MS/PhD in Industrial Engineering/Operations Research Fall 2012

ORSMZ

Hello everyone,

I want to apply for MS/PhD program in Industrial Engineering/Operations Research for Fall 2012.

Undergraduate: Top IE school in the middle east

Courses: Probability, Statistics, Operations Research (2 Courses taught by Prof. Katta Murty from Ann Arbor), Production Planning, Quality Control, Simulation, Facilities Planning, Scheduling, Supply Chain Modeling, Stochastic Processes

GPA: 3.91 (Major GPA=3.96)

GRE: Still did not give yet but based on several practice tests, I expect a 750-800 on quantitative, 550-600 on verbal, hard to predict AW

Recommenders: 2 studied from georgia tech, 1 is a professor at ann arbor and studied from UC Berkeley

Research: Analyzed a combinatorial problem in inventory management using heuristics programmed on Matlab and exact methods programmed on GAMS as part of an undergraduate research course

Currently, I have the following universities in my list:

1) MIT ORC (I know it's a long shot)

2) Georgia Tech ISYE

3) UC Berkeley IEOR

4) Stanford MSIE

5) Viriginia Tech

Can you please advise whether I should apply for a MS/PhD option or should I only consider MS in order to maximize my chance of acceptance? Can you also advise on the best number of universities I should apply to in order to get at least one acceptance? What other universities should I add to the list in order to maximize my chance of acceptance based on my qualifications?

Edited by ORSMZ

I am not sure how strong my profile is compared to other applicants for the universities that I'm considering. Anyway, thanks for the compliments @badaos

To torture the cliche, you won't know unless you apply. You would be amazed at what can happen. You have a great profile. I got into my "long-shot grad program", and there is no reason why you wouldn't make an excellent candidate for GT's program IMO.. I know it costs a lot once you figure in transcripts and GRE scores being sent out, but hey, you get 1 shot at your PhD! Make it happen where it'll be the best fit for you. I'll be applying there in a year! Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

My major research interests are in computer science, but I am thinking of applying for OR too. I know little about OR, can you guys evaluate my chance to get into top OR PHD programs. I appreciate your time.

Undergraduate: Top school in Canada.

Major: combined honors in computer science and stats

Courses: one real variable course, Probability, linear algebra, Calculus 1 to 3, stochastic processes, time series and forecasting, multivariate stats, two stats inference(equivalent to grad level courses), algorithm, machine learning and a lot of other computer science courses. A grad computer science courses in database and data mining.

GPA: 3.96/4.33 (Major GPA=4.19/4.33)

GRE: Q800 V700 A4

Recommendation letter: 2 profs from computer science, both supervised me on research. I guess both letters will be strong(at least one will be very strong). I do not know the third letter, but it will be a do well in class letter.

Research: two years experience, full time in summers, funded by NSERC. Two projects on database. Two projects on data mining, mining information propagation on social networks. All my papers are rejected. So no papers.

I guess my data mining projects are related to OR.

I will apply for a lot of cs schools. But I guess I have no chance to get into stanford cs phd program, I am really interested in startups, so I really like Stanford. Do you guys know whether I have chance to get into its mse phd program? I am also planing to apply for UCB IEOR, how do you think of my chance there?

I think one major problem is that my background is from CS not OR, will that affect my application a lot?

Thank you very much.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

This thread seems to be less active than last year's one... Here are my stats:

Undergraduate: Toronto

Major: Math & Stats

Courses: A lot of Stats (incl. some grad courses), quite a bit of math (incl real analysis, PDEs), econometrics, a few electives

GPA: 3.99

GRE: Q800 V700 A5

Recommendation letter: 3 profs, all supervised research

Research: two summers, one during term... got some nice interesting results. No papers though, 2 in progress... Is that bad?

Industry experience: a bit, pretty relevant, will have total of about a year by September

Awards: IMO, Putnam (hm last yr)

Applying to:

MIT OR

Columbia OR

Cornell OR

Harvard Stats

Edited by rem

This thread seems to be less active than last year's one... Here are my stats:

Undergraduate: Toronto

Major: Math & Stats

Courses: A lot of Stats (incl. some grad courses), quite a bit of math (incl real analysis, PDEs), econometrics, a few electives

GPA: 3.99

GRE: Q800 V700 A5

Recommendation letter: 3 profs, all supervised research

Research: two summers, one during term... got some nice interesting results. No papers though, 2 in progress... Is that bad?

Industry experience: a bit, pretty relevant, will have total of about a year by September

Awards: IMO, Putnam (hm last yr)

Applying to:

MIT OR

Columbia OR

Cornell OR

Harvard Stats

I've seen your name in IMO and Putnam competitions. Small world.

anyone know the IE program in Columbia? Cause I found over 200 students were admitted in the OR program.....What about IE? Is it much smaller than OR? I am a new applicant from HK. Hi everybody....................

anyone know the IE program in Columbia? Cause I found over 200 students were admitted in the OR program.....What about IE? Is it much smaller than OR? I am a new applicant from HK. Hi everybody....................

I thought they are both similar in size? How did you find out about the '200 students were admitted' thing?

PS. Glad to see more IEOR applicants! Seems like all the top programs haven't sent out offers yet.

A lot of schools have posted results for their PhD program. I hope you all received good news!

Was encouraged by profs. to apply for PhD programs but I felt that my background isn't strong enough. Also, I am not really sure that I want to pursue academia so I applied to only Masters.

Undergraduate: Large State School

Majors: Math & Econ.

Courses: Lots of math including graduate stats. courses; lots of econ. including econometrics and game theory

GPA: 3.9/4.0

GRE: -redacted- for anonymity (90+ percentile for Q, V and AW)

Recommendation: 3 professors who knows me well (2 are research advisers)

Research: Senior thesis, conference presentations, and some projects here and there; no publications

Industry: Interned for NASA; Intern experience in financial engineering (2+ yrs.)

Misc.: Received competitive national fellowship; domestic student from U.S.

Programs (All MS):

Stanford MS&E

Columbia MSOR

UVa SE

UMich IE

UNC INSTORE

UIUC IE

GaTech IE

ASU IE

OSU IE

PSU IE

NCSU IE - Accepted

Hello for everybody,

I want to apply for MS program in Industrial Engineering/Operations Research for Fall 2012.

Undergraduate: the leading Russian Technical University in Telecommunication.

Related Courses: Discrete Mathematics, Probability, Statistics, Quequeing theory, Markov chains.

GPA: 3.92.

GRE: Q: 160, V: 150, AW: 4.

TOEFL: 101

Work Experience: Accenture - Operational Improvement Group (MC consulting) - experience in production planning, maintenance and realibility, capital project management.

Recommenders: 1 from a professor, 2 from senior managers from Accenture.

Publications: 2 articles (one about production scheduling and one related to telecommunication), but not recognized magazines.

Currently, I have the following universities in my list:

1) Columbia IEOR

2) LSE Master in Management Science (ex - Operations Research)

2) NCSU

3) University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

4) USC

What do you think about my chances?

Thanks!

Edited by KKirill

KKirill, your profile looks great, especially with the two publications! Btw, my father works for Accenture also in a different group, haha.

Have you heard back from anywhere yet? NCSU replied super early for me (2nd week of January) which was weird. Just found out I didn't get into GaTech today. :(

Edited by AwesomeAlgorithm

Another question for AwesomeAlgorithm,

Seems like you are a pretty strong candidate. Did you have to send proof of financial support as a domestic student? Wondering if they received my documentation? :S

I'm international tho.

Thanks in advance and Good Luck for your other applications...

Hi AwesomeAlgoritm,

I've just submitted to Columbia and USC, and finalizing my application for NCSU.

Btw, could you please advice me which one is more recongnizable, in your opinion, USC or NCSU (from internal USA perspective)?

Good luck!

I think that depends on what region of the U.S. you're from. As someone from the west coast, I think USC is more recognizable in terms of engineering.

Another question for AwesomeAlgorithm,

Seems like you are a pretty strong candidate. Did you have to send proof of financial support as a domestic student? Wondering if they received my documentation? :S

I'm international tho.

Thanks in advance and Good Luck for your other applications...

I did not have to have to send any proof of financial support. You should contact the coordinator to make sure those are in if you don't see an update. It might take a while though.

I think that depends on what region of the U.S. you're from. As someone from the west coast, I think USC is more recognizable in terms of engineering.

I did not have to have to send any proof of financial support. You should contact the coordinator to make sure those are in if you don't see an update. It might take a while though.

Hello,

Just one problem - I am not from the US))

I have just Columbia, USC, NCSU and Chapel Hill in my list, so Columbia is clearly on top, but I would like also to collect more information about the others.

Edited by KKirill

Hello,

Just one problem - I am not from the US))

I have just Columbia, USC, NCSU and Chapel Hill in my list, so Columbia is clearly on top, but I would like also to collect more information about the others.

I was aware you're international. What I meant was that people here, in general, in have differing perception of prestige depending on where they live in. So someone like me who lives in California might not know much about NCSU but have heard great things about USC.

I also applied to Columbia but I've heard mixed feelings about the program there from other forums. I haven't really thought about what schools I would prefer over the other yet I guess. I think I will wait till I get all the decisions to then decide.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello OR/IE Men/Women.

Undergraduate: Good Math school in Iran

Graduate: Good IE school in Iran

GPA: 3.48 (Undergrad - Applied Math), 3.74 (Grad - Systems Engineering)

GRE: V. 147 (36%), Q. 166 (94%), AW. 4 (48%)

Toefl iBT: 101

Recoms: Strong from infamous profs

Research: 4 oral presentations in intl. conferences, 1 paper invited for submission to a journal (IF = 3.9), 1 other journal paper in preparation

Currently, I have the following universities in my list (all PhD):

1) Georgia Tech IE (very long shot)

2) Carnegie Mellon University EPP (long shot)

3) U of Toronto IE

4) NCSU IE

5) U of Florida IE

6) Texas - Austin IE

7) Boston University SE

8) Clemson University IE

9) Hong Kong U of Science & Tech IE (+fellowship)

I think my chances for getting admission with full funding from my choices are not that high. What do you think?

Good luck for every applicant.

Edited by babakbk