any "what are you going to do now" fantasies?

katanianQ

So if/when the much anticipated letter of acceptance to your dream school with full funding arrives, what's the first thing you will do?

No, I won't go to Disney World (although that new promotion they're running is oh so tempting!)

I'll walk over to the crazy lady in my office who tries to make me feel like crap every day, toss my hair, and casually mention, "So, 'Lurlene,' I hope you'll be ok here without me next year because I AM GOING TO DO MY PH.D AT HAAH_VUUHD. Tootles!"

Then I will jump on the motorcycle that happened to be idling in the office and speed down the hallway while from some invisible speakers K.T. Tundstull is singing "Suddenly I See."

Nevermind that I didn't even apply to Harvard. I just like to imagine the possibilities.

I will go into work cheering and dancing, race up to the PI's office and show him the letter, sign up for the Head Start program (assuming this is Emory) so I can start in June, turn in my notice to the apartment complex, buy a few six packs of Guinness, get a bunch of friends over and drink and play Wii.

Well, my little daydream isn't nearly as fabulous as any of yours...but I'm *really* looking forward to rejoining Facebook under the network of my prestigious new school! Ah, I can see it now: "Yale Grad Student '15" (just an arbitrary school from my crazy list). I can think of a few former classmates from undergrad that will be green with envy, muhahaha! :D

I will put on the soundtrack to Return of the King, extremely loudly, and cry in my kitchen in glee. Ever since I started this process my best friend has referred to it as a quest, and it really is!

And Tinyboss... if I get either of my three top choices, you can just send that yummy winterwear over my way. :wink:

I have a bottle of Champagne chilling in the fridge. It will get opened with the first acceptance I receive. I will then run down the hall to my best friend, and as she opens the door and sees the bottle, we will both start screaming like 13 year old girls. After that, there will be a bottle for each acceptance with full funding - at least until I run out of champagne (4 bottles waiting).

I think a nice dinner and with friends and wine will be in order...a time to reflect with joy before stressing about the next part...

Lately, I've been stressing about the parts after getting accepted and I have to STOP and remind myself that striking out is a real possibilty --

Since I've gotten this far in the daydreaming, I can tell I'm going to be crushed when I don't get in somewhere... :(

Being a bit of a dreamer...My plan is to quit my job in June, hop on a plane to some destination in Africa, volunteer for 4 months with a random organization and look foward to buying school supplies in the fall

I'll make plans (can't follow through till after May!) to build a bonfire, and burn my heavy gloves, earflap hat, thick jacket, and snow boots.

Be a dear and donate those items to the needy. Maybe burn a mockup just for the experience?

Be jealous of everyone who has a clear top choice! If I get admitted to more than one school my life will become even more stressful than it is now.

I totally understand. That's how I felt last year. Luckily, I got to visit several of the departments, which helped me rule them out.

Ring home, go a bit crazy then pop some champagne I've got idling in the fridge :D

The next more rational step will be to go in and get advice from my LOR profs about where to go, if I somehow get offered more than one place. I'm not sure I will, but after a good interview for a scholarship for one of my top 3 choices on Saturday I'm feeling a bit more confident about getting offered something. Like other people have said, there is still the possibility of striking out completely, but it's hard not to daydream when you've put this much emotional capital into something!

If I did get more than one acceptance, that would be extremely stressful, particularly if it's from a big-West Coast vs my preferred location of East coast...

I will breathe a giant sigh of relief....email my father that his daughter's been accepted to a big ten school. (We're talking best case scenario here, right?) I will buy a nice bottle of pinot noir, a thick steak, the fixin's for a great salad, and a great big deep dark chocolate bar (all from whole foods). Make dinner for my husband and daughters, put the girls to bed and watch cashcab while slightly buzzed from my second glass of wine. Then I'll weep silently into my pillow as I realize i will never have to wait tables again....

(i have to say here, that there is another possiblity beyond the big ten school, but that would mean funding from a school that is known for it's lack of funding. And while i am confident, I am not crazy...but if said school gave ME the funding, I would scream until I couldn't scream anymore. I would book a flight to Minneapolis and throw my hat in the air. Then I would spend days in stunned silence with a stupid grin on my face.)

First, I will light up the Cuban Cohiba that I've been nursing for this purpose and take a most satisfying puff.

Second, I will go and collect from the guy in my office that's running the book of where I will/will not get in. Most people (who are very smart for doing so I might add, but this is fiction) have been against my first choice, so it'll be a nice little haul.

Third, I will go and sincerely thank the people that wrote my letters of recommendation and inform some of the people in my office that need to know this so that I won't be stepping on toes when the time comes.

Fourth, I will buy a midget named Jorge. Jorge is the Champion of Graduate School Admissions! Jorge and I will walk around campus, brandishing my acceptance letters and inviting randomers to my house for a festive dinner party that will inevitable devolve into an orgy representing both little- and regular-sized people. Legs and arms everywhere, but my grip will remain firm on my acceptance letter.

Then, my first choice will hear that I have hired Jorge the Champion of Graduate School Admissions and that I used him to have an orgy at my house. They will immediately retract their offer, and so Jorge and I will be destitute. As my contract with Jorge runs through April 15, he will be stuck with me as I go into my blue period. I will write short stories about an anonymous tragic hero named "him" and very bad haiku about the inevitability of death. Jorge will spend his time knitting. As my landlord will have kicked me out by now (I have no idea why), Jorge and I will be stuck living at the YMCA. I will spend my time racking up new high scores on Ms. Pac Man and plotting elaborate sabotage schemes for the old men's morning water polo game.

And then, on April 14, a letter postmarked February 10 or so will arrive at my box at the Y. Jorge will spot it and run up to me as I sit at the foot of my bed, now bloated and bearded. He will hand me the letter, addressed from my top choice. It will have only two words: "just kidding!" "Indeed!" I bellow happily, immediately standing tall and 30 lbs. lighter with a nice shave. "Jorge," I shout, "we need to recruit talent for another celebratory orgy! But this time, frame it as a Trivial Pursuit party!" Jorge will go pick up new Trivial Pursuit cards (because really, is there anything worse than the old ones that ask about The Fresh Prince?) and a Value Pak of roofies. "Delightful!" I declare in my new English accent as I pull on my freshly-tailored velvet suit.

The game played, the booze drunk, the roofies used, the velvet suit stained (dammit!), the orgy had, Jorge will watch as the clock strikes midnight. It is now April 15. He quickly writes the letter letting my top choice know that I will be attending and approaches me in my drunken, sweaty stupor, tugging at my sleeve. "It is time for me to go, Mister Pete," he will say (even though my name isn't Pete). We share a tearful embrace complete with me lifting him to heights he's never known. Then, he walks away...except when he does, he DISAPPEARS into the cornfield.

Jorge, my Champion of Graduate School Admissions, was a magical nymph the entire time.

And THAT is more likely than me getting into my first choice.

Well, I got into Wisconsin-Madison today. That's my post on the results board. I called my family, friends, and advisor, then promptly went out to happy hour. Wooooo margaritas! I was so excited. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for everyone else here though.

Congratulations!!! Very happy for you! :)