Geography

rising_star

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

my husband is a current Ph.D. student in Geography at UW-Madison.

According to him, the decisions have been made and invited some top-admitted students to visit campus.

FYI...

Hello fellow geographers,

rising_star - post your news (please!). I'm British, and I've applied to 5 US graduate progams. Anyways, this is what I've heard so far:

U Wisconsin-Madison: accepted, and apparently I'm "in the top students" (their dodgy grammar, not mine) - but I've heard nothing on funding so far. And no transatlantic jolly invite either :(

U of Alabama: accepted, and funding decision will be made within the next couple of weeks.

U of Arizona: no decision so far

U of Illinois: I haven't heard a word from them.

So, that's me. What about you -- where have you applied, and what are your interests (geographically speaking)?

Hello fellow geographers,

rising_star - post your news (please!). I'm British, and I've applied to 5 US graduate progams. Anyways, this is what I've heard so far:

U Wisconsin-Madison: accepted, and apparently I'm "in the top students" (their dodgy grammar, not mine) - but I've heard nothing on funding so far. And no transatlantic jolly invite either :(

If you are recommended by the Gragraphy department at UW-Madison for fellowship, it will take longer to receive the funding information, because the graduate school may need more processes to decide. Good Luck! :wink:

If you are recommended by the Gragraphy department at UW-Madison for fellowship, it will take longer to receive the funding information, because the graduate school may need more processes to decide. Good Luck! Wink

Thank you! That's actually what I'm (not so) secretly hoping is the case! My online application says --

Your department has recommended you for admission. The Graduate School is requesting additional information... 1) Note: FUNDING LETTER TO COME FROM DEPARTMENT

So, whether that's looking positive, I don't know. On the basis of 'hope for the best, prepare for the worst', I was reading that as meaning my application is somehow incomplete (probably in terms of a financial form, Visa application). The "funding letter" part, I took to be separate -- as in the letter would be from the department to me, rather than from the department to the Grad School. Maybe... Well, it's not clear. I'll have to wait, and hope, and see.

Hopefully some more geographers will pitch up sometime soon too :)

First, let me just say that I only applied to MA programs. That said, I got into Univ. of Georgia (MA) with a Teaching Assistantship. Accepted to Ohio State with a nomination for a Graduate School Fellowship. And, today I got into Florida State's doctoral program (which I did not apply for, wtf?) with a teaching assistantship and a scholarship. I am wary of going to FSU only because I grew up in Tallahassee.

So, you applied to MA programs because you don't intend to go on to do a PhD or..? I think officially, for all of mine, I'm applying for a master's too. But I think that it's a formality, and the 'expectation' is that when you enroll on their graduate program you intend to see it through. Are all yours supposed to 'terminal' master's programs, rather than the MA being a 'stepping stone' towards the PhD?

Hey Andrew,

They're supposed to be a steppingstone towards the PhD. Really my interest is Third World development, with an emphasis on Africa. There aren't a lot of places that don't have what I consider Arctic weather so I'm sort of limited. There are two mini-goals as well. 1) That I find one discipline to really ground myself in and 2) that I get over my hatred of cold weather in the next two years (I'm doing undergrad in NJ and I can't stand it).

So, while I am interested in doing a PhD, I'm not interested in doing it right now. I could only really see myself getting a PhD in Comparative Literature (which is what I'm studying as an undergrad) or Anthropology (which is my pseudo-minor [we don't have it as a minor but I've taken enough anthro classes for it to be my minor if we had that option]).

What about you? What's your goal?

Hey rising (??) :)

It sounds like good stuff! If you're into anthropology, did you think about Louisiana State? -- because their geography and anthropology departments are combined. I was seriously thinking of applying there because they have some really good cultural geography people -- and a good reputation (I'm told). Although, you're right -- you do actually have to LIVE in one of these places for 2/5 years, and I'm not sure Baton Rouge looked like my kind of place.

Saying that, I don't know where I'll end up going -- according to my mental map, Arizona = hot and Wisconsin = cold. Mind you, either 'extreme' would be an improvement over damp, gray England I'm sure.

My undergraduate thesis is based around critical geopolitics (probably a bit obscure), so that obviously interests me. But I'm really interested in a whole range of critical/'cultural'/political geography issues. In terms of development, where are you coming from? -- I mean, is there any particular aspect or approach you're thinking of? For me, I really couldn't stand some economic or political economy type approach. So, although I obviously have to specialize in terms of a thesis topic(s), I definitely want to keep some breadth too and an open mind. I'm going to try to avoid sticking to topics and approaches just because I'm familiar with them... and maybe find new things that interest me.

This is turning into a bit of an essay (I'm sorry!). I was just thinking, couldn't you do something with your literature interest within geography? I mean, there's all kinds of interesting stuff around to do with geographical imaginations as represented in literature, film, music (my thesis :))...?

So yep, I want a PhD, and then I want to teach. But mainly my goal is to live in the US...and not go back.

I hope your weekend's good!

Andrew

p.s., where in NJ are you? It's just that my bro studied abroad at Rutgers last year which made me wonder. Being a geographer I didn't get that opportunity sadly :(. I did visit him though - only for about 3 days - but I fell in love with America right there and then.

Got my first official rejection today. UNC. I think it's because they were missing 2 LoRs as of Feb 15. I tried to have the recommenders resend but I guess it was too late.

Still waiting to get the official rejection from UT. I know it's coming based on the grad coordinator's cryptic phone response and his lack of responsiveness to my emails (I was just trying to ensure that all 3 LoRs were received!). Oh well. I've got UGA and FSU to look forward to and a barrage of questions to fire at each school.

I'm sorry to hear about that... but at least you already have good offers in the bag :D. Good luck with UT (is that Texas?? ignorance showing) -- you never know. It's not necessarily a bad sign that they're blanking you. Wisconsin did that on me before accepting me... apparently some places have a 'rule' that members of admissions committees don't correspond with applicants during the process. And, if the grad coordinator is an administrator rather than an academic, it could just be that they're a bit inefficent. But you have at least some choices, so what's going to decide it for you?

I'm still waiting for Kentucky's funding decision, and to hear from Arizona. Although Arizona did taunt me with an 'invitation' to attend some event of theirs at the AAG -- yeah, like I'll just be passing through Chicago on March 8 and drop in. :roll:

UT is University of Texas - Austin. I'd love to go there, really. The grad coordinator is an administrator and he looked around on his desk and then muttered something about how I'm not on the list and wished me "good luck". I emailed him again to say I was confused about what he meant but he hasn't responded. But I'm getting more and more sold on the virtues of UGA and FSU (though wary of going there because 1) it's doctoral and 2) I grew up there).

What is the AAG conference?

Not to dim your hopes, but someone on livejournal's who_got_in community heard from University of Kentucky at the end of last week. As good as they are, they lack Africanists (both in the program and at the university) which did them in in my book.

I did look at Louisana State before but Hurricane Katrina aftermath scared me off. They have a new program starting this fall for a PhD emphasis in Anthrogeography so I may look into that when PhD application time rolls around (which is 3-4 years off, I think).

As for my literary interest, the prof I want to work with at Ohio State is into geography in literature and he previously did a bunch of field research in Africa. Needless to say, I'm hoping to get funding. Even though I'm not sure I can deal with more winter. I type this as it snows outside. *sigh*

Last thing. I'm south of Rutgers at that other school. Have no background in geography. I did study abroad in Spain in fall 2004 and had a fabulous time. I almost considered applying to grad schools there but couldn't decide if I had it in me to do a Master's degree taught and read in Spanish. Although I might... It seems odd, by the way, that you couldn't study abroad as a geographer.

... Princeton?? I visited there -- it's an incredibly pretty town. And it's south of New Brunswick (Rutgers)... maybe??? I wonder why Princeton, and the rest of the Ivy League, don't do geography?

(The AAG is the Association of American Geographers -- publishers of everyone's favourite journal, Annals of the AAG.)

Like the person on livejournal, I have heard from Kentucky, just not about funding as yet. So, I'm still hopeful.

Presumably you speak pretty good Spanish? If I had wanted to study abroad, it would have added an extra year (i.e. a 4th year) to my degree -- and even then, I would only have been able to go to one of a couple of places in Europe. I'm not sure my very basic German would have carried me far in France, Spain or Italy. So, when I said that I couldn't do study abroad, I really meant in the US. Most departments -- not geography because they think any other program in the world is below their standard (allegedly) -- allow people to go to US/Canada/Australia/Europe just for one semester and count their credit points from that.

It's supposed to snow here later today actually, which is pretty exciting. No doubt it'll just be very cold and rain -- as usual.

It seems to me that only big state universities in the US offer geography, particularly at the graduate level.

Got my rejection from University of Texas today. *sigh* They were one of my top choices and the first school that I ever fell in love with. That makes me quite a bit sad. Oh well.

I'm lining up department visits for Ohio State (even though I don't know about funding) and University of Georgia for the first part of my spring break. Should be interesting. I hope I like one of them because I'm really not sure about going to Florida State.

I haven't taken the GRE yet, but I plan on taking it this summer and then applying to geography programs for spring 2007. I'm interested in getting a masters with an emphasis in economic geography, location analysis, or transportation logistics. I think I'll probably apply to University at Buffalo, UNC-Charlotte, University of Georgia, Georgia State University, University of Florida, and University of Washington - Seattle. If someone doesn't mind, what kind of scores are typically accepted at these universities and similar ones? My GPA at the moment is about a 3.0 - 3.1 while earning a B.S. in Sociology with a minor in geography at a decent but not great state school. What kind of grades are you guys being accepted with if you dont mind sharing? Also, if you know of any other schools that offer a masters in geography with an emphasis in economic geography, let me know.

thanks

I applied to Geography UC Berkeley, UCLA and U Washington and rejections from Berkeley and Washington arrived last week. Both saying that they have extrordinary amount of applicants this year. But I know there is a more significant reason for my rejection- I'm an international student and require high tuition fees. Anyway, I did receive a email from a prof at UCLA that I was admitted today. Official letters will be sent out in several days. Funding plans are still under decision. Hope everyone good luck!

To the guest that asked about scores and grades: I honestly have no clue what is getting me acceptances and what isn't. My undergraduate background is heavily inclined towards the humanities (literature and Spanish) so I doubt my grades are a good indicator of my potential success in geography since they have nothing to judge on. Generally speaking, if you can find the average GRE scores and GPAs, you want to be at that average (slightly above if possible).

Maybe someone else can offer you more/better advice. I'm really new to this whole thing.

yeah, most schools seem to just say a minimum of a 3.0 GPA. That's why I was wondering what king of grades people were being accpeted with and if you thought I could get in with just the minimum GPA. Maybe I'll just apply to a few more schools and see what happens. I'm sure I can find a school somewhere that will accept me into their program.

Anonymous said:
yeah, most schools seem to just say a minimum of a 3.0 GPA. That's why I was wondering what king of grades people were being accpeted with and if you thought I could get in with just the minimum GPA. Maybe I'll just apply to a few more schools and see what happens. I'm sure I can find a school somewhere that will accept me into their program.

As a foreigner, I've no idea what my GPA equivalent would be. In terms of GREs, all I would say is -- take what you read in forums (like urch.com) with a pinch of salt. A lot of those folks seem to think that unless you nail 800 on the quantitative section you have no hope; there are certainly some strange "insights" being offered by self-appointed experts. (So here I go...)

I don't think we can second-guess how different departments weigh the relative contributions of GPA, your statement of purpose, GREs and other factors. The information doesn't seem to be on the website any more, but Kentucky used to have their average scores for successful geography applicants -- and if I remember correctly, the mean verbal score was around the mid-500s. I also seem to remember that Syracuse had their scores listed, and these were c. 550 too. Although I didn't apply to Syracuse, they are (by all accounts) "good" and competitive, so I think it's fair to say that mediocre GRE scores aren't the be all and end all from their perspective.

Perhaps your undergraduate institution might have some bearing -- I'm sure 3.0 from some places is worth more than from others (??). I'm not sure about that, because in Britain they perpetuate the myth that a particular degree grade is standardized nationally across all subjects and all universities (obviously that's bullshit).

But, I would say apply to departments with expertise in your area of interest, rather than being guided too heavily by league tables (if they exist). I suspect this is the most important factor (given certain minimum standards), and I definitely don't think there can be any general rule "if you score X on GRE/GPA, then you'll get into place A, B or C". A scattergun element can't hurt if your aim is just to get in somewhere (anywhere), in which case it certainly seems a good strategy to apply to a full range in terms of reputation/competitiveness/standards.

The geography dept. at UC Santa Barbara posts average GRE scores and GPAs as well. The program is quite good and Santa Barbara is a beautiful place to be for school.

Guest Guest

Can anyone tell me anything about Geography at UIUC? What's its reputation? Ranking? I'm particularly interested in Political Geography.

Can anyone tell me anything about Geography at UIUC? What's its reputation? Ranking? I'm particularly interested in Political Geography.

Not really... I mean, I've no idea about its rating, but I know that Colin Flint is there -- and he is pretty much THE MAN when it comes to 'critical' geopolitics, and political geography more broadly. Political geography at the department in general, I don't know about. I should think most departments have someone who can, for example, do a bit of spatial statistics on election data if that's your thing. There's political geography, and then there's political geography -- it is a very broad area, so maybe look even more specifically at particular faculty members' research interests. I actually applied to UIUC, but didn't hear a word from them (confirmation they'd received my application or otherwise). So, their courses must have appealed to me -- and 'political geography' is my main interest too -- but I'll be going elsewhere (to Kentucky!!!).

Are rankings even published for geography programs?

I agree with what Andrew said about researching the interests (and publications) of the professors at the schools that you're looking at. That's how I arrived at the schools that I applied to although now I wish I had cast an even broader net.

Florida State has a cluster of faculty working on political geography (including their DGS)

Just to back up what brittdreams said -- look at their publications. If their last publication was a 1976 book review in the South East Nowhere Journal Of Nothing, chances are they're not exactly the world's leading authority in their area. "X has diverse interests across human and physical geography...", if it's not backed up with publications, probably translates to "X has bored the socks of everyone with the same Geography 101 course for the past 30 years, has slapped out a transparency with 'What is geography?' written on it for the 1st lecture in each of those 30 years, and has thoroughly enjoyed oggling students and relaxing throughout the long vacactions unencumbered with writing anything". By the same token, you could say our fictional character was so committed to teaching that (s)he eschewed adorning his/her ego through the continual regurgitation of the same banal literature review to underpin their latest "contribution" to some obscure journal, choosing instead to concentrate on helping the students. But what are the chances?

So, yes, I also think it's about active research in your area(s) of interest. But try emailing them -- if they've departed under a cloud you don't want to base your personal statement on "I'd really love to work with [bloke whose colleagues hated him, so he left]". Also, they may be trying to live down earlier research -- like a professor here who (literally) hates being reminded that before he was a trendy poststructuralist he was churning out mutliple regression models of census data.

Building on what Andrew said, some professors aren't doing research in an area anymore but it isn't because they aren't interested in it. Sometimes they do what they get funding to do. There's a prof I'm interested in working with at one school that doesn't do research in that area anymore but is still eager and willing to work with me.