Fall 2012 Chemistry

mcstev13

Awww is it you top choice? I'm trying really hard to stay neutral between all of my schools so I won't feel as bummed by ones that I am rejected to =)

Yeah it is, but you're right. It's stupid to get my hopes up. Even so, I'm hoping to get a nice little Christmas present from them. Based on the records from the past couple years, it looks like next week would be a good bet for the first round of decisions to come out.

Hi All =]

GPA: 3.75

University: Large Public Institution

Coursework includes entire graduate level synthesis curriculum (Grades B+ to A range)

GRE:

160 (86%) V

169 (98%) Q

4.5 (72%) A

770 (68%) Chemistry

Research:

Over two years research experience in known organometallics lab. Coauthoring two publications in progress (2nd & 3rd author). Presented at two national conferences. Prepped like 6 posters and presented in total 12 times. Two full time summer research experiences (Amgen Scholars & a smaller REU)

LOR: One is phenomenal (from my PI, and I think he has totally been pimping me out). One should be good to great (cowritten by a group of biology faculty sponsored by the Howard Hughes Medical Institute & that oversee my research fellowship). and One might be mediocre to good (written by a computational faculty with whom I worked on a image processing project with. I also took his class 3 times and ranked #1 out of 100 each time)

Target Programs (Planning to do Synthetic Organic Chemistry):

UC Berkeley

Columbia

Harvard

MIT

Stanford

Scripps

Looking at all of you has made me nervous! Best of luck to everyone though! But if you take my spot at Columbia I will hunt you down >:[

Target Programs (Planning to do Synthetic Organic Chemistry):

UC Berkeley

Columbia

Harvard

MIT

Stanford

Scripps

Looking at all of you has made me nervous! Best of luck to everyone though! But if you take my spot at Columbia I will hunt you down >:[

Your stats and research experience are really impressive! Also I'm glad to find someone else who isn't applying to any safeties :0

In other news, it seems like so many bio people are hearing (http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php) - not fair!

Your stats and research experience are really impressive! Also I'm glad to find someone else who isn't applying to any safeties :0

In other news, it seems like so many bio people are hearing (http://thegradcafe.c...urvey/index.php) - not fair!

Go big or go home right? Actually I figure this is my last chance to really earn a big name on my degree so if I don't get in I'd rather just wait a year and try again than go to a mediocre school. After you get a Ph.D. that's it right? :P

Go big or go home right? Actually I figure this is my last chance to really earn a big name on my degree so if I don't get in I'd rather just wait a year and try again than go to a mediocre school. After you get a Ph.D. that's it right? :P

Feel good now. I agree. Go big or go home. I only applied to 4 schools: Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley, and Caltech. I have been feeling a bit worried lately, but now I guess I feel much better. What will be, will be.

Hi guys,

Have any of you completed Berkeley's app? If so, what is listed for the status of your research summary when you go to look at the application status? I just have a dashed line. I know that I uploaded my summary and that it was < 10 mb, but this weird dashed line that I'm seeing has me worried. Sorry for being neurotic...

Hi guys,

Have any of you completed Berkeley's app? If so, what is listed for the status of your research summary when you go to look at the application status? I just have a dashed line. I know that I uploaded my summary and that it was < 10 mb, but this weird dashed line that I'm seeing has me worried. Sorry for being neurotic...

SpenzK: I was worried seeing the --- after i submitted my apps too. I thought i might have accidentally deleted the file (and many other ludicrous possibilities i could think of). But the status was updated to Received after a week or so. Don't worry :).

Hi guys, first time posting here (been lurking around for quite a while). I got my first admission to UIUC via email. It's a big relief cuz i only applied to 3 schools ( is there anyone else having such few schools on their list? ). I'm an international student. Good luck everyone!!! I'm hoping more people will have a nice Xmas gift this week.

Random Question:

What times in the day is it typical for people to hear back from schools??

I'm at that psychotic stage where I check my email and phone every 5 minutes....I would like to relax a bit more once 5pm or so if I have nothing to worry about lol.

Hmm... This is a few years old, but I got my first acceptance at about 9pm one night.... And then another at 11 am on a Saturday. And then another I finished the app at 7 one morning before I left home... When I checked my e-mail between classes at around 10 I had an acceptance. I really wasn't thinking I'd get one the same day.

So it varies. I think for a lot of programs it's whenever they have time to give you a call/e-mail.None of mine arrived when I was expecting them to.

Edited by Eigen

gr8 ......everybody getting acceptances so early ....especially internationals ..... nd I believe surprisingly most of the early acceptances are in organic chemistry ........

anybody applied to Univ. of Utah ?? if so plzz reply to this post !!!

I have a question regarding application process n all ..............

.........Got no response from Grad. Adms Officer for a week ...maybe he is on a holiday !!!!!!!

Edited by ah233