Whats the best pc to buy?

micromajor2011

... uses the TV instead of a monitor...

my plan is hook my projector to the box when i move into my new place. just like you said, free online shows plus any dvd/bluray played on the box will be awesome to watch on the big screen!

I think im settling for the Toshiba Protege R835-P50X. I have done a lot of searching and it seems like a good fit for my needs, along with a great desktop at home, this should do the trick. Thanks for all the replies it really helped out a lot.

my plan is hook my projector to the box when i move into my new place. just like you said, free online shows plus any dvd/bluray played on the box will be awesome to watch on the big screen!

I wouldn't use the TV as your one-stop monitor if you're planning on using it conventionally (i.e., 1.5 feet or so away from your eyes).

1. Most TVs are huge.

2. Your eyes will be strained from the harshness of the TV.

A nice IPS/PVA/MVA panel will do wonders for the quality of picture without being too bright/contrasty like a TV/TN panel.

My set up is dual 24" PVA panels with a 25' HDMI that I swap with one of my DVI to connect to my TV across the room when needed.

I find 24" monitors to be about the limit of what I can stand- 27" or higher is just a bit much on my desk.

I have two Dell Ultasharps that I got on Craigslist (for way, way, less than their list value), one's a 20" 4:3 that I use at work, and the other is a 24" 16:9 that I use at home, where I watch more movies. The benefits of an IPS panel over TN panels are huge, though, especially if you're using them a lot (I think most of them are).

I have a 13" Toshiba laptop. It was rather expensive when I got it. My older laptop's monitor hinges broke and I was in urgent need for a new laptop. This model had just been released and it was the only one with the features I wanted. Got it for $1,200. Intel processor, 500gb hd, separate graphics card, etc. I haven't had any issues with it, except for the keyboard, which is not one of Toshiba's strong points, arguably. The keyboard itself works fine, but the keys are starting to show signs of wearing away.... I've had the laptop for a year and a half now... Also, battery doesn't last for more than 2 hrs.

The last laptop I had (the one that broke) was a Toshiba. I had used it for 7 years without any problems.

Edited by TheSquirrel

Sorry to be a pain in the butt, but you're better off getting a Mac. I've had a couple of PC laptops, and they just don't have the longevity of my MacBook. You could use a comp that will last the entire program, and a Mac is the safest bet. It's worth the student loan $$$.