NATO Internship

josiewebb923

13 hours ago, isma93 said:

Yes of course I'm not saying I'm the best of everyone ahaha:D But still I thought that my profile could catch their attention somehow. You never finish learning in life LOL

Same happened to me. The applications I was rejected for, don't show the witdraw option anymore. I still have many applications underway though, some of them inside the Political Affairs Division which I'm really hoping for.

Have your applications been updated as well? Do they show recent dates? It's my first time applying so I have no idea how it works. Can I also ask you what's your background, if you don't mind? So I can have an idea of the other people who are in my same boat LOL thank you!

Isma

I also waiting for the one within Political Affair Division. I not even sure if I really qualify for any with PAD since my BA is Political Science and very general instead of specific focus. 

5 hours ago, arrow1 said:

I only have a BA in Political Science. Did you graduate this year? I won't be able to apply since they would want someone who graduate recently or one year later only. 

I hold a BA in communications and foreign languages (2012-2015), a master of science in political science (2015-2016), and I am now enrolled in a second master of arts in IR (2017-2019) that I’m following while working. So I could be able to apply for the next 1 - 2 years as well. But I’m not sure if I will, as I already have over 1 year professional experience and I’ll most likely want a real job next year. After the job I have now will be over, I’ll have 1.5 years experience including 6 months on the field in a post-conflict country. Hopefully this will qualify me for a real job position? 

Concerning PAD, my studies in political science are quite general as well, don’t worry about it. I applied to the two divisions I feel most qualified for because of my previous job experience: 

- Policy and Programmes section (I have work experience inside the department of political affairs at the United Nations in New York, where I worked in project management) 

- NATO and Multilateral Affairs section (So far, I worked for the United Nations, the European Union, and I’m now at OSCE. They’re all organizations with whom NATO interacts in this section). 

Which sections did you apply to in PAD? 

Isma 

Edited by isma93

8 hours ago, arrow1 said:

I only have a BA in Political Science. Did you graduate this year? I won't be able to apply since they would want someone who graduate recently or one year later only. 

I've finished my BA in July 2017, and I will finish my postgraduation during this month.

1 hour ago, paulojrv said:

Just received the second rejection e-mail from Policy & Capabilities Division.

Yeah me too, but it wasn't even my favorite division. It was stuck with update date May, so I think I wasn't ever even considered for that one. Still waiitng for the other ones, I see some of my applications to PAD show 1 July and 25-26 June as last update. Stressful. Did you do any other applications besides the ones you were already rejected for?

10 hours ago, isma93 said:

Yeah me too, but it wasn't even my favorite division. It was stuck with update date May, so I think I wasn't ever even considered for that one. Still waiitng for the other ones, I see some of my applications to PAD show 1 July and 25-26 June as last update. Stressful. Did you do any other applications besides the ones you were already rejected for?

I'm waiting for 8 more.

1 hour ago, Polo07 said:

Literally just got my rejection letter. All the best to the rest of you!

I also just got a rejection, from PASP/Policy and Programme Team (so anyone who has also applied there and not received a rejection can rejoice ;) ). The application's update date was mid-May, so it was not a big surprise.

Polo, to which division/section had you applied?

Edited by VTheo

Hi everyone! Just got an interview with the Political Affairs Division - Policy and Programmes Team! It's my first interview with NATO and I really have no idea what they could ask! Anyone out there on the same boat??? Thank you!! :D

Edited by isma93

@isma93

Hey! so I had an interview last week for the internship program and they started with general questions about why I applied to the internship, what my past experience is, examples of when I overcame a difficult situation in a previous job etc. Then they asked specific questions about the division I was interviewing for - so make sure you do some research and know about the division and their main goals and objectives. And then we finished with some super general questions about NATO! it was pretty straight forward so don't stress too much :) 

Just now, Caro92 said:

@isma93

Hey! so I had an interview last week for the internship program and they started with general questions about why I applied to the internship, what my past experience is, examples of when I overcame a difficult situation in a previous job etc. Then they asked specific questions about the division I was interviewing for - so make sure you do some research and know about the division and their main goals and objectives. And then we finished with some super general questions about NATO! it was pretty straight forward so don't stress too much :) 

Thank you so much!! I prefer interviews over written tests because I have a very open personality and I talk a lot, but also I'm putting a lot of effort into this NATO thing and I want to be well prepared to make them a good impression :) I already know pretty much what the division does, but I have time before the interview to search for even more information. Thanks a lot again!

@VTheo I had applied to the policy programme position as well haha.

Congrats @isma93 for getting an interview with them. I hope you get it!

From what I have heard its a 10 minute phone interview. I found a lot of info material about "Building Integrity" and "DEEP" through google searches ( a few pdfs popped up). From what I remember, Iraq is now in the center and they are launching a few intiatives. I think they had a Summit about one of the two programs in Bagdad in May/June. But again, I am not too sure about all of this, it has been a while.

I hope you get it Isma!

27 minutes ago, Polo07 said:

@VTheo I had applied to the policy programme position as well haha.

Congrats @isma93 for getting an interview with them. I hope you get it!

From what I have heard its a 10 minute phone interview. I found a lot of info material about "Building Integrity" and "DEEP" through google searches ( a few pdfs popped up). From what I remember, Iraq is now in the center and they are launching a few intiatives. I think they had a Summit about one of the two programs in Bagdad in May/June. But again, I am not too sure about all of this, it has been a while.

I hope you get it Isma!

Thank you so much! I worked on MENA when I was at the UN, but more on North Africa and Jordan. Now I’m on the field in Kosovo. Never really worked on Iraq specifically, but I hope they’ll still like me!! Fingers crossed? 

4 hours ago, isma93 said:

Hi everyone! Just got an interview with the Political Affairs Division - Policy and Programmes Team! It's my first interview with NATO and I really have no idea what they could ask! Anyone out there on the same boat??? Thank you!! :D

unforunately I didn't get into the Policy and Programmes team within PAD....I still have arm control 

On 7/4/2018 at 9:10 PM, isma93 said:

I hold a BA in communications and foreign languages (2012-2015), a master of science in political science (2015-2016), and I am now enrolled in a second master of arts in IR (2017-2019) that I’m following while working. So I could be able to apply for the next 1 - 2 years as well. But I’m not sure if I will, as I already have over 1 year professional experience and I’ll most likely want a real job next year. After the job I have now will be over, I’ll have 1.5 years experience including 6 months on the field in a post-conflict country. Hopefully this will qualify me for a real job position? 

Concerning PAD, my studies in political science are quite general as well, don’t worry about it. I applied to the two divisions I feel most qualified for because of my previous job experience: 

- Policy and Programmes section (I have work experience inside the department of political affairs at the United Nations in New York, where I worked in project management) 

- NATO and Multilateral Affairs section (So far, I worked for the United Nations, the European Union, and I’m now at OSCE. They’re all organizations with whom NATO interacts in this section). 

Which sections did you apply to in PAD? 

Isma 

I only applied to Policy and Programmes team and arm control due to the rest requiring a master degree which I don't have. 

43 minutes ago, arrow1 said:

I only applied to Policy and Programmes team and arm control due to the rest requiring a master degree which I don't have. 

I imagine when you don’t hold a Master yet it can be more difficult. :( I could apply to many positions because I already hold a Master degree and I’m pursuing a second one, so I have the basic requirements for all the positions. I didn’t apply to all of them of course, because many have special requirements I don’t meet (expertise in a specific region, advanced Sharepoint abilities, advanced French language). Best of luck for the arms control one! The recruiting process is still very much in progress, I hope you’ll hear from them soon

On 7/9/2018 at 1:16 PM, isma93 said:

I imagine when you don’t hold a Master yet it can be more difficult. :( I could apply to many positions because I already hold a Master degree and I’m pursuing a second one, so I have the basic requirements for all the positions. I didn’t apply to all of them of course, because many have special requirements I don’t meet (expertise in a specific region, advanced Sharepoint abilities, advanced French language). Best of luck for the arms control one! The recruiting process is still very much in progress, I hope you’ll hear from them soon

I not even sure if I could get in to any NATO internship. It seem they require French and English instead of just knowing one. I can't really speak write or even have a conversation in French. . 

Edited by arrow1

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:23 PM, arrow1 said:

I not even sure if I could get in to any NATO internship. It seem they require French and English instead of just knowing one. I can't really speak write or even have a conversation in French. . 

I'm not very advanced in French either. I have a B1 level I guess, so I can have a conversation, write short texts, but not properly work in French. Did you ever study it?

Also, anyone got their applications updated in the last few days? My application to the emerging security challenges division - counter terrorism section now jumped to the top and shows 12 july as last update! Have no idea what that means

18 minutes ago, VTheo said:

@isma93 Same here, ESCD/CT jumped to the top, dated 12 July. It probably means we escaped elimination for that round.

Could you tell us a bit about your interview, what kind of questions they asked etc?

Same for me.

4 hours ago, VTheo said:

@isma93 Same here, ESCD/CT jumped to the top, dated 12 July. It probably means we escaped elimination for that round.

Could you tell us a bit about your interview, what kind of questions they asked etc?

I still don't know, interview will be on Wednesday. I'm reading a lot about NATO in general, plus the PASP division who shortlisted me deals with programs for the education of military personnel, and I do a similar thing here with OSCE, I work on educational programs for law enforcement officials. So I will try to draw some connections between the two jobs during the interview I guess. I'm excited about PASP but my number one choice was ESCD/CT, so I hope I will be shortlisted for that one as well!

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:02 PM, VTheo said:

Hello @VTheo! The interview went pretty well I guess, there was just one guy interviewing me and he was very chill and fun. He had a set of 10 questions for me:

1) Introduce yourself and your academic and professional background

2) Why did you apply to NATO and why are you the best candidate for this internship?

3) Are you a team player? Give me a practical example

4) Do you prefer to plan your work or work under pressure? Give me examples

5) What is one of your biggest achievements during your studies or your professional career?

6) Tell me about one problem you had during studies or work, and how you solved it

7) Have you ever worked in, or on, Post-Soviet countries?

8) Do you have any experience in project management and monitoring and evaluation?

9) Which skills do you birng to NATO and which skills do you want to learn from this internship?

10) What do you know in general about NATO and about our division?

As I said, nothing too technical or too scary. The guy was fun and the athmosphere relaxed. I hope I'll get it, but even in case I won't, I'll remember it as a positive interview experience.

Cheers,

Isma

On 7/16/2018 at 3:02 AM, VTheo said:

I have the same thing for ESCD/CT jumped to July 12. There also like 12 days left in July so they have to decide soon if we are shortlisted or not shortlisted