Fall 2012

cefran

Hi everyone!

I thought I would start a thread for Fall 2012.

Come here to discuss what schools you're applying to and anything relating to the application process!

I'm planning/thinking of applying to:

Simmons College

Catholic University of America

Pratt Institute

University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee/Madison (???)

Maybe University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, University of Washington, and Syracuse.

I'm interesting in digital libraries and rare books/manuscripts and their digitization.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Alaina!

I'm thinking of apply to:

University of South Carolina

University of Alabama

Pratt Institute

St. John's University

Long Island University

and possibly Simmons College

I think I may want to specialize in digital libraries or archives, but I'm not sure.

I would like to go to a school in New York, but thinking financially, South Carolina with its in-state tuition is probably most likely.

You're lucky you've got the possibility for in-state tuition! I'm from New Hampshire; we only have tuition remission agreements with University of Rhode Island and Southern Connecticut University, and I don't want to go either of those.

I really want to be in New York too because of all the internship opportunities, but financially it would be difficult unless they give me really, really good financial aid.

Hey all!

I'm thinking of applying to (in no particular order):

University of Texas at Austin

UNC Chapel Hill

Catholic University

Simmons

FSU

and possibly University of Washington?

Probably too many, I know, but as of right now it's hard to decide...there are so many great programs out there!

I'm interested in archives, and specifically hope to work in a government or special library archive when I graduate.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello!

I submitted applications to:

University of Texas at Austin

University of Maryland, College Park

University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill

Simmons College

It seems a lot of us have chosen similar programs. I've been scouring the internet trying to figure out when they sent out acceptance information but no luck yet (I submitted all of my applications as early as I could). Has anyone heard about when they let us know? I figure it's in March sometime but I would love to find out earlier. I took two years off from school after receiving my undergraduate degree and the sooner I know, the better for my current job. If anyone can shed any light on the subject that would be great.

Also, did anyone apply for the dual degree program at Simmons? It sounds fantastic! I'm very interested in archives and getting a second masters degree in history seems ideal.

• 1 month later...

I heard from UT Austin today. Apparently the department is recommending me for admission. Does anyone know what that really means? My admission check page still says "under review".

It's stressful because I only have 30 days to notify them to hold my spot! I have four more schools to hear from...

I'm applying to Valdosta State University for Fall 2012. If no luck there I will apply to SJSU and Wayne State for Fall 2013. My criteria are fully online, available part-time and in-state tuition for all, since I live in Canada. University of Alabama looked great too but you have to go through their program full time as part of a cohort and I have small children so I would prefer part time.

University of Illinois and University of Toronto for me, in that order. Mainly funding reasons - I get in-state tuition for Illinois. If I got full funding for Toronto (ha! in my dreams) it would be really hard for me to choose between them.

I'm feeling really thankful that I have a fair amount of library experience under my belt. I'm hoping that supplements my GPA and gets me into at least one of those schools. I found writing my personal statement to be difficult...how to show that I have knowledge of the field without telling the committee what they already know?

Whoa - seriously was not expecting this, but I got my acceptance to University of Illinois today! I thought it would be next week at the earliest, and more likely in March. I didn't get my last letter of recommendation in until the deadline date. It isn't the "official" admission notice, but considering I have the option to accept it or reject it right now, I'm not worrying about it.

I am so super excited that I'm bouncing around!

I have applied to the master's of library science programs at UW-Madison, UW-Milwaukee, St. Catherine University, and Dominican University. I'm supposed to hear back in March or April--which at this point seems very far in the future! I am hoping to get substantial funding, as I have no savings. My top choice of school is currently UW-Madison.

Has anyone else applied to library science programs in the Midwest?

LindsayLiz - would you mind sharing how long after San Jose received your application/documents they let you know their decision? Their website says 6 to 8 weeks but I'm wondering if it really takes that long... my transcript should get to them this week sometime.

littlewing... it took about two weeks. I only had to send two transcripts and they got there pretty quickly. I think it was about three weeks between applying and hearing from them. And they notified via email... so much better than snail mail.