NATO Internship

josiewebb923

I was lucky to meet with someone who worked for NATO and she advised me on my application. It wasn't THAT illuminating, as she didn't know that much about the internship program, but she did say that the balance in nationality is important to them. What is your background? I'm in my final year for my bachelor's degree in comparative politics. I'm hoping my application is sufficient, but for every person like me there's someone at Harvard who's worked at the White House LOL

lol, I can relate! I'm currently completing my last few months of my history master but by the time the internship would start I'll also have a graduate diploma in international relations. 

I have no idea how they will see a history grad applying lol but I thought it was worth a shot :) I'm hoping my foreign languages will pull me through!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, everyone!

I've been reading the previous posts and I have a little question: where can we check the status of our application?
I applied to the  NATO HQ SACT internship programme for the Spring 2018 programmes but the application was made via email. I sent my application and they replied telling me they would contact me in a few months or so. 
From what I've been reading, you all seem to have an account where you check for your applications? :huh:
oh well, it's my first time applying so I hope someone can enlighten me about this :lol:

Also, I made only one application where they asked me to give the order of preference of the departments. We had a limit of 5 departmanents to choose. Did you make more than one application?

Good luck to you all!

Hello Ana G,

For the NATO HQ (based in Brussels) you indeed have a personal account to apply, but for NATO SACT (based in Virginia, USA) you send your application by email only I believe, which is why you can't "check" the status of your application.

Hope that helps !

Edited by KCWS93

• 2 weeks later...

Hi arrow1,

There doesn't seem to be much information on the internship online (what I can find anyway). I also hope they don't base it on experience as I don't have much professional experience in my CV. I would presume it will vary from department to department. Some will want experience, some more focused on education/languages.

Which division have you applied to, if I may ask?

On 6/15/2017 at 5:15 AM, RLJ1874 said:

Hi arrow1,

There doesn't seem to be much information on the internship online (what I can find anyway). I also hope they don't base it on experience as I don't have much professional experience in my CV. I would presume it will vary from department to department. Some will want experience, some more focused on education/languages.

Which division have you applied to, if I may ask?

Political Affairs and Security Policy Division. I could see this being a very popular division. 

Did you guys get the e-mail today? I got two empty and one saying about my application progress.
I checked out and I have been shortlisted to three divisions. My domain - defence.

1 hour ago, KCWS93 said:

Congratulations Simona !

Same here, I have received three different emails and have been shortlisted for three positions.

However, some divisons may announce it earlier that others ? Not too sure.

How did you give a feedback for them? Cuz I just pressed the "confirm" button.

Hi all,

Congratulations on being shortlisted! Very nice to be informed earlier than expected.

I received no emails, however I logged into the system and my application status for all divisions is still 'application submitted'.

Going with the fact that it doesn't yet say 'not shortlisted' ^_^ and staying positive...for now:rolleyes:

If I am right there is 120 spots available? The more popular the division the more time it takes to decide whether or not to shortlist them? I would assume you get shortlist early if you are going for internship in March? 

1 hour ago, RLJ1874 said:

Hi all,

Congratulations on being shortlisted! Very nice to be informed earlier than expected.

I received no emails, however I logged into the system and my application status for all divisions is still 'application submitted'.

Going with the fact that it doesn't yet say 'not shortlisted' ^_^ and staying positive...for now:rolleyes:

I won't be surprise if Political Affairs and security policy division is very popular. I guessing there a lot of people interest or their major is related enough. I guessing every person who has a political science/international relation major would apply. It harder if you fighting with master or PhD who has years of experience and extensive research and writing skills... 

Hi everyone,

I've also got the information about being shortlisted though for only one sub-domain. Does anyone know if there's a chance to still be shortlisted for other ones or it's more of a simultaneous process?

Hope you all are having a nice summer!

7 minutes ago, aeme said:

Hi everyone,

I've also got the information about being shortlisted though for only one sub-domain. Does anyone know if there's a chance to still be shortlisted for other ones or it's more of a simultaneous process?

Hope you all are having a nice summer!

Hi aeme,

I've been through the process once before and my application was updated only once so in my case it was a simultaneous process. Congrats for being shortlisted, what division did you select ?

Edited by KCWS93

1 hour ago, KCWS93 said:

Hi aeme,

I've been through the process once before and my application was updated only once so in my case it was a simultaneous process. Congrats for being shortlisted, what division did you select ?

I think it depends on the division. Yesterday, I got two e-mails saying that my application has progressed. So I logged into the portal and I found out that I've been shortlisted for two positions and I received another e-mail this morning. My guess is that not all divisions have made their decisions yet and that they're still updating the whole system. Congrats to everybody who got shortlisted! If not, don't worry too much about it and try again next year because that's honestly what I did... 

14 minutes ago, Pp5678 said:

I think it depends on the division. Yesterday, I got two e-mails saying that my application has progressed. So I logged into the portal and I found out that I've been shortlisted for two positions and I received another e-mail this morning. My guess is that not all divisions have made their decisions yet and that they're still updating the whole system. Congrats to everybody who got shortlisted! If not, don't worry too much about it and try again next year because that's honestly what I did... 

Well, there you go, a counter-example ! :) That's good to know !

Alright, thank you for replies, hopefully one will be enough for me, congrats to you all too! :) I'm glad there's some active people on this forum, because honestly it's too difficult to find extra information on this internship.

4 hours ago, KCWS93 said:

Congrats for being shortlisted, what division did you select ?

Security, what about you?

35 minutes ago, aeme said:

Alright, thank you for replies, hopefully one will be enough for me, congrats to you all too! :) I'm glad there's some active people on this forum, because honestly it's too difficult to find extra information on this internship.

Is that the NATO office of security division 

3 hours ago, Pp5678 said:

I just interest in what division were you shortlist for? 

47 minutes ago, aeme said:

I know, this forum has been really helpful ! I've applied to the Operations Division.