Chemistry Fall 2009

cammarp

Accepted: Berkeley, Yale, Wisconsin, Michigan

Any thoughts on what to wear to the recruiting visits? Thanks.

When are you visiting Berkeley and Michigan, and which division are you going into? I have no clue what to wear either...

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no clue what to wear either...

Well, I don't know if she'll reply, but I emailed my sister to ask. She was accepted to a number of theoretical chemistry programs back in Fall '00 (Berkeley, Caltech, UCLA...) and visited them all so I bet she would know. Even if she wore the wrong things, she'd probably remember what everyone else wore. :D

The answer....

"Jeans and a t-shirt is fine. If you want to be really suave, black slacks and a button-down shirt. It's chemistry grad school. Everyone you meet is going to be going into labs, and you don't want to feel overdressed by them too much. Wear what you'd wear on a regular day going into work, and you'll be fine."

I'd decided earlier on black slacks and a button-down shirt, so I guess I wasn't too far off the mark.

Are you california residence... when did you hear back from Berkeley

I am curious about this too. I'm quite anxious to hear back from Berkeley.

Also duncan, I've gotten into Penn, Penn State and Cornell and am waiting for MIT, Berkeley and Columbia. I also strongly considered applying to the other schools you applied to. Are you into materials and analytical, by chance?

Also duncan, I've gotten into Penn, Penn State and Cornell and am waiting for MIT, Berkeley and Columbia. I also strongly considered applying to the other schools you applied to. Are you into materials and analytical, by chance?

Actually, yeah, I'm curious about Berkeley too. I got into my first choice, MIT, but I just want to see for closure reasons.

Could everyone please post how they heard from these schools?

Here is my yuster profile: http://www.yuster.com/school/profile/ishyesh

Yes, I'm going to do materials, nanomaterials or solid state in particular. I'm still waiting for MIT, Berkeley and Harvard. I got an email from a professor from Columbia who I put down as my potential advisor. He said he wanted me to work for him. I think I have a chance there.

Btw, Do you visit Penn State on 27th of Feb, Penn on 15th of March and Cornell on 27th of March? We may see each other a lot.

ishyesh, what do your stats look like? I applied to a couple of overlapping schools but have not heard from them yet.

Um...for numbers, which I don't think are that crucial, GRE: 800 Math, 540 Verbal, 5.0 Writing, GRE Chemistry: 870, Overall GPA: 3.6, Concentration GPA: ~3.85.

For research, I've been doing Scientific research for the past five years. First year (school) was biological, next three (school) were physical chemistry (first author publication, patent, copyright), and now I work in a company doing organic chemistry research and drug development. I went to a school of moderate reputation, but one that is well known. But I think I have four killer recommendation letters though.

If you didn't get word yet, don't worry about it. Most of these are rolling, and my view on all this is, if you don't get in, they're the ones missing out on someone fantastic. :)

My applications are finally complete and now I'm just waiting...haven't heard anything yet. I'm applying for organic at Colorado State, SUNY Buffalo, Syracuse, UofHouston, IUPUI, and UofNevada-Reno. What do you think: overall GPA-3.25, chemistry-3.3, GRE Q 760 V 420 A 4.0, year of research with well known prof., domestic student, 2 very good letters. Anyone admitted with similar stats and what is your opinion?

Thanks

My applications are finally complete and now I'm just waiting...haven't heard anything yet. I'm applying for organic at Colorado State, SUNY Buffalo, Syracuse, UofHouston, IUPUI, and UofNevada-Reno. What do you think: overall GPA-3.25, chemistry-3.3, GRE Q 760 V 420 A 4.0, year of research with well known prof., domestic student, 2 very good letters. Anyone admitted with similar stats and what is your opinion?

Thanks

I went to UB for undergrad. If your letters are really good, I think you have a chance there.

So can anyone tell me how rolling admissions work? I understand that they review applications as they are received, but what does this mean for those who apply close to or even after the deadline? I submitted most of my applications (Columbia, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Princeton) one day before or right on the deadline, and it would be good to know that I am not at a disadvantage for this reason.

So can anyone tell me how rolling admissions work? I understand that they review applications as they are received, but what does this mean for those who apply close to or even after the deadline? I submitted most of my applications (Columbia, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Princeton) one day before or right on the deadline, and it would be good to know that I am not at a disadvantage for this reason.

In rolling admissions, the committee picks the first, say 100 applications, and then decides, then moves onto next 100 keeping some they were on the fence about. I applied pretty much applied to all my places week before December 15. In medical school decisions, yes, applying late is a disadvantage, but I can't comment on Chemistry ones.

If you haven't heard back, call them and ask when you will know. But you should know before end of February if you got in or not. Never hurts to call.

i'll be visiting during these weekends:

USC - 2/20

Notre Dame - 2/27

UCSD - 3/06

GA Tech - 3/13

I was going to visit USC on 3/27 but I haven't heard from Duke and Berkeley so I want some calendar space in case I get into either or both of them. Hope to meet some of you if you're going on these weekends to any of the same schools!

I was invited to NYU, for the 27th and 28th of February. I hate to ask this of you people, but does the e-mail sound like one of those "you're basically in" e-mails?

Dear Chem09,

I am writing to invite you to the New York University Department of Chemistry Prospective Graduate Student Visiting Day. It will be held on Friday, February 27, 2009 beginning at 9:30. Our Visiting Day is an opportunity for a group of select Ph.D applicants to visit the Department, meet with our faculty members, talk with our graduate students, and tour our facilities. Your application has been reviewed by the admissions committee and we hope very much to meet you.

We will cover travel expenses, including transportation and dorm-style accommodations. I will be in contact with you individually about specific arrangements. There will be on-campus activities all day Friday, to acquaint you with our program, and social activities that evening and during the day on Saturday the 28th. If you are unable to attend on February 27, we would be glad to have you visit on another day at your convenience.

Please R.S.V.P. for this event as soon as possible, preferably by February 11.

Sincerely, etc.

The attachment outlined the two new faculty NYU has picked up, and who will begin in summer.

I got one of those too. I think you're pretty much in, as long as you don't do something unspeakable at the open house, like show up naked. I unfortunately already agreed to go to another open house that weekend :o Hopefully they let me visit another day.