The 'Am I competitive' thread - READ ME BEFORE POSTING

Sorry to re-interrupt the bickering. I'll try to keep it brief.

My primary reason for not applying to HKS and Fletcher is that it seems to me that they want to see that you have command of a world language coming in. And both advise pretty strongly against using the two years on campus to try to master a language. Sadly no one seems to think that Acholi (spoken by about 1.2 million people) or Ugandan Sign Language (probably less than 10,000 people, but that's a wild guess) qualify as a world language. And my command of Spanish at this stage is...uh...más o menos at the very best. Let me put it this way, I feel like people with my command of Spanish are exactly the kind of people that HKS and Fletcher are trying to dissuade from applying on the assumption that they'll brush up during their time on campus. If that doesn't square with anyone's read of the HKS or Fletcher language requirements though, I'll be more than happy to be wrong! Like...anyone who arrived at Fletcher with a weak world language and did fine on the language requirements on their way out? Though I can't imagine why those people would be on this board.

Any particular reason to suggest HKS and Fletcher, given that SAIS and WWS are on my list? At any rate, I'm currently leaning towards DC schools on account of the year round internship opportunities. Before anyone jumps on that, let me say that I am absolutely certain that this conversation (DC v. Boston or San Diego or Princeton, etc. for internship opportunities) has been hashed out by our esteemed panel of internet experts (present company included) in roughly 100 other places on this board in the past.

I should be more charitable about the AmeriCorps resume bullet, you're absolutely right. I think I discount it a bit because I did my AmeriCorps service in my college town while I was going to school, so it felt a bit like AmeriCorps Light. I guess when I think of the "real" AmeriCorps I imagine people in the Lower Ninth Ward or something? At any rate, Georgetown mentions how many AmeriCorps members are in their incoming class, so I gather that it must matter to them.

Thanks for the input, all!

In the interest of not making you search for the references that I am referring to. I realize now that I'm actually referring to a blurb from the MPA/ID program and I don't find the same verbage on the MPP site:

Fletcher:

Although The Fletcher School values highly the role of foreign language learning in the international affairs arena, students should understand that there is, unfortunately, little time within The Fletcher School curriculum for students to acquire and/or master a new foreign language. For that reason, we strongly encourage students who are serious about learning a new language to pursue intensive study prior to matriculation and then take advantage of opportunities provided by our cross-registration agreement with Tufts and Harvard to build on their existing foreign language proficiency.

HKS:

We encourage all prospective applicants who lack proficiency in a second language to pursue language study before applying to the Kennedy School. Language coursework does not count towards the number of credits MPA/ID students need to graduate. The few students who do study a foreign language during their time at the Kennedy School do so in addition to their required core courses and electives.

I would absolutely agree that certain programs target people who don't need language classes. I actually have a friend who recently went up to Tufts to look at the Fletcher school and that was the main negative that he came back with: he lived in China for a couple years and still speaks it, but feels rusty. At Tufts, he was told they only allow you to take a very low number of credits in language courses, so you have to audit on top of your coursework--as opposed to the grad school programs I applied to where they leave schedule space for those language courses (I fully acknowledge I am rusty in Japanese, and am actually thinking about taking an entirely different language/regional track).

That being said, people recommend Fletcher and HKS because they are highly renowned programs with distinguished faculty and vibrant alumni networks and brand recognition. You could also talk directly to the admissions office about what they do with lesser-known languages; I would think that if Acholi is an identified regional or national language there would be some sort of allowance made for the fact that they don't have an Acholi department. I can't imagine they would tell someone who knows Xosa or Bahasa Malay to brush up on their high school Spanish because that's what they have a test written for.

As for Americorps, I recognize that there are major variations within the programs--in more direct-service oriented programs like NCCC you may not get the kind of intensive program management training that I received, for example. However, if you have Americorps on your resume that immediately tells the AdCom that you are interested in public service, and have direct experience with communities affected/targeted by public policy. At a public policy program, that's a big bonus.

In the interest of not making you search for the references that I am referring to. I realize now that I'm actually referring to a blurb from the MPA/ID program and I don't find the same verbage on the MPP site:

Fletcher:

Although The Fletcher School values highly the role of foreign language learning in the international affairs arena, students should understand that there is, unfortunately, little time within The Fletcher School curriculum for students to acquire and/or master a new foreign language. For that reason, we strongly encourage students who are serious about learning a new language to pursue intensive study prior to matriculation and then take advantage of opportunities provided by our cross-registration agreement with Tufts and Harvard to build on their existing foreign language proficiency.

HKS:

We encourage all prospective applicants who lack proficiency in a second language to pursue language study before applying to the Kennedy School. Language coursework does not count towards the number of credits MPA/ID students need to graduate. The few students who do study a foreign language during their time at the Kennedy School do so in addition to their required core courses and electives.

But isn't it worth an application. You may not get in, but at least you tried, and if you do, then its a great surprise. A good friend of mine here at the program got rejected from HKS and if you look at his credentials he was a great candidate, high GPA from an Ivy, good GRE scores, worked in the UN for 3 years and spoke 3 languages one with academic fluency and still got rejected. I know this might look discouraging to you, that a person like that could get rejected, but who knows why. The bottom line is that you should at least give it a shot, you have invested heavily in yourself and your studies and you owe it to yourself to try to get into the best school possible (some may disagree with that statement, but the Harvard name is extremely powerful especially in this dire economy). Give it a shot, you got nothing to lose.

From what the OP has said, it sounds like their concern isn't just the admissions process being weighted towards multi-linguals; it's also that the programs don't allocate time for language. So, instead of taking 3 academic courses and one language, he'd be taking 4 academic courses and trying to fit in a language into whatever free schedule space he has. If the schools don't allow more than a minimal number of credits be used for language, you may have to pay extra or audit them and not receive a grade. The language courses may even need to be taken through the Boston Consortium, apparently--which would mean traveling to another campus and complicating scheduling/expense even further.

From what the OP has said, it sounds like their concern isn't just the admissions process being weighted towards multi-linguals; it's also that the programs don't allocate time for language. So, instead of taking 3 academic courses and one language, he'd be taking 4 academic courses and trying to fit in a language into whatever free schedule space he has. If the schools don't allow more than a minimal number of credits be used for language, you may have to pay extra or audit them and not receive a grade. The language courses may even need to be taken through the Boston Consortium, apparently--which would mean traveling to another campus and complicating scheduling/expense even further.

Depending on what language he wants to learn, there are plenty of classes that can be taken in Boston to learn pretty much any desired language he wants to learn. It's true he would have to spend extra 2K a year to learn a language, it would be a drop in the bucket compared to the tuition he is already spending. I guess in any case, you can cross the bridge when you get to it.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, guys! It's true that the marginal cost of another application is pretty minimal at this stage with four SOPs written and most (thanks for nothing, GWU!) application fees waived. It probably does behoove me to make another run through the top ten and make sure I didn't miss anything on my first pass through this spring. GWU was a late add to the bunch based on a second look, so it's a good idea.

That said, I do feel a pretty strong pull to SAIS within the Beltway and WWS if I'm going to go outside of it. This is probably not the time or place to re-ignite the inside v. outside the Beltway, SAIS v. HKS, or WWS v. Fletcher debate though, so I'll just thank everyone for the input and keep my eyes and options open!

And OregonGal's read on my thinking is pretty spot on. I think that Acholi is probably good enough to get me in the door but some schools suggest pretty strongly that they don't suggest budgeting the time to try to master another language while taking on the course load, to say nothing of the money. By contrast, SAIS basically said that it wasn't their preferred option but it wasn't unheard of either. I guess it's really just the severity of the tone from HKS and Fletcher that suggests that they really don't think it's a great idea.

Edited by rheadlee

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and I'm considering applying for graduate school this fall or next spring. I've taken a look at a few IR programs, but I'm really not sure what my chances are for any of them. I'm currently leaning towards an MA in International Affairs/Politics. I graduated in 2009 with a double major in political science and French. As far as relevant work experience goes I think could only truly count on my time as a visa officer at the French Consulate in Boston back in the summer of 2010, so my main concern is that I may not have enough work experience. Given my profile, what types of programs would I be competitive for and what would I need to do to improve my chances at more highly regarded institutions?

Undergraduate institution: Large public school

Undergraduate GPA: 3.49

Undergraduate Majors: Political Science, French

Study Abroad: semester in France

GRE Quantitative Score: 520 (31%)

GRE Verbal Score: 670 (95%)

GRE AW Score: 4.0 (41%)

Took the GRE once in 2009. Didn't do much studying beyond taking one or two practice tests (as you can probably tell).

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 3

Years of Work Experience:

Describe Relevant Work Experience: As I mentioned above I worked during the summer of 2010 as a visa officer at the Consulate General of France in Boston, but that's probably the only relevant experience I can think of. Other than that I worked at Lowe's for a year and a half before the French Consulate and have been working as a sales consultant for a currency exchange company since March 2011.

Languages: Spanish [native], French [advanced/almost native level]

Quant: Precalculus in UG (didn't realize how useful calculus would be now), micro and macroeconomics. Took AP Stats way back in high school (so I'm familiar with it) but don't have college credit since I didn't take the exam.

Strength of SOP: It seems that my lack of relevant work experience will make things difficult for me here.

Strength of LOR: Pretty much any of my French professors would be very good; I'd have a tougher time with my poli sci professors since it's been a few years and I haven't really kept in touch. My current boss would likely be good as well.

That's everything for me. I'm not too confident in my competitiveness despite having a recent MA grad friend urging me to consider getting my master's. He recommended I try applying somewhere in DC due to the networking possibilities there but I'm certainly open to other places (Boston, NYC, etc.).

So what are my chances? Should I try applying as I am or do some other things to improve my “profile” first?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by oshkosh72

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and I'm considering applying for graduate school this fall or next spring. I've taken a look at a few IR programs, but I'm really not sure what my chances are for any of them. I'm currently leaning towards an MA in International Affairs/Politics. I graduated in 2009 with a double major in political science and French. As far as relevant work experience goes I think could only truly count on my time as a visa officer at the French Consulate in Boston back in the summer of 2010, so my main concern is that I may not have enough work experience. Given my profile, what types of programs would I be competitive for and what would I need to do to improve my chances at more highly regarded institutions?

Undergraduate institution: Large public school

Undergraduate GPA: 3.49

Undergraduate Majors: Political Science, French

Study Abroad: semester in France

GRE Quantitative Score: 520 (31%)

GRE Verbal Score: 670 (95%)

GRE AW Score: 4.0 (41%)

Took the GRE once in 2009. Didn't do much studying beyond taking one or two practice tests (as you can probably tell).

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 3

Years of Work Experience:

Describe Relevant Work Experience: As I mentioned above I worked during the summer of 2010 as a visa officer at the Consulate General of France in Boston, but that's probably the only relevant experience I can think of. Other than that I worked at Lowe's for a year and a half before the French Consulate and have been working as a sales consultant for a currency exchange company since March 2011.

Languages: Spanish [native], French [advanced/almost native level]

Quant: Precalculus in UG (didn't realize how useful calculus would be now), micro and macroeconomics. Took AP Stats way back in high school (so I'm familiar with it) but don't have college credit since I didn't take the exam.

Strength of SOP: It seems that my lack of relevant work experience will make things difficult for me here.

Strength of LOR: Pretty much any of my French professors would be very good; I'd have a tougher time with my poli sci professors since it's been a few years and I haven't really kept in touch. My current boss would likely be good as well.

That's everything for me. I'm not too confident in my competitiveness despite having a recent MA grad friend urging me to consider getting my master's. He recommended I try applying somewhere in DC due to the networking possibilities there but I'm certainly open to other places (Boston, NYC, etc.).

So what are my chances? Should I try applying as I am or do some other things to improve my “profile” first?

Thanks in advance.

You should redo the GRE and really study for it, this is something you can control. As for the work opportunities, well its easier said than done to get more IR experience. The real question is, are you living independently and is your job your only source of income, cause if it is, then its hard to quit that and go for an internship, however if you can, do it. Overall, you have a strong shot to get into the programs in DC if you improve your GRE. You have strong language skills, which is always an asset, any chance you have another passport so you could do a year abroad somewhere (again, easier said than done).

You should redo the GRE and really study for it, this is something you can control. As for the work opportunities, well its easier said than done to get more IR experience. The real question is, are you living independently and is your job your only source of income, cause if it is, then its hard to quit that and go for an internship, however if you can, do it. Overall, you have a strong shot to get into the programs in DC if you improve your GRE. You have strong language skills, which is always an asset, any chance you have another passport so you could do a year abroad somewhere (again, easier said than done).

I'm living with my mother and stepfather right now, working part time only. I don't make that much but if I spoke to my mother I just might be able to do an internship of some sort (although it'd probably still be somewhat difficult financially). As for spending a year abroad somewhere I'd certainly be willing to do so, but what would you recommend I do while abroad? Teaching English for a year?

Thanks for the help so far!

• 2 weeks later...

hey, you guys!

looking to study urban and regional sustainable development with a focus on environmental policy/management and i'll probably end up getting a dual degree in urban planning if the school offers it. my job search (even though that's 2, 3, or 4 yrs off) will probably be geared towards environmental mgmt/policy analyst in private sector/ngo on sustainable urban/regional devleopment/projects--perahps in middle- to low-income countries

Schools Applying To: Columbia SIPA (MPA Environmental Science and Policy), NYU Wagner (MPA Public and Nonprofit Management and Policy), USC Sol (MPA), UCLA Luskin (MPP), Washington Evans (MPA), Colorado-Denver SPA (MPA), Michigan--Ann Arbor SNRE MS (Environmental Policy and Planning), Penn MPA/MEnvironmental Studies Dual Degree

Undergraduate institution: a top ivy

Undergraduate GPA: 3.6

Undergraduate Majors: history

Study Abroad: London one semester

GRE Quantitative Score: 160 (84%)

GRE Verbal Score: 170 (99%)

GRE AW Score: 5.0 (87%)

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 4

Years of Relevant Work Experience: 2+

Describe Relevant Work Experience: in third year of Peace Corps working on economic development through agroforestry; third year with a global environment NGO

Languages: local language advanced, French beginner

Quant: none except a couple of required science component courses which i got As in. should i be worried about my lack of quant courses? i'm just kind of hoping they look at my GRE scores and those couple of math heavy science courses. do schools sometimes offer conditional admission, eg. say i need to take a quant course before matriculation? i can handle that but there's not enough time to take a course and get a grade before the app process is over, esp. considering my current location

Strength of SOP: proven dedication to public service through PC, including in low income country; work at the grassroots level of development; outside of this not a lot in the enviro field. probably will be a challenge but think i can tie my disparate public service and enviro experiences into a unified idea but my job directly post undergrad was just retail

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): one history professor; two Peace Corps supervisors

Other: i have some undergrad extracurricular in political involvement but no independent research

so, am i shooting too high with my schools? i'm not expecting $. i'd only consider Penn if i got into the dual degree program because their MPA doesn't fulfill all my interests--the other dual degree schools i'd wait to apply after matriculation. other schools i've overlooked? i'd prefer to stay in an urban area along the coasts (applying to michigan and denver b/c of strong programs) anything else i should be thinking about? i know there are a lot of good mpa enviro programs out there but they often focus on broad, global policy issues and i'd rather keep my focus on urban/regional enviro because i think that would help me strengthen my expertise/specialization and get a job. i know that a lot of MPAs focus on domestic issues if you're not in an int'l specialization and that i might miss out on int'l concerns but i think with my intended job, it's best to keep my academics focused on urban/region because it's easier to translate domestic urban ideas abroad than to miss out on those issues altogether--or am i misguided in this?

i've already been accepted to Columbia's MA program in Climate and Society (no $) but deferred because i extended my Peace Corps service

Probably a bit of Oregon bias showing, but did you look at Portland State? Their College of Urban and Public Affairs is mid-ranked, but the Toulan School of Urban Studies and Planning is top 20 in the nation. Portland is big in sustainability/environmental policy/urban policy/public service and has been since the 1970s, so you'd have plenty of hands-on experiential opportunities while you're there. Also, non-resident cost of attendance is $32-40K depending on how many credits you take. You could probably also get an internship at MercyCorps while you're there--they have their HQ in Portland.

In general, MPA programs will slap a conditional admit on you if you don't have quant/econ experience. That could be to take an econ class before you arrive or participate in their pre-term courses. If you mention plans to take a quant/econ course, or if you're currently enrolled at the admit deadline and can update them after on your final grade, that might be better but I don't think it's a deal-breaker--considering 3/4 of my cohort was remanded to pre-term at my school, I think adcoms are fairly used to it.

Just for reference here.

I noticed some people saying that a person cannot get into a top tier IR school unless they have actual IR experience and went to a tier one undergrad. This is not true at all.

I went to a middle tier undergrad (University of Arizona, not famous but the best school in Arizona), I worked really hard there as an honors student doing psychology research, studied abroad in Central America, followed up with Teach for America, and then taught high school in China. Also, I got a high gpa in undergrad.

These schools, both public policy, IR, and also other professional schools such as law or business, highly value serious work experience and prior achievement.

I got into several Ivy Leagues and also UC Berkeley, including mba and mpa programs.

Therefore, it is possible to get into a tier-one IR or policy school given a non-IR, non tier-one undergrad background.

Awww bless. Your sensitivities are showing through sport.

As to the OP, if you really want to go into IR, build an alternate transcript in IR / quant classes (it may go without saying but you need A's), study hard for the GRE and if you are capable knock it out of the park. This should open up second tier programs like SIS and possibly outlier "1.5" programs like GW.

As to the OP, if you really want to go into IR, build an alternate transcript in IR / quant classes (it may go without saying but you need A's), study hard for the GRE and if you are capable knock it out of the park. This should open up second tier programs like SIS and possibly outlier "1.5" programs like GW.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi- I'm new to the site as well and want to see if I have any chance of getting in or should wait to apply after more work experience:

Schools Applying To: Columbia SIPA (MPA), LSE (MPA International Development)

Undergraduate institution: NYU Stern

Undergraduate GPA: 3.39 (had mono my junior year)

Undergraduate Majors: Finance/International Business

Study Abroad: London

GRE Quantitative Score: 162 (87%)

GRE Verbal Score: 166 (97%)

GRE AW Score: 5.0 (87%)

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 2

Years of Relevant Work Experience: 2 (?)

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Worked in the finance industry as lead analyst with a predominately internationally focused business

Languages: Korean (conversational), French (intermediate)

Quant: Most quant is on the job

Strength of SOP: was on the board of an established non-profit, starting social entrepreneurship company,

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): two finance professors

Other: Essentially trying to switch my career tract from finance to something I'm truly passionate about

So long as you can parlay in your SOP how your WE relates to international development (are you interest in microfinance? How international were the businesses/people you worked with/for?) it sounds like you're set.

So I posted this in another thread without any response, so I'm going to try here.

I haven't applied yet because I am deciding if I really need to take the GRE yet or not since the school I am applying to doesn't require it, but it also can help with admissions. I'm also a vet, so I'm hoping that will help with admissions. I am applying to Penn State University's Online MPA program with a Certificate in Homeland Security and Safety.

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPA w/Certificate in Homeland Security and Safety at Penn State University

Schools Applied To: Penn State University (only school I really like with an online MPA program). USC is kinda expensive and competitive, University of Illinois doesn't have the name recognition of Penn State, and I think with GWU you need 2 years of work experience?

Schools Admitted To: N/A

Schools Rejected From: N/A

Still Waiting: N/A

Undergraduate institution: University of North Florida

Undergraduate GPA: 3.25

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 3.45

Undergraduate Major: Criminal Justice

Minor: Political Science

I also have a Leadership Certificate from a department in my school

Made Dean's list 2x and have had 3-4 scholarships

GRE Quantitative Score: Haven't Taken Yet

GRE Verbal Score: Haven't Taken Yet

GRE AW Score: Haven't Taken Yet

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): Will probably be about 6 months

Years of Work Experience: 5?

Describe Relevant Work Experience:

-I've done 5 years in the Marine Corps Reserve with 13 months on active duty overseas in Afghanistan (OEF).

-I've done a federal internship for 3 months with the US Marshals Service at the federal courthouse

-2 month internship at a law firm

-Was President of a on-campus Student Veterans Association club for 1 semester

-Totalled 12 hours of being a Mentor for an On-Campus Transition group for students with disabilities

-Hoping to have a job in a logistics company in the next few weeks, so that will be something to add

Languages: N/A

Quant: N/A

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): Will be strong, have a lot of leadership experience to talk about. Ive also passed the FBI, Customs and Border Patrol Officer, and possible the DEA Special Agent application tests too for which I am applying to.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): I have one from a former teacher/former ambassador who is running for State Senate in my state of Florida. The other is from my scholarship coordinator and the last is from another department. Should I use all teachers instead of my scholarship coordinator or should I keep her in there as a reference???

Other:

The reason why I don't want to take the GRE is because I have applied to a Virtual Internship with the State Department and if I manage to get it, I need admission to a graduate course by about September. It seems like I may need to be admitted to it by about September and the GRE may take a while to get back and is also costly. I would like to avoid it, but do you think with my GPA that I can get into the online program at Penn State??? I also don't have the amount of "real world" work experience as some of the other applicants, but I do have plenty of military experience and internship experience. Thoughts?

Schools Applying To: Georgetown SSP, perhaps SAIS Security, other similar programs

Undergraduate institution: San Diego State University (grad in 2010)

Undergraduate GPA: 3.7, Magna Cum Laude, (NCAA student-athlete, all 5 honor societies, plethora of student-athlete awards and honors, clubs/orgz, Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Kappa Phi, Mortar Board, etc.) <how heavily are these things weighed?

Undergraduate Majors: Psychology (had research position for 2 years under psych professor)

Study Abroad: none (but going on trip through Europe for 2 months)

GRE Quantitative Score: Haven't taken yet, but I usually do very well on standardized tests, especially in verbal - and of course I am going to study for the GRE before I take it

GRE Verbal Score:

GRE AW Score:

Years of Relevant Work Experience: 2

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Worked in Business Development in Renewable Energy sector (spearheaded this position and doubled the company’s renewable portfolio in under 1 year), worked with dozens of high-profile energy companies/utilities - not sure how to spin this for this degree though, energy security?

Languages: English (native), French (intermediate)

Quant: No econ, but:

-Statistics

-Data Analysis in Psych

-Research Methods

-Also in Social Psych Lab under professor doing research (included data collection analysis, etc.)

Strength of SOP: My writing abilities are strong, but I was thinking of using renewable energy background and doing an SOP geared towards energy/homeland security

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): Should have two great ones from professor whom I did research under (1 academic), and my employer I have worked for for the last 2 years (1 professional, may be able to get another professional one)

Other: I have an obvious lack of experience/background in security, and no formal study abroad. I have a fairly strong undergrad record and good work exp the last 2 years, although it's not 100% relevant. Advice please! Should I go for something more relevant and wait a year or two (AmeriCorps, internships, jobs) or just apply? I know these programs are extremely competitive...The only upside is that these 2 years gave me an idea of what is out there and what I really want to do (not Psych). Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Schools Applying To: NYU Wagner, Baruch (MPA programs for Spring 2013, PT and working FT)

Undergraduate institution: Large public school in NY

Undergraduate GPA: 3.4 with upward trend (up to 3.89)

Undergraduate Majors: Public Policy, Minor in Economics

GRE: did not and will not be taking GRE

Years of Relevant Work Experience: 1.5 yrs. professional experience + several internships in nonprofit/public sector

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Nonprofit development/fundraising, program evaluation and policy analysis. Heavy emphasis on data analysis and management.

Quant: 18 credits in Economics (minor), statistics, computer modeling for decision support (decision analysis, system dynamics), calculus 1, all with at least a B+ grade

Strength of SOP: Good - I think my work history will speak for itself.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): Mixed - 1 professional from my mentor/supervisor who has a Ph.D, was a professor and most importantly, is impressed with my problem solving and thinking outside the box ability. 1 standard academic.

Other: I'm rolling the dice and applying to MPA programs without taking the GRE. Neither NYU nor Baruch require it for someone with my academic and professional history.

Edited by joyk

Previous Schools (Name, type, or tier): Top 20 LAC

Previous Degrees and GPAs: BA, 3.23

GRE Scores (Verbal/Quantitative/Analytical Writing): Haven't taken GRE

Previous Work Experience (Years, Type): 2 years (Non-profit, immigration law office)

Foreign Language Background (if applicable to your program): Spanish (intermediate), Korean (conversational)

Intended Field of Study in Grad School: International Security/Public Policy

Long Term Professional Goals: Federal Government

Schools Applied to: I would appreciate if people recommended schools. I'm thinking of Georgetown, Tufts, U of Denver.

So I just made my first attempt at GRE today - estimated score at end was 164V/159Q [does that headline number ever change or just the percentiles?]. Given the programs I am hoping to apply to this is disappointing to me. For personal reasons I am only considering programs in NYC area at the moment. My profile as of yet is incomplete as a lot of the meat on my application will hopefully be obtained this semester (before submitting apps) and the following semester (to be appended to my apps after submission). Nevertheless, I hope you will be so kind as to offer some thoughts on my profile as it stands, whether I should retake GRE, what else I could do, and what other programs I might consider in NYC with good job prospects post-grad and a skill-set transferable between industries.

Intented/Desired programs:

Columbia Biostats MS/APT (dream program - I would pay for the 1 year as just an MS)

CUNY Grad Center Economics PhD (Mathematical Finance concentration)

MS Statistics/Applied Statistics programs in NYC?? (whatever I can get into)

Current Profile:

School: Large NYS Public uni

Major: Mathematics/Economics

GPA: 3.9

Degrees held: BA Poli Sci (I am currently a returned/2nd bachelors student)

Quant courses: Stats 1 (A), Calc I-III (A, A-, A-), Linear Algebra (A), Abstract Algebra (A), Intermediate Macro/Micro (A/A-)

Soft: AmeriCorps national service, current local volunteer work, etc. No sports or greek.

Grades TBD this semester: DiffyQ, Probability for Stats, 2 CompSci courses (one is object oriented programming/C++...taken with view toward biostats reqs).

Grades TBD Spring semester (I can append the grades to my application at least to Columbia Biostats, the only program with which I inquired): Analysis, Applied Stochastic Processes, Statistics, [other?]

Also, possible Student Assistant (Data Analyst) position coming through this semester (doing mostly SQL/Microsoft Access work, maybe some SAS)

I've done all the quant coursework listed above aside from Stats 1 since Summer 2011 when I returned to school. Yes, you can pretty much flip a coin for me between doing an economics program or a stats/applied stats program - the best I get into is the route I'll take. Assuming I do not retake the GRE or my 2nd attempt is not much improved and also assuming continued A's in the courses this semester, please offer comments/advice on my prospects in NYC. Or even just point me towards programs maybe you considered yourself and merit my looking at. Of course, the big concern which is second only to being located in NYC is that the program be reputable enough to guarantee decent job prospects post-graduation.

Thanks!

Edited by xitsmike

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.S. Business Admin/Minor Econ ( flagship university and long standing member of AAU)

Undergrad GPA: 3.03

Type of Grad: Applied Economics (well known urban research university with several top ranked programs) (Not in Econ though)

Grad GPA: 3.742

GRE: 640Q 520V 4.0 AWA (I know its low, I'm retaking early fall)

Math Courses: Calc I-III (A,B,C+) Linear Algebra (B) Discrete Math (B)

Econ Courses (grad-level):Adv Micro (B) Adv Macro (A) Mathematical Econ (B) Regional Econ (A)

Econmetrics I-II (A, A) Econ Forecasting (A) Econ Theory and Policy (A-) Seminar in Econ Research I-II (A, A) [ Completed all MA coursework with just thesis left ]

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intermediate Micro and Macro (A, A) Principles of Statistics II (A) Issues in Public Economics (B) Issues in Industrial Organizations (B-)

Other Courses: Currently taking two grad courses in my schools Public Policy department, Origins and Development of Policy, Solar and Renewable Energy Utilization. Along with intro to Spanish.

Letters of Recommendation: Presumably all strong. I wasn't a star in the program but did well and had good relations with my professors from my MA program. None of the professors are famous or anything but they are well established and connected in their respective fields.

Research Experience: MA level Thesis. Title of thesis is Solidarity Lending in Microfinance. Focus is on asymmetric information.

Teaching Experience: None

Research Interests: Energy Policy and Environmental, particularly Marine/Coastal Policy, and Social/Development/Poverty Policy

SOP: Will highlight my research interests and what has led to my interest in Public Policy.

Other: Work experience includes 4 years in the Marine Corps Infantry before undergrad. 2 years at a Fortune 500 in the sales and marketing dept after undergrad. Maybe my military experience will be a plus, not sure about my corporate experience. Also I'm well traveled, I've been to 5 different continents and 17 different countries.

Applying to: Oregon State School of PP, University of Washington, Portland State, and not sure where else. I'm from the Northwest so would love to get back there, but I don't know how competitive I'll be. Should I apply to higher ranking schools other than UW? I figure UW would be my reach and since Oregon State has a brand new program thats not even accredited, which would be my safety.

Can you suggest some other schools for me? In other words, is a school like Oregon State about right for me or am I selling myself short?

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this site, and planning on applying for MPP and International Dev programs for Fall 2013. For the most part I know where I plan on applying, but I'm not sure if its worth it for me to apply to top tier programs, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Program Planning on applying to: SIS, Heller, GWU, Georgetown PPI, Wagner, Syracuse, Heinz, Duke, Michigan

Undergraduate institution: State school in the south

Undergraduate GPA: 3.38

Undergraduate Major: Linguistics, German

GRE Quantitative Score: 153

GRE Verbal Score: 161

GRE AW Score: 4.5

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 2.5

Years of Work Experience: 2

Describe Relevant Work Experience:

Received a social justice fellowship to live/work in the middle east for a year, assisted low income communities and worked at a women's rights non-profit while there,

Americorps for a year working in a refugee assistance NGO

Languages:

German - studied abroad in Germany twice, first time for a summer the second time for a year, so its pretty good

Spanish - basic

Portuguese- basic

Quant: Focused on language studies and linguistics in college, so I really havnt taken a quant course since high school

Strength of SOP: Working on them, but my writing skills are one of my strengths!

Letters of recommendation: Professional ones are pretty good, but its been over two years since I was in school, so I'm worried about my academic one being a little weak.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.S. Business Admin/Minor Econ ( flagship university and long standing member of AAU)

Undergrad GPA: 3.03

Type of Grad: Applied Economics (well known urban research university with several top ranked programs) (Not in Econ though)

Grad GPA: 3.742

GRE: 640Q 520V 4.0 AWA (I know its low, I'm retaking early fall)

Math Courses: Calc I-III (A,B,C+) Linear Algebra ( B) Discrete Math ( B)

Econ Courses (grad-level):Adv Micro ( B) Adv Macro (A) Mathematical Econ ( B) Regional Econ (A)

Econmetrics I-II (A, A) Econ Forecasting (A) Econ Theory and Policy (A-) Seminar in Econ Research I-II (A, A) [ Completed all MA coursework with just thesis left ]

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intermediate Micro and Macro (A, A) Principles of Statistics II (A) Issues in Public Economics ( B) Issues in Industrial Organizations (B-)

Other Courses: Currently taking two grad courses in my schools Public Policy department, Origins and Development of Policy, Solar and Renewable Energy Utilization. Along with intro to Spanish.

Letters of Recommendation: Presumably all strong. I wasn't a star in the program but did well and had good relations with my professors from my MA program. None of the professors are famous or anything but they are well established and connected in their respective fields.

Research Experience: MA level Thesis. Title of thesis is Solidarity Lending in Microfinance. Focus is on asymmetric information.

Teaching Experience: None

Research Interests: Energy Policy and Environmental, particularly Marine/Coastal Policy, and Social/Development/Poverty Policy

SOP: Will highlight my research interests and what has led to my interest in Public Policy.

Other: Work experience includes 4 years in the Marine Corps Infantry before undergrad. 2 years at a Fortune 500 in the sales and marketing dept after undergrad. Maybe my military experience will be a plus, not sure about my corporate experience. Also I'm well traveled, I've been to 5 different continents and 17 different countries.

Applying to: Oregon State School of PP, University of Washington, Portland State, and not sure where else. I'm from the Northwest so would love to get back there, but I don't know how competitive I'll be. Should I apply to higher ranking schools other than UW? I figure UW would be my reach and since Oregon State has a brand new program thats not even accredited, which would be my safety.

Can you suggest some other schools for me? In other words, is a school like Oregon State about right for me or am I selling myself short?

Use your Marine Corps background to sell yourself, that and your econ MA. I think you could apply to some top programs.