You can check out the competition statistics here http://www.sshrc-crs.../index-eng.aspx broken down by province, institution at time of application, institution at time of award, year of study, etc...

If you applied through your institution, you are looking at the A-list only column. The chances seem to be about 50/50.

Edited by wheatGrass

At Carleton we got a letter in December informing us on whether our application was forwarded to SSHRC or not. Mine was. I already got SSHRC for my MA and that was pretty straight forward. But I assume the process for the doctoral awards is a lot more complicated. Seems that if you get forwarded for an MA SSHRC, you're almost guaranteed to get it.

For the doctoral awards being forwarded seems to only mean getting into the competition, you can still get rejected.

What are the chances of being forwarded by the university and then rejected by SSHRC?

Benefit of Carleton is that they don't reduce their offer of funding if you get the SSHRC. You get to keep it all.

Re: bolded question. This is exactly what happened to me last year (well, I got "waitlisted" not "rejected" but since I never got off the waitlist, it pretty much didn't matter what it was called!). lol

Hi all. This is my first go-round with SSHRC and it's painful!

I got an email from my university saying they had not forwarded my application. Then, I got an email from SSHRC asking me to correct a clerical error in my application. Is this a weird sort of good news, ie my application made it to SSHRC anyway, because why would they bother with this if I had no chance? Or do they track rejected applications that never make it to them?

Hi all. This is my first go-round with SSHRC and it's painful!

I got an email from my university saying they had not forwarded my application. Then, I got an email from SSHRC asking me to correct a clerical error in my application. Is this a weird sort of good news, ie my application made it to SSHRC anyway, because why would they bother with this if I had no chance? Or do they track rejected applications that never make it to them?

Oh that would drive me crazy! That is very strange.... sorry I can't be oh help.

Yeah... well it's the first time I try. I applied for the Joseph Armand Bombardier master scolarship in october, I had not completed my bachelor (I just started my master). So maybe they prefered to send the applications of people who were already in the master degree

SSHRC postdoc results have started to come out. That probably means doctoral awards are next but I bet it's still ast least six weeks.

Is this earlier than usual ?

heya,

Just so I am clear - if you applied directly to the SSHRC and you do not make the 'A' list via direct application then you will be notified anytime this month saying "sorry try again if you can handle the stress of fitting 900000 words onto a postage stamp" but if you DO make the grade, then you hear nothing until April - May when you will either get the above response or a "get out your party hat, champ" msg (or of course option C - 'waiting list'). Is this right? So hearing nothing in Feb is a GOOD thing?

You will hear in February whether you are on the A list or the B list. So, regardless of your status, you will hear from SSHRC in February.

Is this only if you applied directly to SSHRC? I've applied a few times (waitlist... waitlist...) though my uni, and after the initial confirmation in January, have never heard anything from SSHRC until April/May. Until I started checking out GradCafe, I'd never heard about this A/B list.

Is this only if you applied directly to SSHRC? I've applied a few times (waitlist... waitlist...) though my uni, and after the initial confirmation in January, have never heard anything from SSHRC until April/May. Until I started checking out GradCafe, I'd never heard about this A/B list.

I'm pretty sure they're referring to people who applied directly to SSHRC. You already know you've been forwarded by your uni, we don't know anything yet. Though I think people who are forwarded by their uni will get a standard "we've received your application" email when SSHRC gets it, but you won't hear anything substantive until the final decision.

Is this earlier than usual ?

I think February is considered normal for post docs, but in some years they have bene late an only arrived in March, pushing back the doctoral awards.

I heard from SSHRC by email that they received my application on Nov 7, 2011 (which was the deadline for the applications). I have not heard from SSHRC since. Some of my friends applied through the university (U of Manitoba) and received notifications whether they have been A- or B-listed in January or late December. It would be only fair if the direct applicants received similar notifications, so I would assume they are coming to us shortly.

Hi everyone,

I just logged in to the SSHRC application website to check my status; to my surprise, my application form has been removed, and instead it reads "Nothing to display" in the space where my form used to be available for viewing. My profile still exists, but my 2012 SSHRC application form has been removed.

I'm wondering if (a) this has happened to anybody else, and/or (be) whether anyone knows if this is normal? Perhaps once the competition has been "closed" the form is no longer available for viewing? Or, it could be that my application has been disqualified, and I'll be getting a disappointing letter in the mail very shortly!

Thanks for any help!

ps. I'm a direct applicant -- last I heard was confirmation of receipt of my complete application in November.

I just logged in to the SSHRC application website to check my status; to my surprise, my application form has been removed, and instead it reads "Nothing to display" in the space where my form used to be available for viewing. My profile still exists, but my 2012 SSHRC application form has been removed.

I'm wondering if (a) this has happened to anybody else, and/or (be) whether anyone knows if this is normal?

Hey there! Don't worry, this is perfectly normal. When I saw that my application had mysteriously vanished last year, I had a full-blown panic attack and called SSHRC. They said that once the competition is closed then the "application" is removed from the page. I hope this helps!

Anybody who applied directly to SSHRC get any news about their status in the mail? (A or B list)? Nothing for me so far...

me too, haven't heard anything. But I'm accepted already into my PhD program, so I know there's a least a bit of funding - plus most people don't get it their first year anyway...

me too, haven't heard anything. But I'm accepted already into my PhD program, so I know there's a least a bit of funding - plus most people don't get it their first year anyway...

Nothing in the mail today. *sigh*

I too have a few offers but I would love to know if I have a SSHRC or not - it would help me make a decision about which program to choose. One of the programs is in a much more expensive city.