Boren 2012-2013

DanielJones

Monica -

I totally understand! The family aspect was one that I struggled with the most. My kids are excited about going, but my oldest is sad about missing basketball season (travel and school team), and my youngest is sad about that as well. As long as I can get my girls involved while abroad, all will be well (mostly sports). My husband wasn't initially going to come with me, but I am trying to convince him, at least while me and the girls get settled!

This is going to be an amazing experience! I just hope everything stays calm in Jordan and that plans remain intact!

Talk soon!

So I know we have a week or two more until we hear about who got the follow up email. Thought I'd ask your advice. How flexible do you think the Boren is in terms of sizing down the grant? I applied for funding for a 6 month grant but I recently learned I'm preggers (yay!) so will only be able to use three months of funding since I'm leaving soon (my proposal was multiple trips to a country)

So I know we have a week or two more until we hear about who got the follow up email. Thought I'd ask your advice. How flexible do you think the Boren is in terms of sizing down the grant? I applied for funding for a 6 month grant but I recently learned I'm preggers (yay!) so will only be able to use three months of funding since I'm leaving soon (my proposal was multiple trips to a country)

First off, congratulations! To answer your question, the Boren's preference goes towards:

• Study abroad for a longer period of time. To encourage greater language and cultural immersion, preference is given to applicants proposing a full academic year, or at least two consecutive semesters, of study abroad. Applicants planning to go abroad for only one semester are encouraged to lengthen their time abroad by adding a summer before their fall semester.

I would assume they won't like a shorter studying duration, but that would ultimately mean they'll save money. So I think it'll be up in the air until we get those e-mails and confirmations of our scholarships.

Frankly, I've never met any Boren scholar who has gotten a six month grant. Usually they go for year grants only.

Frankly, I've never met any Boren scholar who has gotten a six month grant. Usually they go for year grants only.

Huh. I could have sworn when I read materials they said 12 week minimum up to one year, with a preference for those trips that are longer in comparison (which I had read as in longer than the minimum not necessarily one year).

Thanks Kbui!

Really? Thank god because I applied for 9 months. I'm actually attaching an additional summer in front of the 9 months (with funding from another program, MAYBE), so I hope they'll favor my dedication to the language.

I was told that they give preference to applicants who are applying to stay 6 months or longer - Shorter proposals are more common among science/math majors I believe.

I applied for an academic school year.

Really? Thank god because I applied for 9 months. I'm actually attaching an additional summer in front of the 9 months (with funding from another program, MAYBE), so I hope they'll favor my dedication to the language.

I'm in a similar position. I applied for 6 months of funded research but I'll actually be spending 3 months there beforehand, so I hoped that would be taken into account

I mean, technically, they allow it, and if you're a STEM major or have something else very unique to you, then you've a good shot, but generally, they go for longer periods of time.

They just look for people who want to learn the language above all else, and of course 3-6-9 months are all very different in terms of learning a language.

They just look for people who want to learn the language above all else, and of course 3-6-9 months are all very different in terms of learning a language.

True, but I wonder how the national security element is played into it since my project is very relevant to national security (or so says my dod husband who urged me to apply!)...I guess we'll see soon!

I mean, technically, they allow it, and if you're a STEM major or have something else very unique to you, then you've a good shot, but generally, they go for longer periods of time.

Boren is so nice when I talked to them on the phone. The lady on the other line made it seem like no big deal that I'm applying. Maybe that's because she's already seen so many applicants that she's desensitized to the intensity of the process, haha. Hopefully, like StephanieM suggests, my STEM major background and longer period of study will be in favor for the Boren judges.

China is the most competitive country, but I don't know if Taiwan is grouped in it or not... since that's a whole international relations question.

True, but I wonder how the national security element is played into it since my project is very relevant to national security (or so says my dod husband who urged me to apply!)...I guess we'll see soon!

I think it's it's equally as important as language. For example, a lit major who's studying a critical language X at a more advanced may have a 60% chance of getting it, but someone who's studying something more easily relevant to national security and make a killer essay and studying X language at a basic level will have a higher chance of getting it. I'm speaking only of my experience though, with the other Boren scholars in Russia. I don't know how it is for other countries.

And yeah, the people working there are amazing. Incredibly supportive and professional throughout the entire process.

Not yet, but I checked on the Illinois Fellowship website and they said their students received emails around March 23rd last year. I'm just relaxed now, since I know it's totally out of my hands.

Not yet, but I checked on the Illinois Fellowship website and they said their students received emails around March 23rd last year. I'm just relaxed now, since I know it's totally out of my hands.

I wonder if they send it out on a rolling basis, rather than all at once, since many said "late" March in last year's thread but I also specifically remember someone saying they got it on March 18

I'm too much of an A personality for relaxation to be any part of my vocabulary. I can not see myself relaxing until about July when all scholarships I applied for are awarded. I wasn't even for sure going to have third year paid for this summer, but got that worked out as well. Been working way too hard for too long to be able to relax. Even with the Boren Scholarship, I would be a little short, but just got a scholarship at my home institution that will cover the difference through the Honor Society. If I don't get the Boren, I'll just have to count on the universe figuring out a way to take care of me!

Monica - I may be relaxing partly because I am leaving for 16 days (vacation) to Mexico, so I am getting everything in order for that. If I was not preparing for that trip I would most likely be obsessing over my scholarships more lol

But you are right, I will be much more relaxed come July when all scholarships have been awarded!!