Guest L

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I am in need of advice. Right now, I live on the East coast without a car. I will be moving down to Nashville in August to start at Vanderbilt. I am still wondering if I should buy a car here and figure out how to get it to Nashville, or just wait until I move down to Nashville to find a car. At this point, I really am tired of not having a car, and I do hear that it is hard to get around without a vehicle in Nashville and the public transportation i. I will be living pretty close to campus, but I probably will still need a car for things like groceries, visiting friends, touring Nashville, etc. Does anyone have experience looking for a car in Nashville? What steps should I take in finding one and what would be the time frame? It is more than likely that I will have to wait until I get down to Nashville, and I am worried that it will take a while to find a car. Sorry if I sound ignorant, I've never owned a car before because I've never really had to and it has taken sometime for me even to be serious in looking for one....just don't know where and how to start : (

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ZeeMore21,

I'm also starting at Vandy in August and struggling with the whole car buying scenario. I'm from a big city in Canada and I'm still working on getting my full license before I move down south. Have you found anything online or from sources about buying a car in Nashville? Where will you be living? I heard parking is fairly expensive at Vanderbilt so you might want to find a place closer to campus. Anyways feel free to PM me if you have any insights, otherwise hopefully someone from Vandy or Nashville will take pity on us, and give us some advice.

Looking forward to meeting you in the fall smile.gif

Hi,

I am in need of advice. Right now, I live on the East coast without a car. I will be moving down to Nashville in August to start at Vanderbilt. I am still wondering if I should buy a car here and figure out how to get it to Nashville, or just wait until I move down to Nashville to find a car. At this point, I really am tired of not having a car, and I do hear that it is hard to get around without a vehicle in Nashville and the public transportation i. I will be living pretty close to campus, but I probably will still need a car for things like groceries, visiting friends, touring Nashville, etc. Does anyone have experience looking for a car in Nashville? What steps should I take in finding one and what would be the time frame? It is more than likely that I will have to wait until I get down to Nashville, and I am worried that it will take a while to find a car. Sorry if I sound ignorant, I've never owned a car before because I've never really had to and it has taken sometime for me even to be serious in looking for one....just don't know where and how to start : (

I currently live in Nashville and am a native. The best way to look for a car, assuming that you don't want to buy from a dealership is Craigslist. You have to do your homework and make sure that the car is not a lemon, but you will usually get the best deal this way. OR, if you have money to spend, then there are several dealerships around town that will gladly oblige. If anyone has other questions they'd like to ask a native, I'll try to help. Just PM me.

Hi!

I am moving to Nashville in August, for a 4 months stay in Vanderbilt! I am looking for housing, mainly in Hillboro.. but it seems that it is not easy to find something for such a short period.. or maybe it is because it is too early to start looking for.. Do you think is it a good idea to wait and look for housing once I am there or is it too risky? The option I've found is "Music City Hostel" condos, in Patterson street. It seems a quite convinient place, because I don't need to worry about anything, it is all included in the price, facilities, linnen, equipated kitchen.. but I don't know if it is a nice and safe area of the city.. Someone knows that neigborhood?

Thanks a lot!

Any advice will be very welcome!! ;)

It's not in too bad of an area, but it really depends on what you compare it to. It is not as nice as Hillsboro. I would feel fine living there but my wife certainly would not feel safe there. It's really a matter of comparison.

• 1 month later...

I'm a native Nashvillian and have also lived in Murfreesboro, one of the suburbs to Nashville, throughout undergrad. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask away.

• 6 months later...

I've got what might be an uncommon question, and one which seem slightly ignorant, but I thought I'd put it to native Nashvillians all the same, as I'd like as much info as possible before potentially moving my whole life somewhere for 5 or 6 years! My husband and I are Canadian, I am biracial (african canadian and white) and he is about as aryan as they come, and since we've experienced some racism up here--though few and far between--I was wondering if any of you have any comments as to the 'racial' climate in Nashville and surrounding areas. I'm not quite uninformed enough to think that the South is one gigantic cesspool of racism, but I've heard unsavory stories and know more than my fair share of the history, so I'm just curious to know what it is like now, for example are there certain areas we should avoid living in, etc. I assume it's about the same as anywhere else now that we're in the "post-racial" (HAH!) 2000s, but I thought I'd check.

Our best friends in Nashville were an inter-racial couple, she's black and he's white. I can't speak for them but I do believe that they like living in Nashville. We've gone out with them and never really had any problems. I'm sure that they get strange looks every now and then, but that is more the exception than the rule. Nashville is a lovely city and I'm sure you guys would love it here. Your races shouldn't be a problem.

• 11 months later...

Hey everyone! I'm most likely moving to Nashville this summer to start grad school at Vandy in the fall, and I'm wondering if someone can please share some helpful information on what are some ideal neighborhoods or areas to live in? I'd like to not be TOO far from campus, and am unsure what the cost of living for renting is like. I'd probably have a roommate. Thanks so much!

I just visited there a couple weeks ago.  There are LOTs of apartment options within walking distance, and house rentals too if you know people. There are even more options within a 10 minute drive, if you want to pay for parking, which will be $30 a month.  It's a little bit tight right now because they deconstructed one of the undergrad dorms so there's a throng of undergrads occupying typical grad rentals, but it will hopefully be finished in time for summer lease-signing.  Within walking distance studio apts. were $650-700 / mo.  and 1-bedrooms around $900 / mo.  Vandy's stipends are good (at least for my program, ~$27k), and those grad students don't have much trouble getting by.

Also you get free bus passage with student ID.  One prof. suggested getting a first-year 8/9 month lease at a nearby place and riding the bus.  When you meet your cohort you can probably find some good roommates.

I just visited there a couple weeks ago.  There are LOTs of apartment options within walking distance, and house rentals too if you know people. There are even more options within a 10 minute drive, if you want to pay for parking, which will be $30 a month.  It's a little bit tight right now because they deconstructed one of the undergrad dorms so there's a throng of undergrads occupying typical grad rentals, but it will hopefully be finished in time for summer lease-signing.  Within walking distance studio apts. were $650-700 / mo.  and 1-bedrooms around $900 / mo.  Vandy's stipends are good (at least for my program, ~$27k), and those grad students don't have much trouble getting by.

Also you get free bus passage with student ID.  One prof. suggested getting a first-year 8/9 month lease at a nearby place and riding the bus.  When you meet your cohort you can probably find some good roommates.

Vanderbilt undergrad speaking here. I would say snag the rooms you see rather than waiting. The undergrad dorms aren't coming back up until Fall 2014 at earliest... I believe the apartments by the Peabody campus (off Edgehill and 18th, 17th, so on and so forth) are quick, convenient, and have some month by month leases of one-bedrooms if you are moving solo.

Thanks for the great advice! Are you going to be at Visit Day for Vanderbilt next Friday? (conmgratulations on your acceptances!)

Yes! Come hang out with us in the Education subforum.  :)  From what I gather from the "Applying Fall 2013?" thread, there are quite a few of us attending this week.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Two questions:

I'm planning to visit Vanderbilt in a couple of weeks. I am going by myself. I will have most of a Sunday plus a Monday afternoon/early evening to explore the campus and town outside of my scheduled visit. I will have a rental car, so I hope to spend some of that time driving around to scope out neighborhoods and get the lay of the land. Is there anything I should make sure to see? Also, do y'all have any suggestions for solo dining?

Secondly, if I choose Vandy, I will be moving with my s.o. and two big dogs. We'd love to rent a house or townhouse with a yard. Otherwise, we at least need dog-friendly apartments. Does anyone have any tips on this?

Hey, I'm not applying to Vanderbilt, but I lived in Nashville most of my life, so I thought I might be able to offer a little insight. 

Vandy's only about 15 minutes from the airport (via I-40) without traffic. 

You will probably find that apartment prices are low in Antioch, but it's super-sketchy. I would avoid it.

Brentwood's  a really nice area of town, but really pricey,too.

I think Nashville is a little less safe than people might assume. It's got the small town vibe, but still has big city crime.

That said, most people are very friendly, the weather is nice (if you don't mind rain all spring long), and the area is gorgeous.

• 2 weeks later...

Could anyone speak to how feasible it is for a couple to live in Bellevue with just one car? My girlfriend will be moving down with me when I start my PhD this fall.  She'll likely be getting a job at Vanderbilt Medical Center, while I'll be in Poli Sci at the Commons Center.  We're looking for a 2 bedroom for relatively cheap (under about $1200 or $1300 at most) and as many features as we can find, but also safe, etc.  I was just down at Vandy and a lot of the grad students recommended living in Bellevue or other fairly suburban areas out west.  We will be getting a car gifted to us this summer from my family, but is it going to be possible to live out that far with only the one car? We'll both be on very different hours and we're both terrified of being basically stuck out in the burbs when something is happening.  Any advice? Is it possible to find somewhere with halfway decent space in Hillsboro, Green Hills, Sylvan Park or the West End in the same budget?

• 2 weeks later...

I visited Nashville this past weekend and drove all around looking at neighborhoods.

It seems I may be priced out of the nice areas right around Vanderbilt (Hillsboro, 12 South, Sylvan Park, etc.), especially since I won't be having roommates and my s.o. and I would really like something like a duplex rather than an apartment. 

However, I was really enamored by the sense of community and low-key feel of East Nashville. It has the bohemian, mixed income, up-and-coming vibe I've become accustomed to in Austin. Can anyone comment on the commute time to Vanderbilt from neighborhoods like Eastwood, Cleveland Park, and Inglewood, both during rush hour and non-rush-hour?

Thanks in advance!

Could anyone speak to how feasible it is for a couple to live in Bellevue with just one car? My girlfriend will be moving down with me when I start my PhD this fall.  She'll likely be getting a job at Vanderbilt Medical Center, while I'll be in Poli Sci at the Commons Center.  We're looking for a 2 bedroom for relatively cheap (under about $1200 or $1300 at most) and as many features as we can find, but also safe, etc.  I was just down at Vandy and a lot of the grad students recommended living in Bellevue or other fairly suburban areas out west.  We will be getting a car gifted to us this summer from my family, but is it going to be possible to live out that far with only the one car? We'll both be on very different hours and we're both terrified of being basically stuck out in the burbs when something is happening.  Any advice? Is it possible to find somewhere with halfway decent space in Hillsboro, Green Hills, Sylvan Park or the West End in the same budget?

I've been at Vandy a few years now...

Yes, you can definitely rent a two bedroom place for that much in Bellevue or West Nashville. Easily! My wife and I live in a two bedroom, 1.5 bath apartment in West Nashville off of Charlotte Ave (closer to Vandy than Bellevue) for $625/month. The grounds are kind of funny, and the apartments aren't glamerous, but at 850 sq feet, central heating and air, dishwasher and basic appliances included, it's pretty hard to beat. Check out Croley Court Apartments as a starting point (I'd love some other student tenants in the complex!), but unless you're looking for something really in the downtown or Vanderbilt/Hillsboro Village area, I think it's safe to say you can lower your price range. Bellevue is a little better groomed than the Charlotte Ave area(think: old money), but you can still easily find a two bedroom there for under a thousand.

Again, a stipend goes a long way in Nashville, which is a huge selling point for its universities.

I am officially going to Vandy now, and I need to plan a house-hunting trip for the summer. I'm seeking a dog-friendly house/duplex/fourplex, preferably a two-bedroom, under $1000. I plan to use a realtor for my search.

Any advice on how I should time my trip? Two months before moving? Six weeks? Something else?

• 2 weeks later...

I visited Nashville this past weekend and drove all around looking at neighborhoods.

It seems I may be priced out of the nice areas right around Vanderbilt (Hillsboro, 12 South, Sylvan Park, etc.), especially since I won't be having roommates and my s.o. and I would really like something like a duplex rather than an apartment. 

However, I was really enamored by the sense of community and low-key feel of East Nashville. It has the bohemian, mixed income, up-and-coming vibe I've become accustomed to in Austin. Can anyone comment on the commute time to Vanderbilt from neighborhoods like Eastwood, Cleveland Park, and Inglewood, both during rush hour and non-rush-hour?

Thanks in advance!

Hey Tuck,

I'm from Texas too! I lived north of Austin for awhile, and I can state authoritatively that Nashville traffic is so much easier than the ridiculous back-ups on 35. God. The closest I've come to that is actually not on the highways but on West End heading southwest at rush hour - that used to take me about an hour.

Anyway, I live in East Nash right now, and it takes me an easy 15-20 minute drive to get to 9am classes. Coming home can be a bit more frustrating starting around 4:30 - it usually takes me 30min, but if there's an accident or something it gets up to 45-60min - that's rare. At other times of day it's a solid 12 minutes. So I find it simple, and you're right, there's an Austin vibe. :)

I'm not sure about timing. Things open up all summer because the rental scene is so studenty. I'm not sure you need a realtor, honestly; I've moved lots during my time here and found my places on classifieds, craigslist, listservs. I'd search the listservs or google groups for areas you're interested in. 

Hey Tuck,

I'm from Texas too! I lived north of Austin for awhile, and I can state authoritatively that Nashville traffic is so much easier than the ridiculous back-ups on 35. God. The closest I've come to that is actually not on the highways but on West End heading southwest at rush hour - that used to take me about an hour.

Anyway, I live in East Nash right now, and it takes me an easy 15-20 minute drive to get to 9am classes. Coming home can be a bit more frustrating starting around 4:30 - it usually takes me 30min, but if there's an accident or something it gets up to 45-60min - that's rare. At other times of day it's a solid 12 minutes. So I find it simple, and you're right, there's an Austin vibe. :)

I'm not sure about timing. Things open up all summer because the rental scene is so studenty. I'm not sure you need a realtor, honestly; I've moved lots during my time here and found my places on classifieds, craigslist, listservs. I'd search the listservs or google groups for areas you're interested in. 

Sport, thank you so much! This is really helpful information. I will miss a lot of things about Austin, but the parking lot that is IH 35 is not one of them.  :-)

The yahoo/google group thing is a great idea. That's going on my to-do list for this week!

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I will be starting school at Vanderbilt in August. Does anyone know of any good apartments within 500-700 dollars per month for rent?

The key concerns for me are safety, rent (preferably $500-700) and washer-dryer connections/included. I'm looking at starting at Vanderbilt in August. Any advice?

Hi! Will also be attending Vanderbilt this Fall. Also looking for good apartments, same price range. I'm an international student so I can't visit the place prior to moving :\

Edited by qualitative