PhD in Public Policy

anxious

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just check the lists here or at http://www.autoadmit.com/ . BTW, I got into the Michigan Poli Sci joint program - I heard abour 4-5 days after people started posting Michigan Poli Sci acceptances. I think the LSA departments post first, and you will hear from GRF shortly thereafter. I haven't seen anything anywhere about Michigan Econ.

I am also waiting on Michigan policy/econ. I thought I saw a Michigan policy/poli sci on the survey results (though maybe it was some other site). Keep us updated!

I have only seen one (UMAA PubPol/PoliSci) and it was me. I posted to this site, and apparently that info (along with lots of others) was lifted onto another site. So it looks like you econ/policy joint folks are the last to hear. Good luck - maybe I'll see ya next year!

I'm the same person as above. I also applied to Chicago and RAND, haven't heard from either. (oh, I did apply to LSE IR, rejected.)

It's interesting, I haven't seen anyone mention RAND on any of the various grad boards. I wonder why? It's a pretty obvious contender for quant policy research, with generous funding.

I also considered Rand, but did not end up applying there, since there is a rolling deadline (figured I would wait and see how schools pan out first). Rand is much less conventional, and only appropriate if you are sure you do not want a job in academia. It may not be respected by all. However, I think it is a great training ground, and working on real policy issues is a huge plus, not to mention you most likely have a job when you are done and it is on the beach.

Guest shootermcgavin

I applied to a handful of Masters programs in Economics, Rand is the only PhD program I applied to at all. I wasn't intending on applying at all this year but after submitting my pre-application they encouraged me to apply.

I imagine we probably won't hear anything back until early March as I think RAND's admissions committee has their final meeting early next week.

Yeah, I am one of those that is 100% sure I don't want an academic job. In fact the "jointness" of the Michigan program turns me off a little, I do not want to waste my time (not saying it's a waste of time, just not for me) doing theory, since I've been working in government and politics for the past 6 years actually implementing stuff.

BTW, I don't think RAND's deadline is rolling, it was Feb 1. I submitted my stuff in December hoping to hear earlier but apparently no dice.

Guest shootermcgavin

Guest,

Since you're the only other RAND applicant I've found, I'm a little curious as to your academic/work background. I know RAND is attracted to a broad range of students and there is no set criteria, but do you mind sharing?

Sure, I already have an MPP from Michigan GRF. Upon graduation, I turned down DC consulting gigs to do political work with an up and comer who (lucky for me) got elected governor. I worked in policy analysis and implementation at pretty high levels for the Attorney General's office (the office the governor was elected out of) then the Governor's office, now in the state homeland security office. Six years all told.

They certainly have some interesting student profiles. A number of physicians, many people with very substantial in-field work experience. The way RAND is set up, they are basically hiring you for a job (to work for them in one of their divisions for 5 years.) I treated my app that way - I know the exact research center I want to work for, because I am familiar with the center's work from my current job, and it is one that is getting good contracts (which eventually is what pays my "salary"). I think they are looking for people they can use.

I also love that it's on the beach!

What about you?

Oh, I was an econ major in udnergrad. I sent in my econometrics undergrad thesis as an example of what I could do long, long ago. Obviously working in politics I haven't done quant in years. I plan to re-take everything from scratch wherever I go.

Guest shootermcgavin7

Not nearly the policy background that you have - I've been in the business world since I graduated.

As mentioned earlier, I wasn't going to apply at all (I was going to get a master's in Economics first); but after receiving my pre-application they encouraged me to apply for this pool although I only have a bachelors.

My academic background is less than stellar. I graduated with a B.S. in Accounting from a small liberal arts college in Atlanta with about a 3.25 GPA. My last two years it was closer to a 3.5.

I took intermediate micro & macro, along with some 400 level economics classes while completing undergrad.

Luckily, I have solid work experience, and I scored an 800 on the GRE quant.

I have a couple of years programming in VB, C++ and Java for an Engineering consulting firm, and have worked for PricewaterhouseCoopers for the past 3 years, and have a CPA.

When I decided I wanted to apply to RAND I started taking math classes with University of Illinois - I'm currently wrapping up Multivariable Calc and Matrix Theory classes - I've got a 4.0 GPA in the ~16 credit hours or so I have with them.

I expect that I'll likely be in a Master's program at GA Tech this fall, as I'm likely a sub-par applicant for RAND at the moment. If I'm accepted it will be a pleasant surprise, since, as I noted earlier, I hadn't even considered applying for Fall 2006 until they encouraged me to.

I'm only 24, so I can always re-apply to RAND with a masters in hand, more math, maybe a refresher on some of the programming languages I've lost, and more research experience in 2 years.

Good luck, I'm sure we'll know in a couple weeks.

You know, don't discount yourself. They invited you for a reason and I think it clearly is your quant aptitude. They have a broad range of topics but quant aptitide is a basic skill that can be used anywhere they need it. They might relish the chance to mold your skills to their method. Your work experience is a definite plus too - many of their contracts are with private firms. From their FAQ:

"What if I am a quantitative jock?

You can fly as high as you want here. You can exempt any courses you’ve already had and springboard to more advanced studies. You can design your own independent tutorials with RAND staff members, not only with the faculty but with any of the more than seven hundred RAND researchers who may share your interests. Many PRGS fellows take advanced courses at UCLA as well. (Of course, tutorials and UCLA courses are also available in non-quantitative areas as well, so they aren’t just an option for quantitative jocks.)"

Really, good luck! I'll post back on this thread when I hear back and I hope you do, too.

Guest shootermcgavin

Hopefully they haven't handed out all 20 of their offers yet - but if so, I guess I'll be back on here in 2 years trying again.

I'll let you know when I hear something either way.

I got an email from RAND Thursday saying I'd been admitted.

I would be interested to hear from those who have been admitted there. Is it your first choice? Why? What other types of programs did you apply to? Where do you anticipate starting your career, academia? Gov't? Think tank? Private sector? Somewhere overseas? I'm going to have a tough time choosing. I wish their visiting weekend was in March because I have a health policy program at a very well-ranked SPH putting some pressure on me; I may have to make a decision in mid-March.