Geography

rising_star

Yes, absolutely right -- I hadn't thought of that. If there were any doubt about the role funding plays I think you only have to look at how many academics are now so deeply excited about churning out endless papers on climate change -- always with the conclusion that, not only are we all most probably going to die, but that we need more research (=money) just to make sure we're clear precisely when and how it will happen. Cynicism's not what it used to be... wait, that's nostalgia. Well, neither one is any use then :D

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Climate change research annoys the hell out of me. I mean, we have no way of accurately contextualizing annual temperature change because temperature recording dates back 150 years, at most. Seems kinda ridiculous, particularly given that we infer that the earth periodically gets warmer and cooler. I mean, the Medieval times were known for being colder (which might explain the dearth of good literature from that epoch). I digress...

Going on visits to a couple of schools at the end of this week. Still waiting to hear from the University of Miami. I'd love to go there, for the weather if nothing else. Last I checked, they hadn't even met. :shock: I plan to email them on Monday since AAG ends today...

Wow, finally someone who agrees with me!

(Rant section)

Absolutely true -- we have about 30 years of satellite data; we don't even have ocean-based records for much more than the past century, and the "long term" records that exist are so skewed towards the northern hemisphere land masses (with encroaching urban areas, changing thermometer technology, etc, etc) it's ridiculous. The whole climate change myth/exaggeration put me off physical geography which I used to like -- it's way more political than any kind of human geography however critical/radical/marxist/conservative, which positively encourage dissent and debate. Climate change -- or rather anthropogenic climate change -- is an article of faith to them, and it's scary.

It told me everything I needed to know when I asked two questions of my "expert" tutor in my first year, and was told I was being "irrational". 1. Since geological records show that temperature has previously been higher with lower concentrations of CO2, and lower with higher concentrations, why do we assume a simple relationship between higher CO2 and higher temperature? Not only that, but what on earth do they imagine as the independent source of CO2 that caused such massive variations in the absence of greedy capitalists and their evil SUVs? It seems more logical to me that temperature actually drives CO2 emissions, but that's unfounded speculation (like the rest of it). 2. How would driving an economical car or taking the bus help? If you look at the figures, anthropogenic CO2 emissions are approximately 2% of the annual ocean-atmosphere exchange. Of that, a fraction (let's exaggerate and say 50%) is due to transport. So, we halve our car journeys. And save 50% of 50% of 50% of 2% -- or 0.5% of the total CO2 emissions. And of course the climate models are SO precise that we know that somewhere within that 0.5% is the tipping point to oblivion. Yeah right. Which is why, no matter how old and battered it is, I plan to get myself at least a 3.5 litre car -- two fingers to the environmentalist sheep.

Another thing -- all the "research" they spew out saying "10% of species to be extinct by 2010" or similar. Well, it's hard to disagree when their starting assumption is that half the world will be drowning in boiling water. And it's all our fault. If only we all lived in caves and ate muesli.

(ends rant)

Which schools are you visting? Miami and... Georgia?... Ohio? Have you heard from all the ones you applied to now? [edit -- except Miami]. I have a twin brother who is probably going to end up at UGA (in Athens I think), but that's for a soft subject lol -- political science. So, your easter/spring break starts pretty early (?) -- I still have 2+ weeks :(.

Oh, I was going to say about Kentucky (which is where I'm going)... They got back to me and said that my funding would be a fellowship rather than an assistantship -- which is good from the point of view that it's worth slightly more -- but I'm slightly "disappointed" in a way. Hopefully I'll also have the chance to get some TA/RA-type experience even if I'm not contractually obliged to do 20 hours a week of it. But to be honest, I was half expecting to be rejected from everywhere (or at least assumed [wrongly] to be some wealthy foreign cash cow), so getting into Kentucky is taking some time to get my head around! In a good way.

I got into Kentucky too but no funding decisions made yet....same goes for Syracuse. I did get into Kent State with a full ride, BUT they are telling me decide by Apr. 1 which is not making me a happy camper.

Just go ahead and say yes then turn them down if you find out from somewhere else.

Agree. I didn't think they were allowed to force you to answer before April 15?? I guess you could accept and then decline as many offers as you wanted up until then. Are you waiting for other decisions?

But about Kentucky... maybe the letter got lost in the mail. Because I was being impatient, they attached the "letter" to an email and it was dated March 3. So maybe you could email them to find out before your April 1 "deadline".

Yeah, I'm waiting for funding decisions from Syracuse (along with UKY). When I got the acceptance letter from Syracuse, I was told that I need to inform them of other financial decisions from other schools and I did that. I told the grad director about Kent State's offer and when I had to accept it and he wasn't happy. He said the school violated the Apr 15 deadline rule and even sent me an e-mail with the link to the rules pertaining to that. I guess I'll just do what you guys suggested.

I got my notification of admission from Kentucky on Feb. 24 via e-mail. They never sent me an actual letter. Hopefully both schools will tell me about money which will help me out. Last week I went to Kent State and liked what I saw, but I don't want to rule out the other schools either.

Hey all,

just returning from the Ohio State visit. I was impressed and am now seriously considering the school. The profs were surprised that I hadn't applied to better programs (specifally U Wisconsin-Madison). Any last minute suggestions on things I should say or ask UGA tomorrow?

Also, finally found out about funding at OSU. It's a fellowship for the first year and guaranteed TA/RA for 3 years after that, assuming I continue on to the PhD.

A question to ask at Georgia. My brother has been offered a place there for political science, and the MA (and funding) is 21 consecutive months -- i.e. he has to have a full load of courses for the summer semester. That might just be politics, but if it would bother you, you could ask if that's the case for geography. Congratulations on OSU by the way!

sad1584, have you spoken to/emailed anyone at Kentucky? They seem to reply very quickly and politely (unlike some). I was thinking it might be better, rather than waiting, to ask Kentucky and Syracuse about their funding decisions. That way you would almost guarantee having all the information before April 1, so that if you do end up going to Kent State you won't have to antagonize them by waving some official agreement in their faces.

I called the grad director a week after I got in Kentucky but I didn't get much info pertaining to money decisions. I'll try again though considering I called them waaaay before I heard something from Kent State. I called Syracuse last week and the grad director was not pleased to say the least about the Kent State deadline and went on about the whole deadline rule. He said he would contact me as soon as he hears something. I hope all this stuff settles itself out within due time (before April 1st that is). I just want know all of my options before making a decision.

Talked to Kentucky an hour ago...they gave me the same information as before saying their funding situation is real tight and it will be mid to late april to say the least. They said at best I could be eligible for a particular fellowship which seems real nice from what I've seen.

As for where I want to go to school if given financial offers from UKY and/or Syracuse...have no idea at all. I don't have a first choice school and am keeping all my options open. Maybe draw out of a hat?

The UGA 21-month thing is what I have too. However, you can be enrolled in independent study or research type things instead of taking actual courses during the summer. Or at least, that's what I've been told.

I'm a bit less impressed by UGA than I thought I'd be. We'll see how dinner with the grad students tonight goes.

I'm a bit less impressed by UGA than I thought I'd be. We'll see how dinner with the grad students tonight goes.

I hope it goes/went well. At least by visiting some of the places you've applied to you have something concrete to base your decision on beyond a website and half a dozen emails. Unlike me... going by instinct.

sad1584, just get a 3-sided coin and flip it -- simple :). Good luck with Kentucky -- it sounds positive at least. But the dates are a bit weird aren't they? As in late. Mid to late April sounds like after April 15, which is a bit dodgy in terms of your other offers.

Heard from Ohio State about funding (still haven't gotten my official acceptance letter...). I got offered a fellowship that guarantees funding for the first year and virtually guarantees it for up to 3 more years if I decide to finish the MA and begin the PhD there.

Really unsure of whether to go to Ohio State or UGA. I think Florida State is out of the running now...

Definitely colder in Ohio than it is in either Georgia or Florida. Though there are professors I want to work with at both schools, I'd get to work with Kevin Cox if I went to Ohio State and that's kinda appealing. Now that all three of my financial offers are the same, I have no clue how I'm going to decide. *sigh* Any advice?

Seems like I'm going to Kent State. Called Syracuse this morning and they said getting a GAship is a long shot due to a lot of the MA students staying for a PhD. Sort of happy it happened that way because it definately helped me make up my mind and I was sort of leaning towards Kent State anyway given how well my visit went. :D

Greetings to all! I am applying for a Ph.D. in Geography specializing in population geography (migration and urbanization). Basically, I will be going to the US will a Fulbright grant and right now, I am patiently waiting for the placement decisions of the US institutions that IIE-Fulbright applied me to: UCLA, U Minnesota, U Georgia, Indiana University and U Maryland. When do most application decisions come out? So far (based on what was relayed to me), Indiana, U Georgia and U Maryland have sent placement notices (though not personally to me) but I am still waiting for the results from UCLA and U Minnesota. Is there a correlation between rejection and delayed admission notices? Anybody who applied to UCLA (bec. I would like to work with Dr. Clark and Dr. Fan) and U Minnesota? Since I did not personally send my apps and I did not create online application accounts, I don't have access to the results of my applications online.

-Sonny

Welcome Sonny!

I know of a couple of people that have heard from Minnesota but they didn't apply through IIE-Fulbright. So I'm not sure if that helps you or not.

Are you interested in working with Andy Herod at U of Georgia?

Guest Orhan and the Red

Hi sonny,

well, this is not really a mail that will help you much...

I have been browsing through fulbright for some time and have not been able to locate a fellowship that may fund international candidates for their PHds in the US. None of the Hubert Humphreys, east-wests or the professional development fellowships seem to fit in. Can you tell me which fellowship are yuo applying through? I dont know where you are from... I'm a "third- world" candidate.

best

Guest guesty guest
Greetings to all! I am applying for a Ph.D. in Geography specializing in population geography (migration and urbanization). Basically, I will be going to the US will a Fulbright grant and right now, I am patiently waiting for the placement decisions of the US institutions that IIE-Fulbright applied me to: UCLA, U Minnesota, U Georgia, Indiana University and U Maryland. When do most application decisions come out? So far (based on what was relayed to me), Indiana, U Georgia and U Maryland have sent placement notices (though not personally to me) but I am still waiting for the results from UCLA and U Minnesota. Is there a correlation between rejection and delayed admission notices? Anybody who applied to UCLA (bec. I would like to work with Dr. Clark and Dr. Fan) and U Minnesota? Since I did not personally send my apps and I did not create online application accounts, I don't have access to the results of my applications online.

-Sonny

hey sonny,

i got my MA in geography @ UCLA. let me know if you have any questions about the program.

Greetings! Is the 1995 NRC Ranking of Geography Departments good enough to depict the quality of Geography Departments in the US? What Departments have gone up several notches since then?

http://www.geog.psu.edu/news/nrc.html

Pennsylvania State University

University of Wisconsin-Madison

University of Minnesota

University of California-Santa Barbara

Ohio State University

University of California-Berkeley (tie for 6)

Syracuse University (tie for 6)

University of California-Los Angeles

Clark University

University of Washington

State University of New York-Buffalo

University of Colorado

Rutgers

University of Texas-Austin

Arizona State University

University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign

University of Iowa

Louisiana State University

University of Arizona

University of Kentucky

University of Georgia

Univeristy of North Carolina-Chapel Hill

Johns Hopkins University

University of Florida

Indiana University

University of Kansas

Boston University

University of Oregon

University of Maryland-College Park

University of Hawaii-Manoa

University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee

University of Nebraska-Lincoln

Oregon State University

University of Utah

Kent State University

University of Cincinnati

Although I did try to look at this list and somehow use it as one of the my application criteria, I focused more on the quality of my specialization - number of faculty members, graduate students in the same field and research projects.