Guest L

6 hours ago, _etruscan said:

Figured I'd bump this thread.

I've been accepted to Vanderbilt for Fall 2016. Pending something odd, I am going to attend because, hey, funding! In any case, I have never lived outside of Texas before, living in DFW or Austin most of my life. 

Now I'm obviously looking for a place to live. While the idea of living near Vanderbilt is appealing, one look at the rent nearby dissuaded me of that idea immediately.

So has anything changed since last year? What are good neighborhoods to live in? And how's the public transportation in Nashville, specifically to Vanderbilt? I'm a car owner, so commuting wouldn't be a problem.

Lastly: where do all the Mexicans live? I'm Mexican-American and given that I've lived among my people for most of my life, does anyone know how large the community is in Nashville, as well as where all the Mexican tends and carnicerias are? Mexican food is just food for me :P

Pretty much the same scenario here. I'm strongly considering Vanderbilt, so apartment suggestions are totally welcome. I've only been to Nashville once, so I'm not totally familiar with the neighborhoods. I'm a car owner as well, so a 15-20 minute drive to campus isn't out of the question. (And I love Mexican food! :D)

On February 16, 2016 at 7:45 AM, _etruscan said:

Figured I'd bump this thread.

I've been accepted to Vanderbilt for Fall 2016. Pending something odd, I am going to attend because, hey, funding! In any case, I have never lived outside of Texas before, living in DFW or Austin most of my life. 

Now I'm obviously looking for a place to live. While the idea of living near Vanderbilt is appealing, one look at the rent nearby dissuaded me of that idea immediately.

So has anything changed since last year? What are good neighborhoods to live in? And how's the public transportation in Nashville, specifically to Vanderbilt? I'm a car owner, so commuting wouldn't be a problem.

Lastly: where do all the Mexicans live? I'm Mexican-American and given that I've lived among my people for most of my life, does anyone know how large the community is in Nashville, as well as where all the Mexican tends and carnicerias are? Mexican food is just food for me :P

Howdy, and welcome. I think you both will love nashville. The rent will indeed be very high around Vandy's campus. I would just start looking around, there are lots of nice places out towards Bellevue, South Nashville, Nipper's Corner, Woodbine, etc. I live near Woodbine, on Nolensville Road, and this would probably be the best place if you're looking for Mexican food and the like. There's a huge multi-ethnic community around here and tons of taquerias and restaurants as well as other ethnic food spots. As with most affordable neighborhoods here there are pockets where people might be more concerned with crime, etc. But i've never experienced that. 

Public transportation is very hit-or-miss. I've never used it because the routes are quite inconvenient for me. But if you're coming from the right place you could certainly get to and from vandy on the bus. Good luck!

On 2/18/2016 at 4:03 PM, rudolphred said:

Howdy, and welcome. I think you both will love nashville. The rent will indeed be very high around Vandy's campus. I would just start looking around, there are lots of nice places out towards Bellevue, South Nashville, Nipper's Corner, Woodbine, etc. I live near Woodbine, on Nolensville Road, and this would probably be the best place if you're looking for Mexican food and the like. There's a huge multi-ethnic community around here and tons of taquerias and restaurants as well as other ethnic food spots. As with most affordable neighborhoods here there are pockets where people might be more concerned with crime, etc. But i've never experienced that. 

Public transportation is very hit-or-miss. I've never used it because the routes are quite inconvenient for me. But if you're coming from the right place you could certainly get to and from vandy on the bus. Good luck!

Thanks for the overview! I'll try to find more information about each neighborhood before the Grad Student Visit. I was hoping to be able to look around at some areas while I'm there, and this should give me a great start.

• 3 weeks later...

I was accepted to Vanderbilt and I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on the surrounding area?  Seems like a great place to live, with plenty to do, but housing near campus seems incredibly expensive, and public transportation seems spotty. Is this correct? Does anyone have suggestions for places to live? Or any thoughts about Nashville in general? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hello all!

Doing recon on apartments near Peabody College at Vanderbilt.

What resources/websites have you used to find decent apartments? Which resources/websites would you avoid?

For those who've used the bus system for your commute, which lines did you use and from what neighborhood, how long was your trip, and how much did the buses deviate from their posted schedules?

Thanks so much for your help.

21 hours ago, nooxhc said:

Which neighborhoods would be around 15min bike distance to Vandy?

15 minute bike ride, would you say that's about 3-4 miles? Neighborhoods that are that close might include Belmont, Hillsboro Village, Edgehill, some of the apartments in Midtown and/or West End... Any farther than that would be tricky to biking, mostly because I wouldn't consider a lot of Nashville to be "bike friendly." Those are fairly expensive areas, but you can find decent deals if you are willing to live in smaller, older places (there's a lot of crazy expensive/nice new developments, if you can afford it!)

15 hours ago, 0002684179 said:

Hello all!

Doing recon on apartments near Peabody College at Vanderbilt.

What resources/websites have you used to find decent apartments? Which resources/websites would you avoid?

For those who've used the bus system for your commute, which lines did you use and from what neighborhood, how long was your trip, and how much did the buses deviate from their posted schedules?

Thanks so much for your help.

I found that Apartments.com is a really solid listing of Nashville apartments, especially for folks moving new to town. Craigslist will have some decent things, but I would be very skeptical. Again, if you are willing to live in small, old places that are very basic, you can find that. But for the most part, sticking to the "usual suspects" and more traditional listing will find you good places in Nashville. The rental market is insane, but it does seem to be peaking, in terms of prices. Via PM, I can make a few recommendations on specific apartments either I have lived in or friends have used that I think would be good for Vanderbilt (see above for neighborhoods to check out that are near Peabody campus, as well).

As far as bus (MTA), it is a mixed bag. Most of the lines are along major arteries and go down into the downtown area. So if you happen to live on a line, you're in luck (your student ID will give you access to MTA). My major problem with system is that there is just such a limited fleet, it is often 15-30 minutes between scheduled pick up times. If your schedule is pretty standardized, that can work. But if you have variability with work/school schedule, it might be hard to coordinate. Again, you can PM me if you want advice/ideas about using bus, apartments, etc.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/21/2016 at 10:02 AM, sierra918 said:

I'll be starting at Vandy in the fall, and my husband and I bought a house in Murfreesboro, about 39 minutes south of Vandy. It's a really great area for families of anyone else is coming with children ?

On the off chance you still check this (or anyone else who knows the area), how is Murfreesboro working out for you?  I am also moving to the area with three young children and trying to figure out what child-friendly, reasonably priced communities might have doable commutes.  Most of what I have heard has been people living to the South, which makes sense given the location of Vanderbilt, but do you know anyone who lives to the Northeast (around Hendersonville)?  It looks like there are some decent communities there with reasonable calculated commutes, but I am coming from overseas and have no idea how Googlemaps estimates relate to real travel times.

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who currently lives in Nashville, and commutes to Vanderbilt from the west side of town, but know many people in the Murfreesboro and Hendersonville areas, I would say the only thing to consider is how much you are frustrated by bumper to bumper traffic. From both of those locations, the traffic coming into Nashville is dense and the commute starts early and ends late. Those areas of town are very nice for families and convenient for creature comforts (grocery stores, big box shopping, pediatric clinics, etc). And if you want to come into Nashville (not during traditional commute hours) the drivers are simple and very much what Google predicts. So, the only question I would give you @mdivgirl is about your tolerance for traffic. Also, with that handle... Are you going to Vandy Div? I am an alum from that program, too, and would be happy to answer any questions, if you would like :) best of luck!

Thanks for the info, @revtheory1126 .  The screen name is a relic from time a past.  It just sort of stuck.  I am going to be studying a Ph.D. in church history in the department of religion so will be be jumping between the history department and the div school from the sound of it.  I've mostly been looking around Franklin and Bellevue, since those are the areas I've been recommended, but I am wondering where else to look.  Since you live to the West, any thoughts on Pegram or Kingston Springs?  Is that getting too far away?  The schools look pretty good and there are some reasonable houses with room to breathe.  Or Nolansville?  

We have a friend with two spare bedrooms in Thomson Station willing to put us up for a while and we are having the kids start there, and that looks like a great town, but I'll see how fast the commute gets to me.  I am from NJ and had plenty of long commutes growing up, but my husband is from the U.K. And we currently live right in the middle of a major Asian city where my job is about 7 minutes away on scooter, so I have no idea how we're going to feel about US distances and commutes.  I am just trying to work out as much as I can before the semester starts because I am going to have plenty to get my head around for classes, etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions of specific apartment complexes they've lived in or know of that are walking distance to Vanderbilt and safe enough to walk alone to at night? Conversely, are there any areas close to campus you'd recommend a female walking alone at night to avoid?

I've found a couple apartments near Centennial Park but I've heard mixed reviews of the park's safety at night. Are the other sides of campus (South/East) considered safer?

Any feedback is helpful since I know nothing about Nashville. Thanks!

On 4/13/2017 at 11:24 AM, ndrun said:

Does anyone have any suggestions of specific apartment complexes they've lived in or know of that are walking distance to Vanderbilt and safe enough to walk alone to at night? Conversely, are there any areas close to campus you'd recommend a female walking alone at night to avoid?

I've found a couple apartments near Centennial Park but I've heard mixed reviews of the park's safety at night. Are the other sides of campus (South/East) considered safer?

I cannot recommend a neighborhood that's "safe." Here's Nashville's crime map, which may be helpful in making that judgment. The only recommendation I can make is to look for a walking path that's well-lit, or to find a place on the shuttle route.  

Also, do you know about the SafeVU app

• 1 month later...
On 4/13/2017 at 0:24 PM, ndrun said:

I second the question about safe areas. I'm having a pretty hard time finding a place that's both safe and affordable. I thought I found a nice apartment in my price range and it was listed as one of the safer neighborhoods. But then after looking up reviews of the place, lo and behold there were two shootings in the complex within the last two years. Now I'm a little nervous about moving to Nashville. Any advice on where a single female might be able to live?

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/15/2017 at 9:23 AM, angesradieux said:

I second the question about safe areas. I'm having a pretty hard time finding a place that's both safe and affordable. I thought I found a nice apartment in my price range and it was listed as one of the safer neighborhoods. But then after looking up reviews of the place, lo and behold there were two shootings in the complex within the last two years. Now I'm a little nervous about moving to Nashville. Any advice on where a single female might be able to live?

It's really not that bad, y'all. I live in the music row area, and feel much safer than when I lived in my hometown. What's your price range?

• 9 months later...

Reviving the Nashville thread!

Okay, so I know some things about this thread are dated ($900 for a 1 bedroom next to Vandy? Oooh 2013 was a simpler time) but I was wondering if the “East Nashville isn’t so bad” v “East Nashville will get you shot” argument is now settled in 2018? I don’t mind roughish areas, especially if the primary crimes are nonviolent theft or drunken disorderly (I see a lot of that on Nashville’s crime map).

Also, because I’d rather rent a small house or townhouse than an apartment, (I have dogs), has anyone who moved to Nashville worked with using a real estate agent for a rental? I never have, but it’s more common in some cities. Also also, are there still neighborhoods where people only advertise rentals with signs out front (like I’d be best served driving around areas I already know I like) or are most of the houses already investor/corporate owned so it’s all going online anyway?

I’m trying to keep my rent around 1400, so I know the area immediately around Vanderbilt is out. But I have a car and I don’t need a ton of space so I’m hoping I can find something in the city with a little digging.

Thanks to anyone who has answers/general advice.

(I’m relying heavily on this Youtube video for neighborhood breakdowns) 

10 minutes ago, M(allthevowels)H said:

Reviving the Nashville thread!

Okay, so I know some things about this thread are dated ($900 for a 1 bedroom next to Vandy? Oooh 2013 was a simpler time) but I was wondering if the “East Nashville isn’t so bad” v “East Nashville will get you shot” argument is now settled in 2018? I don’t mind roughish areas, especially if the primary crimes are nonviolent theft or drunken disorderly (I see a lot of that on Nashville’s crime map).

Also, because I’d rather rent a small house or townhouse than an apartment, (I have dogs), has anyone who moved to Nashville worked with using a real estate agent for a rental? I never have, but it’s more common in some cities. Also also, are there still neighborhoods where people only advertise rentals with signs out front (like I’d be best served driving around areas I already know I like) or are most of the houses already investor/corporate owned so it’s all going online anyway?

I’m trying to keep my rent around 1400, so I know the area immediately around Vanderbilt is out. But I have a car and I don’t need a ton of space so I’m hoping I can find something in the city with a little digging.

Thanks to anyone who has answers/general advice.

(I’m relying heavily on this Youtube video for neighborhood breakdowns) 

Haha wow the video wasn't too far off, especially for the bars and touristy areas.

So for the low down...I live walking distance to Vandy's med center (not sure where your English classes would be, but also walking distance from my apartment, I'm willing to bet), and I pay $1000/mo for my 1BR apartment (no pets allowed and no space for the doggos anyway, sorry). If you're looking for a house for $1400/mo, you might be able to find a 2BR/1Ba in Sylvan Park, East Nashville , possibly even Germantown for that price. If you're willing to get a roommate or two, you could easily find a 3BR house in any of those areas or closer to campus and pay more like $1000 apiece, perhaps less.

You're right, the argument over East Nashville is settled, and it can be summed up by one interaction I've had: some guys came up to me one night to ask, "what's the seediest part of Nashville?" I said, "you're pretty much in it, sorry," and their reply was "Seriously? This is the whitest, most gentified piece of shit." (if anyone's wondering, they were looking for cocaine). It's gentrifying (FAST) for better or for worse. Still not nearly as kitschy as Broadway, the Gulch, etc; it's more akin to 12th Ave with the hipster restaurants, speakeasies, tourists seeking out hot chicken. There are a few sketchy areas, but if you walk around your neighborhood beforehand, you'll know pretty immediately whether you'll feel safe there or not. Or you could probably do a google maps search and base it on how many coffee shops are within a 1 mile radius.

From what I can tell, there are definitely still places you'll only find if you drive around and look for signs out front. They don't have to advertise all that much in Nashville with tons of people moving here and renting temporary apartments til they find homes. I did find my (individually owned) apartment via internet, though, for what that's worth.

Hope that was helpful! Also, if anyone without pets wants my apartment, PM me (my lease is up the end of June).

12 minutes ago, AllieKat said:

Haha wow the video wasn't too far off, especially for the bars and touristy areas.

So for the low down...I live walking distance to Vandy's med center (not sure where your English classes would be, but also walking distance from my apartment, I'm willing to bet), and I pay $1000/mo for my 1BR apartment (no pets allowed and no space for the doggos anyway, sorry). If you're looking for a house for $1400/mo, you might be able to find a 2BR/1Ba in Sylvan Park, East Nashville , possibly even Germantown for that price. If you're willing to get a roommate or two, you could easily find a 3BR house in any of those areas or closer to campus and pay more like $1000 apiece, perhaps less.

You're right, the argument over East Nashville is settled, and it can be summed up by one interaction I've had: some guys came up to me one night to ask, "what's the seediest part of Nashville?" I said, "you're pretty much in it, sorry," and their reply was "Seriously? This is the whitest, most gentified piece of shit." (if anyone's wondering, they were looking for cocaine). It's gentrifying (FAST) for better or for worse. Still not nearly as kitschy as Broadway, the Gulch, etc; it's more akin to 12th Ave with the hipster restaurants, speakeasies, tourists seeking out hot chicken. There are a few sketchy areas, but if you walk around your neighborhood beforehand, you'll know pretty immediately whether you'll feel safe there or not. Or you could probably do a google maps search and base it on how many coffee shops are within a 1 mile radius.

From what I can tell, there are definitely still places you'll only find if you drive around and look for signs out front. They don't have to advertise all that much in Nashville with tons of people moving here and renting temporary apartments til they find homes. I did find my (individually owned) apartment via internet, though, for what that's worth.

Hope that was helpful! Also, if anyone without pets wants my apartment, PM me (my lease is up the end of June).

Thanks so much! This is super helpful. I'll check out Sylvan Park and Germantown, too. 

• 10 months later...

I wanna know what life without a car is like in Nashville. If I came, I'd be turning down some of the most walkable cities in the country and would love to read someone telling me that it's NBD haha. I don't even have a driver's license!

Edited by paraent

On 3/10/2019 at 8:14 PM, paraent said:

I wanna know what life without a car is like in Nashville. If I came, I'd be turning down some of the most walkable cities in the country and would love to read someone telling me that it's NBD haha. I don't even have a driver's license!

This depends a lot on where you're living and where all you need to get to. Regardless, if you're looking for a city you can fully experience via bus/bike/foot, Nashville isn't it. If you live within biking distance of campus--and you just want to be able to go to class, get your groceries, and hit up a few restaurants and bars--that's totally do-able. You'll probably have a cohort with cars, if you're okay with depending on them for group outings. Just don't expect the buses to EVER be on time.

Just to chime in, I went to undergrad at Vandy and started working for VUMC a couple of years ago. I originally wasn't planning on getting a car, but the rent pricing of the apartments within walking distance from campus was just too ridiculous to justify that. I have never had a good experience with the public transportation here (one time a passenger threatened to shoot another with the gun in his backpack because the other was doing pot in the back. Yikes). I got my driver's license and learned how to drive in Nashville, and I'd say it's pretty easy to get around, even with the increasing traffic. The parking spaces are pretty wide!

On 3/13/2019 at 12:03 PM, AllieKat said:

This depends a lot on where you're living and where all you need to get to. Regardless, if you're looking for a city you can fully experience via bus/bike/foot, Nashville isn't it. If you live within biking distance of campus--and you just want to be able to go to class, get your groceries, and hit up a few restaurants and bars--that's totally do-able. You'll probably have a cohort with cars, if you're okay with depending on them for group outings. Just don't expect the buses to EVER be on time.

Just to chime in, I went to undergrad at Vandy and started working for VUMC a couple of years ago. I originally wasn't planning on getting a car, but the rent pricing of the apartments within walking distance from campus was just too ridiculous to justify that. I have never had a good experience with the public transportation here (one time a passenger threatened to shoot another with the gun in his backpack because the other was smoking pot in the back. Yikes). I got my driver's license and learned how to drive in Nashville, and I'd say it's pretty easy to get around, even with the increasing traffic. The parking spaces are pretty wide!

Edited by floppy
Typo

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, hopefully this is not an inappropriate place to post this:

I am currently a PhD student at Vandy in the chemistry program, and am looking for a new roommate as my current one is leaving this summer. I would love to have another grad student as a roommate as we tend to share similar work ethic, mindset, and hours. I would also be a great resource for any incoming student as I have lived here nearly 3 years. I'm looking to stay in my current 2bed/2bath apartment, which is conveniently located only 2 miles from campus (also very close to Lipscomb and Belmont) and is also off of a bus route. 

Please message me if you may possibly be interested! More than happy to send more information, but kept it broad for the general thread.

Maggie