Milwaukee, WI

Guest Aristurtle

Now that all is done and the lease is signed, etc., it looks like we're moving to Shorewood. It's a small suburb immediately north of UWM, only about 1.5 square miles. But what's nice is: lots of good restaurants, walking distance to 3 grocery stores, less than a mile to the Oak Leaf Trail or Lake Michigan, very low crime, best public school system in eastern Wisconsin. So, the rent is a tad higher than elsewhere in the MKE area, but not terrible - about $1 a square foot /mo. We decided that would be fair because in Shorewood our kids can go to the public schools and we don't have to pay $$$ for the private ones (the MKE school district is abysmal, and their better schools have huge waiting lists). 

That said, if you're considering Shorewood, make sure you get a place with parking because it's apparently illegal to park in the street overnight in most of the city. 

For those still looking, we spent 4 long weekends in Milwaukee, toured two dozen houses and drove by a lot others in almost all the neighborhoods, attended a couple different church services, and visited several elementary schools - I'll answer any questions I can. 

• 7 months later...

Hello everyone,

I'm considering applying to UW-Milwaukee for graduate school. Can any current students or Milwaukee residents tell me about the University. I don't really know anything about the school. Also what is life in Milwaukee like. I've been told that parts of Milwaukee surrounding the University can be very dangerous. 

Thanks!

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bumping, too!

Just got admitted and funded for the PhD in English at UWM. I am an international student and came to the US for my MA two years ago... So far I have only lived in Austin, Texas. So I would love to hear some thoughts on moving from the "hot" parts of the US to the rather "cold" ones. What are winters in Milwaukee like?

Also, can someone tell me if there is a comedy scene in Miilwaukee?

• 8 months later...
On 4/13/2021 at 12:09 AM, Ulise said:

Bumping, too!

Just got admitted and funded for the PhD in English at UWM. I am an international student and came to the US for my MA two years ago... So far I have only lived in Austin, Texas. So I would love to hear some thoughts on moving from the "hot" parts of the US to the rather "cold" ones. What are winters in Milwaukee like?

Also, can someone tell me if there is a comedy scene in Miilwaukee?

hi I am applying the Phd in English at UWM too. What is your feeling now? I am interested in living and learning environment there!!