take a gamble: predict your own outcome!

frankdux

1 Acceptance - Korbel School of International Studies at the University of Denver

1 Waiting - Fletcher School of Diplomacy at Tufts University

I only applied to these two schools and I'll be happy to go to DU if I don't get into Fletcher - if I do get into Fletcher I'll have a hell of a time deciding!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My initial predictions:

Admitted:

OSU, with funding

UC Irvine, with no funding

UBC, admitted with funding (OPTIMISTIC)

Waitlisted:

UMinn

Rejected:

UW

UBC (PESSIMISTIC)

Actual so far:

Admitted:

UMinn, no funding

UC Irvine, no funding

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

UW

Unknown:

UBC, OSU.

No funding yet, and I"m praying that either UBC or OSU comes through for me...

"You know the lotto billboards up along the highway? They'll say like 'estimated lotto jackpot, $55 million'.. see I didn't know that sh^t was estimated. That would suck if you won, and you go to get your money and they're like 'Oh sorry we were off by two zeros... We estimate that you are angry!!'" dashMitch Hedberg

Oh jeez.... This is bad.

I am a bit superstitious, but I've been thinking about this over and over and eh, what the heck, I might as well put it up on the net where everyone can see it! :lol:

Acceptances:

1 fully funded that I won't want to go to

3 partially funded

Rejections:

If this sounds cocky, its cause I applied to 2 masters programs as well as the PhDs... so I guess I am cocky. So sue me.

Broke, broken and alone, sitting at a window at a third-rate assisted living facility gazing out over the slum and grumbling about the state of the world until I finally wither into death in a puddle of my own drool.

honestly this is probably how my life will pan out even with a phd

I really should have applied to more schools. I'm going to be optimistic and have to guess...

Accepted: 2 (Akron and W&M)

Wait listed: 1 (UVa)

Rejected: 1 (because Miami is fickle and unreasonable)

I don't expect funding, but I can live with that. Out-of-state tuition in Virginia is about equal to in-state in Ohio.

I love this thread! it's the first one that's inspired me to post rather than lurk.

I applied to 13 schools:

I say

accepted: 2

waitlisted: 3

rejected: 8

so far: accepted 2, waitlisted 1, rejected 2.

I consider this optimistic. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it were rejections from here on out. Good luck everyone!

I really should have applied to more schools. I'm going to be optimistic and have to guess...

Accepted: 2 (Akron and W&M)

Wait listed: 1 (UVa)

Rejected: 1 (because Miami is fickle and unreasonable)

I don't expect funding, but I can live with that. Out-of-state tuition in Virginia is about equal to in-state in Ohio.

Just had to give a shout out to W&M. I'm finishing my undergrad at W&M right now. I don't know much about the education program here (I'm told it's quite good), but it's a wonderful school. So good choice! :)

Optimistic:

1 wait-list with unknown outcome

2 rejections

Pessimistic aka Realistic:

3 rejections

This goes back to something people were saying earlier on in this thread... I have a really weird, spotty background. Undergrad in an unrelated field at a top 10 (in the world) school. Professionally-focused MJ in Journalism at a school that is respected in my country but not well-known internationally (but could be within journalism circles -- I just don't know). Between the two degrees I had a series of volunteer and intern positions and freelance work at prestigious publications, but only full-time job was in a crappy position that was almost as much PR as journalism (if not more). Now applying to three programs in a third field (albeit related to Journalism) at schools that are all three of them top 20 in the world. GRE scores that are well within what is expected for the programs I applied to. Excellent reference letters. GPA in the B++ range due to medical problems (and I have the A+ GPA from last term to prove it was medical problems that made it bad, but none of the programs received a transcript with that A+ GPA). No networking done with profs. Very little time to work on my apps and so may have completely missed the mark on those. No papers published in journals. Weak programming skills (which one of the three cares about).

In short, I have no idea if I'm DREAMING to apply to the schools I applied to. They're the top of the Tier 1 schools, and for all I know my background is more suited to mid or bottom of Tier 1 -- or even Tier 2 schools. I just don't know. So I err on the side of defensive pessimism.