MS/PhD in Industrial Engineering/Operations Research Fall 2012

ORSMZ

@Mayuresh Madbhavi: I also got into UW. It is one of my safety schools. The school itself is internationally pretty recognized, but is not really famous for IE. Its ranked number 29 in engineering in the US News Engineering Grad School ranking. Moreover the undergraduate selectivity is very low; They accept 60% of all undergraduates, instead of 10% in Stanford or 25% in Berkeley. So the overall reputation when Americans think of UW is not so strong. So if you wanna work in the US afterwards its maybe less strong then when you think going back to your country.

Hi ISEngineer, you seem to know a lot about IE. May I ask you one questions: I got into the master's program of IE in Rutgers and I would like to find a job after that. I'm still waiting for other schools. But I would love to hear more opinions. So what do you know about this program in Rutgers? Thank you in advance. :)

@harryaddict: It really depends on what you want to do and in which business area you want to work. IE is ranked 22nd in US News, so I would say Tier2-3 in that area. However Rutgers is really close to Manhattan and Manhattan has many jobs, which is definitely a plus. If you want to work in top notch consulting, Rutgers would not be a good choice, if you are aiming for some finance related job, it probably is. If I were you, I would go to linkedin and search for alumni and what they do and then you can figure out if it would make you happy when you got those jobs.

@harryaddict: It really depends on what you want to do and in which business area you want to work. IE is ranked 22nd in US News, so I would say Tier2-3 in that area. However Rutgers is really close to Manhattan and Manhattan has many jobs, which is definitely a plus. If you want to work in top notch consulting, Rutgers would not be a good choice, if you are aiming for some finance related job, it probably is. If I were you, I would go to linkedin and search for alumni and what they do and then you can figure out if it would make you happy when you got those jobs.

Thank you a lot, ISEngineer. :)

Anyone received a decision from Virginia Tech or Georgia Tech?

Yo, I got an acceptance posted on the website and then an email roughly an hour later for the Virginia Tech MSIE program. Any thoughts? I see this as a safe school more than anything else. They were apparently ranked #4 in USNews for IE.

How does Virginia Tech IE compare with Georgia Tech IE? Also do you guys know much about the MIT Manufacturing degree??

Yo, I got an acceptance posted on the website and then an email roughly an hour later for the Virginia Tech MSIE program. Any thoughts? I see this as a safe school more than anything else. They were apparently ranked #4 in USNews for IE.

How does Virginia Tech IE compare with Georgia Tech IE? Also do you guys know much about the MIT Manufacturing degree??

Actually the new rankings are out and virginia tech is number 3 now (same rank as berkeley and northwestern and ahead of stanford). You can check it out on http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-engineering-schools/industrial-engineering-rankings.

From what I heard, virginia tech is strong in human factors (world renowned professors) and manufacturing. Georgia tech's strength lies in operations research (world renowned professors), manufacturing and supply chains.

I don't know a lot about MIT's manufacturing degree but I think it is one of the best. I visited the ESD department of MIT last year and there seems to be a lot of industry projects relating to manufacturing & supply chains and therefore they have more funding. The ESD department has a very close collaboration with the Mechanical Eng department and I guess that gives them an edge

hi guys, just curious, if I were to apply for an OR PhD in a US university, say Columbia, do I have to submit a research proposal? Or is it sufficient to outline your research interests in the personal statement?

I'm asking because a friend of mine who applied for PhD statistics in Oxford, Cambridge, and UToronto mentioned that he had to submit a research proposal. I'm wondering if the same holds for American universities. For one, I don't have a specific research problem in mind! Perhaps the 1 year coursework would help.

@Armeet Deshmukh: MS or PhD? You definitely will have to decide between sun (ASU) and rain (UW)! When it comes to rankings, I would decide on US News when it comes to Masters, and based on phds.org when it comes to Phds.

@farhan: Michigan is a great school, ranked #2 by US News. You should go.

Between UW and ASU, I would definitely go for UW. I looked a bit more into the program, and it seems that they have great Professors and very low acceptance rates. The University of Washington itself is internationally very recognized and a Top 20 university in the world. ASU is famous as a party school on the other hand, but I know they are doing well in IE. I guess UW is not ranked as high, as it has a very small department (which could be a big benefit as well), but everything they do looks great to me. As an Industrial Engineer you might also take some statistics classes and UW has one of the most prestigious statistic departments in the country. I decided for Georgia Tech finally but was accepted to UW as well, and now that I started to look more into detail, I definitely feel that I should have given UW more thought, especially because they would have given me also some funding.

Edited by ISEngineer

Major recruiters from UW would be Boeing, Amazon, Microsoft, Google, Starbucks, Expedia, KPMG, Ernst & Young, PwC, Intel.

ASU has Intel, Bank of America, BP, Honeywell, Banner Health and Target.

Depends what you would like to work. ASU places you mainly in Arizona, UW in Seattle, San Francisco, New York and Los Angeles.

Hello Everybody!

I've got an acceptance in Columbia for the MSc in Operations Research. What do you think about this program? I've heard some controversial opinions about them and their places in rankings are not very high.

I have to choose among Columbia, NCSU, PennState, Virginia.

I am an international student, so the brand of Columbia, certainly, is the most famous. But, what's about other criterias?

• 1 month later...

Hi.

I have admission offers from LSE and NCSU for MS Operations Research. However, I am not able to choose between the two. Can you guys please compare the two in terms of:

job prospects (I am Asian)

academic standards

research prospects

Thanks in advance.

Hi.

I have admission offers from LSE and NCSU for MS Operations Research. However, I am not able to choose between the two. Can you guys please compare the two in terms of:

job prospects (I am Asian)

academic standards

research prospects

Thanks in advance.

LSE all the way. Your network will be much stronger.