New Haven, CT

Guest Rons

On 2/7/2021 at 7:02 PM, Rexrex said:

Gotta say this is freaking me out a little bit. https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/1-dead-after-shooting-in-new-haven/2416896/

This was a Yale grad student. So sad. 

As an Asian-American, I admit that hate crimes are happening everywhere now- https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/26/us/hate-crime-stabbing-attack-asian-man-new-york/index.html

On 2/26/2021 at 11:57 PM, SocialKonstruct said:

As an Asian-American, I admit that hate crimes are happening everywhere now- https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/26/us/hate-crime-stabbing-attack-asian-man-new-york/index.html

While true, the case mentioned by Rexrex seemed to be more of some murderous love triangle between Asian students than a hate crime, like what you're bringing into it. In any case, the area of New Haven by the Green and the Yale campus is generally safer than the rest of the city, though muggings and the like are not unheard of.

9 minutes ago, Cromwell said:

While true, the case mentioned by Rexrex seemed to be more of some murderous love triangle between Asian students than a hate crime, like what you're bringing into it. In any case, the area of New Haven by the Green and the Yale campus is generally safer than the rest of the city, though muggings and the like are not unheard of.

Yes but hate crimes can be broadly extended to crimes even between Asian-Americans. Racism happens in my Taiwanese culture such as my mom's dislike of Koreans etc. Or the tension between Japanese-Chinese. Even a love triangle can be motivated by hate too.

3 hours ago, SocialKonstruct said:

Yes but hate crimes can be broadly extended to crimes even between Asian-Americans. Racism happens in my Taiwanese culture such as my mom's dislike of Koreans etc. Or the tension between Japanese-Chinese. Even a love triangle can be motivated by hate too.

Certainly, it's tricky territory to navigate, and far more complicated than I presented it. Hopefully the details of that case come to light and that the present moment of hateful violence nationwide will not persist. It's just that, while I don't particularly like New Haven and it does have some rough edges, I don't want others to think it's a particularly hateful place on account of a murky shooting case that may be better explained by other factors.

59 minutes ago, Cromwell said:

Certainly, it's tricky territory to navigate, and far more complicated than I presented it. Hopefully the details of that case come to light and that the present moment of hateful violence nationwide will not persist. It's just that, while I don't particularly like New Haven and it does have some rough edges, I don't want others to think it's a particularly hateful place on account of a murky shooting case that may be better explained by other factors.

I actually loved New Haven quite a bit. I enjoyed it better than Philadelphia. For me, I lived on Foster Street back in 2000-2001 and had no issues there.

• 2 months later...

The Yale homicide was not a hate crime. It was a love triangle. The victim and the murderer were both East Asian. The victim was engaged to a White woman and the murderer (who previously knew the woman) was jealous. 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad