Baltimore, MD

On 4/16/2018 at 4:08 AM, quinessloopypun said:

I will be attending Johns Hopkins this fall. What are the options for housing? What do you suggest?

Which campus will you be on? I went to the School of Public Health for my master's in 2015-2016 and rented a space off of the Hopkins housing site (it's like craigslist for Hopkins students). If you're on the Homewood campus, the surrounding areas of Charles Village and Remington are nice but very undergrad. I lived there for a year and loved the area but felt a little too old for the undergrad scene. If you're on the medical (east baltimore) campus, I would NOT suggest living in East Baltimore (like the 929 building), but instead living in Mount Vernon, Midtown Belvedere, Bolton Hill, Station North, or Charles Village and just taking the shuttle bus to campus (it runs regularly and is free!). If you have a car or fine with walking to the medical campus, Upper Fells, Butchers Hill, and Patterson Park are nice too.

It mostly depends on which campus you'll be on, and what your options are for transportation.

30 minutes ago, moar_skool said:

Which campus will you be on? I went to the School of Public Health for my master's in 2015-2016 and rented a space off of the Hopkins housing site (it's like craigslist for Hopkins students). If you're on the Homewood campus, the surrounding areas of Charles Village and Remington are nice but very undergrad. I lived there for a year and loved the area but felt a little too old for the undergrad scene. If you're on the medical (east baltimore) campus, I would NOT suggest living in East Baltimore (like the 929 building), but instead living in Mount Vernon, Midtown Belvedere, Bolton Hill, Station North, or Charles Village and just taking the shuttle bus to campus (it runs regularly and is free!). If you have a car or fine with walking to the medical campus, Upper Fells, Butchers Hill, and Patterson Park are nice too.

It mostly depends on which campus you'll be on, and what your options are for transportation.

Thank you so much for the really detailed answer. I will be a graduate student at the philosophy department, hence Homewood. Charles Village looks very nice and close to Homewood. I don't mind the undergraduate scene, but I am a bit worried about the rent. I have checked and the prices fluctuate too much from property to property. I will not have a car, so I care about the transportation options, though I doubt I will leave the Homewood area too much.

How much did you pay for your place back in 2015-2016?

On 4/17/2018 at 1:06 PM, quinessloopypun said:

Thank you so much for the really detailed answer. I will be a graduate student at the philosophy department, hence Homewood. Charles Village looks very nice and close to Homewood. I don't mind the undergraduate scene, but I am a bit worried about the rent. I have checked and the prices fluctuate too much from property to property. I will not have a car, so I care about the transportation options, though I doubt I will leave the Homewood area too much.

How much did you pay for your place back in 2015-2016?

I paid $850 (including utilities) for a furnished room in a row house (just a room, not my own apartment). Now that I know the Baltimore market better, than is WAY overpriced. But I didn't know that at the time. I would suggest looking in Mount Vernon/Midtown Belvedere or Station North as well and taking the free Hopkins bus up to homewood. It's very doable in terms of transportation, and you may be able to find a better housing deal in those areas. Plus they tend to have more of a young adult crowd/activities. I lived in Mount Vernon for a year in a fully furnished, spacious 2-bedroom for $1700 (divided between two roommates)--same rent as my Charles Village rental situation but I got so much more for the money.

Charles Village has had a ton of development even in the 2 years since I lived there, so I imagine prices are getting steeper. The Hopkins shuttle runs up & down Charles/St.Paul so anything generally along those streets will allow you to catch the shuttle easily.