I applied to 11 (10 Marketing, 1 Social and Decision Science) programs last year. Surprisingly, it was only the "safety" schools that rejected me. I got into all the ones I expected to be reaches.

This is the type of thinking I need right now!

Hello Everyone, thanks for starting this thread. It's good to connect with fellow applicants. Now I''ll share my profile as well. It's probably not as good as it should be. but I'm shooting for the black swan here.

Type of Undergrad: Pharmaceutical Sciences - Top University in Cairo, Egypt (GPA: 2.75)

Type of Grad: MBA with a major in HR/Leadership and Marketing. Top Business School in Cairo, Egypt (GPA: 3.45)

GRE: Score not out yet. but according to the averages, >1500

Research Experience: worked as a research assistant for a year didn't do much research but worked on many projects with the faculty.

LORs: From the Dean of School of Business, the Chair of Management Department and the last one from the Associate Dean of Graduate Studies. They are supposed to be the top business scholars in Egypt, emphasis on supposed.

SOP: I think it's well written.

Schools: 11 programs (8 PhDs, 3 MAs) I went mainly with good fit regardless of school prestige.

PhDs: Uni of Utah, Rutgers, UMich, Uni of Washington and others

Masters: Queen's University. Tilburg University, Columbia QMSS.

That's pretty much it. I know my profile is sub-par for most of these schools. but again, I think it's worth a shot.

Good Luck to all of us.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The suspense is kinda killing me~!!!!

I really just applied to throw it out there and see if I get any offers. However, I do want to teach and I'm having a hell of a time finding any CC adjunct positions as a master's level I-O psychologist...

I've read that these programs may request an interview, does anyone know what that entails? I guess getting into one of these programs is a big deal. Best of luck to everyone! I'll be sure to let you all know as soon as I hear anything. It is strangely quiet now...when I was applying three years ago there seemed to be more going on?

Regards,

Mike

The suspense is kinda killing me~!!!!

I really just applied to throw it out there and see if I get any offers. However, I do want to teach and I'm having a hell of a time finding any CC adjunct positions as a master's level I-O psychologist...

I've read that these programs may request an interview, does anyone know what that entails? I guess getting into one of these programs is a big deal. Best of luck to everyone! I'll be sure to let you all know as soon as I hear anything. It is strangely quiet now...when I was applying three years ago there seemed to be more going on?

Regards,

Mike

seriously man! I hope the invites come out soon!!

has anyone here applied to the Purdue (Krannert) OBHR program? I am wondering if anyone has received any word positive or negative yet???

I also applied to this program. I heard that someone has got an interview last week.

Have you heard anything from them? I heard a rumor that they made offers last week.

Yes. I also heard that they've made decisions last Friday. I think it might be true. I'm waiting for the rejection. hah.

What is going on??? I did see someone posted an interview for Berkeley last week...

Seems like some pretty knowledgeable people following this thread and commenting (btw thanks), so here's the question:

Is no news good news?

My friend and I (both I-O psych) have talked about a theory of how being contacted later in the game for jobs, specifically, means that you're a backup in case the top candidate doesn't accept an offer. This supposed theory can obviously be completely incorrect depending on situational factors of course, but is there anyone who thinks there's a time frame where, if you haven't been contacted whatsoever, you're dead in the water (when would that be, e.g., 1-2 weeks into March)?

Love to hear some insight, and maybe one of us will be contacted while we over-analyze every angle of applying for PhD programs!

-Mike

What is going on??? I did see someone posted an interview for Berkeley last week...

Seems like some pretty knowledgeable people following this thread and commenting (btw thanks), so here's the question:

Is no news good news?

My friend and I (both I-O psych) have talked about a theory of how being contacted later in the game for jobs, specifically, means that you're a backup in case the top candidate doesn't accept an offer. This supposed theory can obviously be completely incorrect depending on situational factors of course, but is there anyone who thinks there's a time frame where, if you haven't been contacted whatsoever, you're dead in the water (when would that be, e.g., 1-2 weeks into March)?

Love to hear some insight, and maybe one of us will be contacted while we over-analyze every angle of applying for PhD programs!

-Mike

Agree. this is what I think. I got an interview in Mid Jan and heard of nothing after that. For sure I consider myself rejected...

One exception may be that if the prof told you to wait a month, then just wait a month.

Senior international student

2.5 years' research assistantship

1 accepted paper (good paper but not top tier), 1 accepted poster for SIOP

GPA:3.7/4.0

GRE: 680+800+3(too low)

TOEFL:110

I am quite upset now. No interview or offer.

It sucks. :mellow:

Edited by annia_lee