is paying your tuition anyway. good luck :)

No, Math is right. You can usually not change your application. What might happen is, if you send information to the graduate secretary and are gracious and humble about it, she may add it to your file. But she will inevitably tell you she has no control over whether the added information gets considered, etc.

From the FAQs:

30. Should I send a transcript of my grades after I complete my courses this fall for the GRFP?

No. As part of the applications process, you should submit Official Transcripts of your academic records, graduate and undergraduate, completed as of the date of application.

47. Since applicants can't revise an application after it's been submitted, how do I make changes to my references in the application for the GRFP?

After an application has been submitted, changes can only be made to References through the Manage References link listed under the Application Optional Task List.

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like they created a webpage for the awardees (dont remember this last year), but I do not think they actually review apps until later this month. I wish I new the outcome. I keep using the excuse that it would be easier to pick a lab when I new whether I had my own funding (not like they dont have the money to fund me already).

Good luck everyone! Here is to a couple more months of waiting!