Baltimore, MD

I was accepted at JHU - can anyone vouch for city life in Baltimore? Are there things to do within walking distance of campus, or does entertainment require a longer trek? How's public transportation?

It's considered dangerous, I guess, but I really like the area around JHU (Charles Villiage/Remington/Roland Park) People will say not to go off campus etc, but if they would just do it they would be fine. Its like any other urban university in that respect. Within walking distance of campus are several bars, coffee shops, parks, art museums, churches, grocery stores, liquor stores, and good places to eat... basically the equivilant of a small college town surrounds JHU, complete with non-college residents who get mad at the undergrads when they party too hard and refuse to use crosswalks!! (I lived there for several years as a non-student)

The city itself is really fun and lots to do, tons of college/grads hanging out, good cultural scene (if you like music and community events, though DC can be better for local bands), tons of museums, fun sporting stuff with the Os and Ravens, and good downtown areas (Inner Harbor, Fells Point, and Federal Hill). Public transport exists, but cabs/cars/bikes are easier if you are going out since buses can be sporadic and the Light Rail sucks. It takes about 15 minutes to get downtown from JHU, and about 30 minutes to get out to larger outdoor parks if hiking or biking is your thing. There are also lots of little neighborhoods with individual flavor along the way out and back from Charles street, so check them out if you get sick of Charles villiage.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Guest wanderer

I was accepted to Univ of Maryland Baltimore County... any idea about the univ, area, reputation?

p.s. - my program is applied physics?

• 2 years later...

So I saw some mentions in the DC/MD suburbs thread, but I thought I'd start my own... I'm highly considering doing my PhD at Hopkins Med School, and I wanted to hear thoughts on the area. I don't know a ton about Baltimore, although I've heard what everyone wants to say about how dangerous it is around the medical school, etc, but that's not that much of a concern to me - I'm more curious about the restaurant/bar scene, the gay scene if anyone is familiar with it, and living arrangements... I'm thinking I'd most likely live in Mt Vernon, I know of a few good places there within my price range (Waterloo Place and 222 Saratoga, I think...) but more suggestions are always welcomed!

So I saw some mentions in the DC/MD suburbs thread, but I thought I'd start my own... I'm highly considering doing my PhD at Hopkins Med School, and I wanted to hear thoughts on the area. I don't know a ton about Baltimore, although I've heard what everyone wants to say about how dangerous it is around the medical school, etc, but that's not that much of a concern to me - I'm more curious about the restaurant/bar scene, the gay scene if anyone is familiar with it, and living arrangements... I'm thinking I'd most likely live in Mt Vernon, I know of a few good places there within my price range (Waterloo Place and 222 Saratoga, I think...) but more suggestions are always welcomed!

Baltimore is a great place to live. Plenty to do without the hassle of expensive housing arrangements (unless you choose to live in JHU housing which is expensive). I will touch on a few of your points.

There are a ton of restaurants and bars here. From Federal Hill to Mount Vernon to Downtown you name it. There are even plenty of neighborhood bars and grub spots.

If you are considering living in Mount Vernon, then you are already aware that lots of other gays live there too along with in Charles Village (above North Avenue). So you will really be in the middle of it all. Mount Vernon is a very pricey area though. There are places in other parts of the city that are just as nice without the expense. If you will have a car, this will not be a problem. However, public transportation is not bad and living either on a Metro line stop, a Light Rail stop, or even on the JHU intercampus shuttle stop is not a bad idea.

I actually had no clue that Mt Vernon was a popular place for gay people to live! It's just where most of the current students I met over the interview weekend seemed to live, and it was the neighborhood we stayed in... Thanks for some great tips though!

• 3 weeks later...

I lived in Mt. Vernon for a while and loved it. The only time I noticed that it was the "gayborhood" was one weekend in July when the Pride festival took place.

I love Baltimore more than any other place on earth, though I don't live there now, unfortunately. I was a bike messenger in the city and know it like the back of my hand!

As for the area around Hopkins...it's kinda mixed. Northwest of campus is Hampden (pronounced Ham-din), which is the old, proudly white trashy part of the city. Some of the homes in Hampden have been redone though, and those are super cute. Hampden has lots of cute shops and is home to Hon-Fest each year. To the north of campus you have Guilford, which are the old, expensive society homes. To the south is Charles Village (25th St. through 40th St.), which is cute but a little iffy at night. Further south from Charles Village is North Avenue and "Penn North" (Mount Royal Ave. through 25th St. or so). North Avenue is sketchy even during the day, I have to say. Of course, the next neighborhood south of North Ave. is Mt. Vernon (Saratoga St. through Mt. Royal Ave.), which is my favorite part of the city. If I were going to be a student at Hopkins, I, being small and a woman, would probably choose to live within 5 blocks of campus. However, if you want to be near fun nightlife, I would suggest Mt. Vernon. Mt. Vernon has tons of cool bars/pubs/restaurants (Brewer's Art is my fave bar, The Helmand is my fave restaurant, and Nino's Pizza is way more delicious than the price would suggest) and is very close to "downtown."

I'd be happy to answer any more questions! I love Baltimore and miss it dearly.

I lived in Mt. Vernon for a while and loved it. The only time I noticed that it was the "gayborhood" was one weekend in July when the Pride festival took place.

I love Baltimore more than any other place on earth, though I don't live there now, unfortunately. I was a bike messenger in the city and know it like the back of my hand!

As for the area around Hopkins...it's kinda mixed. Northwest of campus is Hampden (pronounced Ham-din), which is the old, proudly white trashy part of the city. Some of the homes in Hampden have been redone though, and those are super cute. Hampden has lots of cute shops and is home to Hon-Fest each year. To the north of campus you have Guilford, which are the old, expensive society homes. To the south is Charles Village (25th St. through 40th St.), which is cute but a little iffy at night. Further south from Charles Village is North Avenue and "Penn North" (Mount Royal Ave. through 25th St. or so). North Avenue is sketchy even during the day, I have to say. Of course, the next neighborhood south of North Ave. is Mt. Vernon (Saratoga St. through Mt. Royal Ave.), which is my favorite part of the city. If I were going to be a student at Hopkins, I, being small and a woman, would probably choose to live within 5 blocks of campus. However, if you want to be near fun nightlife, I would suggest Mt. Vernon. Mt. Vernon has tons of cool bars/pubs/restaurants (Brewer's Art is my fave bar, The Helmand is my fave restaurant, and Nino's Pizza is way more delicious than the price would suggest) and is very close to "downtown."

I'd be happy to answer any more questions! I love Baltimore and miss it dearly.

I'm always glad to hear good impressions of Baltimore. I'm interviewing at Hopkins on Tuesday.

Come hang out in the linguistics forum! We have fun and games.

If I were going to be a student at Hopkins, I, being small and a woman, would probably choose to live within 5 blocks of campus.

Are there some predominantly grad student apartment complexes within that area? And if so, what are they?

Are there some predominantly grad student apartment complexes within that area? And if so, what are they?

In which area? The Homewood campus area? If so then there are plenty of housing options for grad students all within walking distance of the campus. They are very good quality, but are also fairly overpriced. If you are willing to live a little further from campus, you can find comparable living arrangements for several hundred dollars less per month.

In which area? The Homewood campus area? If so then there are plenty of housing options for grad students all within walking distance of the campus. They are very good quality, but are also fairly overpriced. If you are willing to live a little further from campus, you can find comparable living arrangements for several hundred dollars less per month.

Yeah, the Homewood area. And any suggestions about these further away places?

Kind of silly question... does anyone know of pet stores in the city? Preferably Mt Vernon area? That's where I'd likely live and I'd be moving with reptiles and am just concerned about being able to get them food (crickets, etc...) without much issue - I'm not currently a car owner, would that be necessary to feed my guys?

As for pet stores I know there is a big one near the Target which is in Towson, but you need a car to get there (and it's a bit far from the JHU-Loyola-Towson mall shuttle, but there could be a smaller one closer). One of my roommates had turtles and didn't seem to have a problem finding food for them.

As for grad housing there are a number of apt buildings around homewood so check some of those out. Most are fairly quiet for grad students, but the Northway is known to be a bit more of a party apartment. There are also a lot of row houses, which can be cheaper than apartments, you just have to be careful at night, and check who your neighbors are going to be (of course frats are a bad idea to live next to but there are some other groups, rugby, ultimate frisbee, that are known for undergrad parties too). Good luck. You do have to travel a bit away from Homewood to find good clubs/bars/restaurants in Baltimore, but it's not too hard and the cabs aren't usually very expensive (cars are great but as in any city parking is a HUGE pain and driving too since there are so many one way streets). I had fun there as an undergrad, it's not a bad city.

Thanks for the info. I'm just decided for sure that I'll be going to JHU, so I'm quite excited to experience Baltimore life.

Baltimore is a great city. To maximize your experience, just be sure not to confine yourself to JHU and other typical college hotspots and you will be fine.

I'll be at the JHU Med campus in East Baltimore, so I definitely don't plan on spending more time in that area than necessary. I'm hoping to live in Mt. Vernon and explore a lot from there... I'm quite excited about Baltimore in general!

Is there a beach in Baltimore?

I hope there are a few places to play tennis...any thoughts on this topic?

Haha a beach in Baltimore? Right! No, but you could always drive to one of the many beaches near Baltimore.

And yes, there are plenty of tennis courts. All of the universities have ones open to the public as well as several high schools.

I currently live in Baltimore. Love it. Moved from NYC 2 1/2 years ago for money, job, and friend reasons. I will be attending UMaryland College Park (between DC and Baltimore) in the fall and I'd rather commute a bit than leave my wonderful life in Baltimore. Anyone, feel free to ask me any questions on here on in private.

Some info and thoughts:

-Yes, Baltimore is a dangerous city. So are plenty of cities. If you make friends and do your research, you'll make sure to live in a safe neighborhood. I know my way around the city, so I feel more comfortable driving anywhere (but not always walking anywhere!).

-Read up on the history of Baltimore. It is a fascinating city. There is so much to explore!!! When I first moved here I had a bit of culture shock. It's a very segregated city and very black/white. I was used to living in NYC with everyone under the sun running around town. The geography of the city also encourages a certain amount of isolation when it comes to some neighborhoods. It's easy to stay in your little 10 block radius here. DON'T DO THAT! It's too rich of a city to isolate yourself. Many people will tell you not to go to certain areas without having ever been to these places....I often think this is a result of racism and classism.

-Many of my friends are artists and musicians. Baltimore is really making a name for itself lately and it's exciting that there is always a play, concert, or art opening to attend.

-I live in the neighborhood of Hampden and am in close walking distance to the main JHU campus. Very pretty campus. Figure out where you'd be going. For instance, the med school is not on the main campus.

-Many JHU students live in Hampden (my preference!), Charles Village, and Remington( cheapest and least safe of the 3) neighborhoods if they go to the main campus (I think it's called Homewood).

-Hampden is an amazing neighborhood. A little strange in a Baltimore kinda way (watch a John waters film!). Historically a blue collar, white neighborhood, but lots of gentrification over the last couple of decades. It's still rough around the edges, but I feel very safe. I live in a rowhome, have a yard, and walk two blocks to some of my favorite places to eat. I know many of the local merchants. Many young people flock to this area of the city for shopping, bar hopping, and eating.

-Mt. Vernon is a fun place to live. Gives you a real "city' feeling as opposed to my Hampden lifestyle. Totally agree about Brewer's Art....best fries in town! Can find good deals here if you look....you'll be living in an apartment building.

-I have a bunch of friends who are gay, but none into the "gay scene" in the city for various reasons. They'd rather hang out with like minded people with similar interests than with other people just because they are also gay.

-While the beaches are on the Eastern Shore (two hours away), the surrounding areas in Baltimore County have amazing reservoirs and swimming areas. There are public pools that I go to in the city. There is tennis all over, in private clubs and in public parks.

-Get a car or find a friend who has a car. There are amazing places to visit outside the city. For example, I buy meat at a farm north of the city and find antiques in old timey Ellicott City (west of city).

-I hate public transportation here (although people do use it)! I have a reverse commute to the county, and so I must drive. Many of my friends in the city, though, don't have cars. Although it's hilly here, many of my friends bike everywhere.

-Don't use JHU housing, as they'll take advantage of people new to the city. One of the reasons I moved here is because I wanted to save money! I currently live 15 minutes walking distance to Homewood. I live in a newly remodeled house with a yard and a deck with three other friends. I pay $450!

WELCOME TO CHARM CITY!!!!!!!!

How difficult would it be to bike from Mt. Vernon to JHU medical campus? I'm just trying to figure out where I would want to live since I don't have a car. I know there is a free shuttle to the medical campus. Am I right in thinking it goes from Homewood with a stop in Mt Vernon and then on? Are there any other stops along the way?

Thanks for the great info guys. I'm getting really psyched about Baltimore. I might be taking a day trip to the city soon to get better acquainted with some areas (Hampden, Charles Village, Mt Vernon...) where I'm mostly thinking of living. For this trip I'm not so interested in seeing apartments themselves as just getting a feel for the neighborhood - anyone have any tips on must-do activities? I might also be going with a girl who is trying to decide if she like Baltimore enough to go to JHU, so things that show the best side of the city would be nice for that.