any "what are you going to do now" fantasies?

katanianQ

I will take a day off work to booze and go shopping for warmer clothing, not necessarily in that order, then I'll drunk facebook my ex to tell him what d*** he is for calling me dumb. Then I'll make some bad decisions at a bar so I'll get them all outta my system before starting in the Fall. Did I mention I'd booze?

I think about the what will i do when i get accepted question all the time. I have a list...in no particular order

-cry (of relief and happiness)

-call father

-notify and thank LOR writers

-make a big post on facebook

-call all my other friends still waiting and try not to gloat but still let them know

-open and drink the entire bottle of champagne in my fridge

-call all of my friends and have everyone go out and get very very drunk!!!

I will take a day off work to booze and go shopping for warmer clothing, not necessarily in that order, then I'll drunk facebook my ex to tell him what d*** he is for calling me dumb. Then I'll make some bad decisions at a bar so I'll get them all outta my system before starting in the Fall. Did I mention I'd booze?

:lol: I can't believe the third step in your admit fantasy involves rubbing it in your ex-boyfriend's face, via facebook no less. He must have gotten under your skin pretty well.

Scream, sit in disbelief for a while, have someone read and re-read my letter/e-mail of acceptance so I know I'm not imagining things, call my parents, tell my friends, think about how awesome my drive across country is going to be, figure out how soon I can quit my job without going in to poverty before the school year starts, etc, etc, etc...

That's pretty much what I know would happen. I guess my fantasy would consist of getting a call from my top school, having them tell me I'm accepted on a full ride, I quit my job and buy a plane ticket to New Zealand and travel around the country until August at which time I come back to the US, pack up my stuff and spend a month driving across country to school :D

I didn't post because I didn't know where I'd be when I heard the news. I imagined that my response would be different depending on whether I was home, or at school, etc.

Here's what actually happened:

Got a feeling I should check my email. Found an acceptance email with funding offer.

Called my husband over to read.

Emailed current PI the good news.

Went on loooooong walk with my sweetie while we discussed the logistics of moving. Note that, at no point during the 1+ mile walk did my feet ever touch the ground. :D

So, not quite the wild reaction I would have predicted.

If I didn't have to worry about getting a job in academia after grad school (read: I really ought to go to a higher-ranked school), and if I weren't concerned because there's no community college in Missoula for my kids to attend, it would be my top choice. They have a very strong focus on environmental chemistry--don't think I've seen quite as good a program elsewhere. (Davis comes close, though.)

I'm not sure what my top choice is but I'm glad Montana is going to be one of my options!

The one thing I know I'll do is never come back to thegradcafe again after this is all over. I'm driving myself crazy refreshing the results page over and over and I just want it to be done. It's a great site, but I'm looking forward to my independence.

I envision myself jumping around alot - Then I'll run around the block, call every person I know, and begin introducing myself as "doctor" to everyone I see. I'll then quite my job in the near future and volunteer somewhere abroad for a few months.

Can't wait!

While wearing my Haaavad tie and nothing else.

Seriously. I live in Bangkok. Each girl costs less than a martini at a Manhattan bar.

yeah well for drinks in manhattan these days, you may very well have to remortgage your house.

plus... in bangkok, dont you mean 'ladyboy'?

Just one acceptance is all I need. My girlfriend and I are going to quit our jobs and take a 3 week road trip from Winnipeg to St. John's, visiting my old university friends and stomping grounds. We'll also be taking advantage of the low Canadian dollar to eat at some very nice restaurants and stay at some very nice hotels. I cannot wait to be back home, if only for a few weeks.

Almost as sweet will be saying goodbye to this midwestern town. It's going to hard leaving my coworkers and friends behind, but I cannot wait to relocate to somewhere civilized.

I'm surprised that I had not thought to stock the fridge with Champagne...I'll have to stop by the liquor store after work.