Santa Barbara, CA

Hey, I'm a grad student at UCSB. I lived in San Clemente and I'm happy to answer any questions about the town or the apartments or whatever!

I would just like to point out that (with all due respect to our awesome, fun-loving undergrads) the graduate experience at UCSB is verrrrry different from an undergrad's. You'll hang out at different places, and you'll most likely want to avoid Isla Vista once the sun goes down. It's a fun place but it's really weird knowing that those people are your students. Almost all the grad students I know avoid it in most cases.

And to the poster above-- I LOVE Goleta!

Hey sbgrad - can you give a more detailed breakdown of what to expect with San Clemente housing? I am also interested in staying there but want more details. I would be going for a 2-bedroom setup. How big are the bedrooms? How big is the kitchen? Is it electric or gas? I love to cook so the kitchen aspect is pretty important to me. Exactly how furnished is it? I assume bed/dresser/closet/couches/tables, but should I expect anything more/less? What about laundry?

Thanks!

I lived in a 4-bedroom, but I'm pretty sure the rooms are about the same size either way.

The bedrooms come with an xl-full bed (width of a full, length of a queen), a desk, two shelving units, and a closet. They're not very big, and there's no real room to add any additional furniture, but I never felt cramped.

The living room comes with a couch, two upholstered chairs, a coffee table and a couple of end tables. There's a storage cabinet-thing as well, not sure what to call it but we used it for extra kitchen storage. There's also a dining nook with a 4-person table. Again, there's not really room for extra furniture but I've seen some pretty impressive rearranging.

The kitchen has a fridge, 4 electric stovetops, an oven, a microwave, and a sink. No dishwasher. Not very much counter space but I cooked all the time and was always able to make it work. I do enjoy having a bigger kitchen now, though. I would often use the dining table as prep space when the counter wasn't enough.

The bathrooms have your basic toilet, shower, and sink. There's a medicine cabinet behind the mirror and storage under the sink. Again, minimal counter space.

There were also 2 coat closets in the 4-bedroom. Not sure how that works in a 2-bedroom. There are also windows all over the place, and the heating works well when you need it.

I'm pretty sure there are laundry facilities in every building. There was in mine, at least. $1.25 for a wash, $.25 for every 15 min of drying.

My main complaint was that it's small, but space is expensive in this area. Personally I think San Clemente is a great place to start. Rent is decent, it's convenient, and probably a lot of the other first years in your program will be living there.

Hey sbgrad and others using the forums,

I hope you don't mind my asking but did you know anyone in the family housing? My SO was accepted and we were hoping to live in the graduate family housing. We aren't married but we're going to see if we qualify under their domestic partner parameters(aka: sharing financial/personal welfare.) I was just wondering if you knew anyone with a personal opinion of it since there isn't a generous amount of information online, beyond the official website and some defunct community websites. Any information would be appreciated wether it's about size, quality, community, etc...

I've contacted the housing department but they asked us to come and visit/interview which is a bit hard to do until next month. I'd love to hear something in the mean time!

Also, I'm glad to hear how much everyone has enjoyed their experience at the school.

Hey sbgrad and others using the forums,

I hope you don't mind my asking but did you know anyone in the family housing? My SO was accepted and we were hoping to live in the graduate family housing. We aren't married but we're going to see if we qualify under their domestic partner parameters(aka: sharing financial/personal welfare.) I was just wondering if you knew anyone with a personal opinion of it since there isn't a generous amount of information online, beyond the official website and some defunct community websites. Any information would be appreciated wether it's about size, quality, community, etc...

I've contacted the housing department but they asked us to come and visit/interview which is a bit hard to do until next month. I'd love to hear something in the mean time!

Also, I'm glad to hear how much everyone has enjoyed their experience at the school.

Unfortunately I don't know about the family housing, except that one couple I know said the application was tedious. Don't know what they meant specifically.

If family housing doesn't work out, and if you're just looking for a one-bedroom apartment and want to live near campus I'd look at the Ellwood Beach area. The stuff south of Hollister on Ellwood Beach Dr. and Mathilda, as well as the surrounding area. There's a high concentration of apartments around there that should be comparable to family housing.

Unfortunately I don't know about the family housing, except that one couple I know said the application was tedious. Don't know what they meant specifically.

If family housing doesn't work out, and if you're just looking for a one-bedroom apartment and want to live near campus I'd look at the Ellwood Beach area. The stuff south of Hollister on Ellwood Beach Dr. and Mathilda, as well as the surrounding area. There's a high concentration of apartments around there that should be comparable to family housing.

I appreciate the reply. It seems like the application process is going to be a bit difficult. We've asked the Housing Dept. many questions but there hasn't been much of a response other than to schedule an in person visit. I'm sure they're very busy but it's a bit nerve wracking. Just like anything involving grad school, haha.

I'll be sure to check out those areas when we go down since I'd like to live near by so my beau doesn't have a long commute. Plus, I will probably apply for the MA program this coming year now that we know where he is attending.

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

I received an e-mail yesterday from my department stating that the San Clemente housing application deadline was extended to June 1 from May 15. Then I started looking into the contract details, prices, etc. and am 95% sure I'd rather look for an apartment in Goleta.

I am looking for a 2 or 3-bedroom place in the range of $700-800 per room, anyone else in this price range want to go in together? Ideally I'm looking for a 2 bed, 1 bath for $1500-1600 around 3 miles from campus (close enough to bike or bus). I have seen a few on craigslist available now in that range, but I'm going to work with some of the real estate people posting on craigslist to see if I can lock in something in advance, or at least try and beat the back-to-school rush/price increase.

Let me know if you're interested, thanks!

• 8 months later...

Hey, I was accepted to UCSB for next fall and I'm strongly leaning towards attending, but my pay is only 27k. I've been looking at housing costs online and I'm pretty concerned about being able to afford the cost of living.

Everyone I've talked to (and all the information in this thread) suggests that housing is much more reasonable in Goleta, but I can't find any reasonably-priced places online. Anyone have any tips on where to look? I'd prefer living on my own, but obviously roommates are an option.

I've decided against San Clemente, partially because I already have all of my own furniture and I'd have to pay to store it somewhere, and partially because the cost of living there with a roommate and without my own stuff is greater than just getting an apartment at Studio Plaza.

Hi Tangentc,

I'm a first year PhD student at UCSB. Rentals (one bedrooms and studios) are certainly expensive in this area. The odds of finding a place without roommates for under $1000 a month are pretty slim.

I live in Studio Plaza and really like it a lot. It's in Isla Vista, but it's perfectly quiet; there's no noise from the IV party scene. The apartments are modest to be sure, but it's really the best deal in the area. All utilities (except cable and internet) are included in the rent. There's laundry on site and off street parking (although it does cost $30 a month to park).  I tried living with roommates when I first got here to save some money, but after having lived alone for six years, I just couldn't get used to sharing a living space. Fortunately, I had applied to Studio Plaza in the spring of last year, so I was on the top of the waiting list and got an apartment here in December. If you are interested in the place, I'd suggest putting in an application now as it can be tough to get a spot. 

If you have any questions about the place (or about the area in general) drop me a line and I'd be happy to give you some insight. Where are you coming from? 

As for the cost of living, your pay quoted above is MUCH higher than mine (I'm studying theater and performance studies; always less money in the humanities!) and I'm doing okay. There's certainly not a lot of money for extras, but you'll manage. 

If you have any questions about the place, shoot me an email and I'd be happy to answer them for you.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Hey, I was accepted to UCSB for next fall and I'm strongly leaning towards attending, but my pay is only 27k. I've been looking at housing costs online and I'm pretty concerned about being able to afford the cost of living.

Everyone I've talked to (and all the information in this thread) suggests that housing is much more reasonable in Goleta, but I can't find any reasonably-priced places online. Anyone have any tips on where to look? I'd prefer living on my own, but obviously roommates are an option.

I've decided against San Clemente, partially because I already have all of my own furniture and I'd have to pay to store it somewhere, and partially because the cost of living there with a roommate and without my own stuff is greater than just getting an apartment at Studio Plaza.

• 1 month later...

I couldn't find a decent estimate of living costs in SB, can anyone share a real estimation?

I hope to apply for San Clemente housings, which will cost me about 900/m. How much more will I need to make a living?

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...

Hey everyone, 

I have recently accepted the offer to attend graduate school in SB! I wanted to live in downtown SB and was wondering whether there were any recommended places? Or would your recommend living in the grad housing provided by the campus? When should I start looking for places? 

I'd be okay with paying between 1k and 1.2k a month for rent, I would like to either have a place to myself or one roommate, a kitchen is a must and I'd like to be within walking / biking distance to a bus stop to get to campus. 

Any helpful hints are welcome! :)

It looks like there are just a few weeks left before the graduate housing application deadline passes. I've read both positive and negative reviews regarding San Clemente. If anything, it seems like the high cost and percentage of undergraduates are the biggest complaints. A positive might be the fact that you can sign a lease for the duration of the school (which might be good to know if you don't plan to find a job in the area over the summer). I've been looking on padmapper and hotpads, but most of the studios seem to be way more than I expect to budget for rent (~$1300). Craigslist looks to have more diversity and available places, but I imagine you need to be in Cali to check it out.

With the encroaching grad. housing deadline, what are other new grad. students planning?

I am planning on probably renting out a place on my own or sharing a 2 bedroom with a roommate. I'm guessing that a lot of apartments won't be available until the end of the semester at SB. I'm looking to move in early June so I need a place ASAP. Craigslist has been somewhat helpful, but I am planning on visiting SB on weekends, checking out places. I live in socal so it shouldn't be too difficult. What program are you in, anoveldave? 

I am planning on probably renting out a place on my own or sharing a 2 bedroom with a roommate. I'm guessing that a lot of apartments won't be available until the end of the semester at SB. I'm looking to move in early June so I need a place ASAP. Craigslist has been somewhat helpful, but I am planning on visiting SB on weekends, checking out places. I live in socal so it shouldn't be too difficult. What program are you in, anoveldave? 

I'm joining the comparative literature department lafresca.

It's definitely more difficult to look into housing from the other coast.

I hope to move out in August-September, but I think I need to decide whether I want to enter graduate housing sooner than later.

I'm joining the comparative literature department lafresca.

It's definitely more difficult to look into housing from the other coast.

I hope to move out in August-September, but I think I need to decide whether I want to enter graduate housing sooner than later.

I might be looking for housing around the same time - I'll send you a DM!

• 9 months later...

Hello Everyone:

Rent is expensive here. REAL EXPENSIVE.

The best place to live, by far, is the housing cooperatives. You definitely want to live in these and not on campus housing. Apply quickly, first come, first serve. They save spots for grad students.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Barbara_Student_Housing_Cooperative

Good luck!!!

• 5 months later...

Bumping this old thread out of curiosity about the culture there.

Guys I read about some kid there that went crazy and hurt people in Isla Vista (Eliot Rodger was his name) and his story brought me back to what I heard about the place a few years back. I heard that Isla Vista is more of an "All American" kind of town in the sense that a lot of the students there are from places like Orange County and the suburban areas of California. A person told me that White and Black people have no problems fitting in with the majority there while Asians, Indians, and Arabs for example would have a tough time fitting in with the crowd there and will often have to search for people of their own races to fit in with. I am a bit shocked to hear this abotu an area of California of all places and would like to know more about it.

Would the frat boy types in Isla Vista be open to allowing a guy who looks a bit "different" (not black or white) into their crowd?

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I am a prospective PhD student at UCSB. Can anyone give me some leads regarding the studio accommodation options near UCSB. I heard that the rentals are expensive in Santa Barbara. Any leads on this would be valuable. Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

Ive heard from experienced colleagues that grad student housing is terrible at UCSB. Many of them now reside in Goleta and commute to campus. Ive heard that if you want a recent studio, you're looking around $900+ If you get anything less than 1,000 per month, you're very lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone elaborate a little more on UCSB? I am doing my own research but it would be helpful to hear other opinions. Is the stipend generally enough to get by? I had one of my current professors tell me that if I plan to move there, I might as well get ready to live in a tent. While this sounds tempting, I am married so it would be irresponsable and cruel to put my wife through that. If I was single I could even sleep in my car. 

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone elaborate a little more on UCSB? I am doing my own research but it would be helpful to hear other opinions. Is the stipend generally enough to get by? I had one of my current professors tell me that if I plan to move there, I might as well get ready to live in a tent. While this sounds tempting, I am married so it would be irresponsable and cruel to put my wife through that. If I was single I could even sleep in my car. 

I know this is a late response, but from what current grad students told me during my visit to the campus this past weekend, you can apply for family housing that's cheaper and higher-quality than other UCSB residences -- so long as you get your foot in the door early! They recommended that you get on a waitlist as soon as possible, even if you haven't yet decided on whether or not you'll attend the program.

I have some questions of my own for folks living in Goleta: is a car necessary to get around, or will a bike + the bus system be all right? What is the city like compared to Santa Barbara? And how far can you stretch a $26,000 stipend in either city? Thank you in advance!

Does anyone have recommendation for the affordable studio/1-bed unit housing that is dog-friendly? I will be moving to SB to attend UCSB starting Fall 2015.