Waiting it Out on Canadian Universities - 2012

NoMoreABD

Does anyone know if Canadian schools are slower than American schools in processing applications? I know that some Canadian schools told me not to expect any news until March, and this seemed a little late.

Toooootally depends. Not just on a school by school basis, but program by program. For my MA application cycle: The deadline for the program I applied to at York was February 1st, I got the acceptance call the 1st week of March (online status changed that day, got the app package in the mail the next week). Though the decison was rendered in March, I thought that was a pretty impressive turn-around. I mean, I didn't hear back from U of T until mid-April (and their deadline had been in early January... AND it was a rejection!)

My experience on a Canadian admission commttee went like this (for a program that did not do rolling admits):

- 2 weeks after the deadline: apps are done being assembled and are placed in front of committee

- 2 weeks later: addcomm has come up with a ranked list of applicants, makes recommendation for admits.

- 1 week later: after conferring with available funding/spots available, offers start rolling out.

Again, context varies all over the place. It stands to reason that the speedier replies would take the form of offers of admission; but as illustrated by my experience with U of T, I wouldn't hold to that as a rule.

@samanthakl

Thanks :) Yes, I applied to the advanced standing which usually finds out decisions earlier than the 2yr stream. I cant help but wonder if I missed something in the application or I made a fantastic error....or the most obvious reason, my Gpa wasn't good enough. Well, it ain't over 'till it's over. I've got two more kicks at the can.

How they notified me: I got the letter in the mail today. Checked 'myfile' to confirm and sure enough, it had been updated. The letter was dated Jan 18th so they may have just updated the online status today. Actually, I wasn't checking it regularly so it might have even been updated last week...

I know that all social work programs in the GTA seem to be nutty-competitive. Good luck to you! :)

So guess who got rejected from York today.....MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

P.S. I cried all the way home lol

Oh! I'm so sorry to hear that! I hope you didn't cry for too long---I truly believe that everything happens (and doesn't happen) for a reason. Did you apply elsewhere? I'm hoping that my other two schools show some mercy and take a look at my full application. Although my Gpa isn't super, I have years of great experience.

From what I've read on other threads, York is kind of funny about who they admit....do you have any idea of why they might have overlooked you?

So guess who got rejected from York today.....MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

P.S. I cried all the way home lol

Oh! I'm so sorry to hear that! I hope you didn't cry for too long---I truly believe that everything happens (and doesn't happen) for a reason. Did you apply elsewhere? I'm hoping that my other two schools show some mercy and take a look at my full application. Although my Gpa isn't super, I have years of great experience.

From what I've read on other threads, York is kind of funny about who they admit....do you have any idea of why they might have overlooked you?

I cried on and off for a good half hour but I'm better now. Yes, I applied to the University of Calgary (for social work and counselling psychology), Wilfrid Laurier (social work), Ryerson (psych science), and McGill (counselling psych).

I'm assuming it was my gpa even though I have at least a B+ for my last two years. I bet they had very strong applicants with higher gpa's :(

I'm glad for you that the crying only lasted 30min :) Your gpa is good and you definitely have a good shot at any/all of the schools you have applied to. Once you have a solid Gpa, I think that it then becomes all about experience and 'fit'. If you are coming straight from undergrad, it is very hard to get relevant experience that 'speaks' to a particular university. Was York your first choice? You can also take comfort in knowing that people with high gpa's have been rejected from York in the past, only to be admitted to every other school they've applied to!

I cried on and off for a good half hour but I'm better now. Yes, I applied to the University of Calgary (for social work and counselling psychology), Wilfrid Laurier (social work), Ryerson (psych science), and McGill (counselling psych).

I'm assuming it was my gpa even though I have at least a B+ for my last two years. I bet they had very strong applicants with higher gpa's :(

I'm glad for you that the crying only lasted 30min :) Your gpa is good and you definitely have a good shot at any/all of the schools you have applied to. Once you have a solid Gpa, I think that it then becomes all about experience and 'fit'. If you are coming straight from undergrad, it is very hard to get relevant experience that 'speaks' to a particular university. Was York your first choice? You can also take comfort in knowing that people with high gpa's have been rejected from York in the past, only to be admitted to every other school they've applied to!

No York wasn't my first choice. I'm not sure if it will be easier or harder if more rejections start to roll in lol

Good that they weren't your first choice. According to the York U website, in 2010(?) they had 750 applicants in total (1yr, 2yr stream, part time) and they only admitted in a total of 80 students. Only 20 of those were for the 2yr program. Seriously, those make for horrific odds for getting in so I wouldn't take it too personally. Unlike me, you have a decent gpa which should get you in to a few of your choices for sure :)

No York wasn't my first choice. I'm not sure if it will be easier or harder if more rejections start to roll in lol

I just submitted my application for the MLA program at U of T on the 15th. One school, one program. Now I am worried because it sounds like I'm hearing from a lot of people that it often takes two tries to get into grad school. Crossing my fingers and trying not to dwell too much on what I would have done differently in retrospect!

My experience on a Canadian admission commttee went like this (for a program that did not do rolling admits):

- 2 weeks after the deadline: apps are done being assembled and are placed in front of committee

- 2 weeks later: addcomm has come up with a ranked list of applicants, makes recommendation for admits.

- 1 week later: after conferring with available funding/spots available, offers start rolling out.

U of T is quite efficient actually. My experiment of Mcmaster is that it took them 1 month+ to get together my file, and another full month to organize a committee meeting.. My POI is v. nice for keeping me updated, even though there's nothing to update.. WAIT IS EXHAUSTING!

• 2 weeks later...

I found out a couple of days ago that my Undergrad university (University of Victoria) has forwarded my MA application for a SSHRC onto SSHRC for final verification (aka. I'm (almost certainly) getting a SSHRC!). The Canadian University I applied to was UofT for their 1 year MA program in socio-cultural anthropology. Does anyone have any insight into that program? It's admission process/timeline? and/or how my application will be affected by getting a SSHRC? Should I tell them I've been forwarded for final verification? I'm antsy!!!

(Also, if there is an MA SSHRC 2012 thread going (I can't seem to find one) where I would be better off posting, please let me know!)

Does anyone know if Canadian universities send out rejections or acceptances first, or both at the same time? The wait is killing me, and I was told not to expect word for at least another month.

I know that for York University, they have already sent out rejections for my program, I saw it under the "results" here at GradCafe, I'm not sure if that means they send all the rejections first, or if they are going to go back and forth...not really sure how it works, but I do know that I have seen rejections for my program thus far and no acceptances. Hope this helps!

PS: I'm in the same boat, probably won't hear back until April I'm told....but if some schools are releasing decisions this early, they may be hope for us yet!

Edited by stephanie.ms.antunes

I found out a couple of days ago that my Undergrad university (University of Victoria) has forwarded my MA application for a SSHRC onto SSHRC for final verification (aka. I'm (almost certainly) getting a SSHRC!). The Canadian University I applied to was UofT for their 1 year MA program in socio-cultural anthropology. Does anyone have any insight into that program? It's admission process/timeline? and/or how my application will be affected by getting a SSHRC? Should I tell them I've been forwarded for final verification? I'm antsy!!!

(Also, if there is an MA SSHRC 2012 thread going (I can't seem to find one) where I would be better off posting, please let me know!)

I think there is a thread for the Bombardier CGS. But yeah, tell the programs you've applied to that your SSHRC application has been forwarded. They prefer if someone else funds you. ;)

The wait is going to be tough.

UAlberta - MA political science

McGill - MA political science

Queen's - MA political science

McMaster - MA political science

UWestern - MA political science

UWaterloo - MA political science

Best of luck to everyone!

Edited by fais202

I applied to the Political Science MA @ McGill. It's the only university I've applied to and the only one I would want to go to. Last year, decisions came out mid-March (around the 19-25th). I decided to email the graduate coordinator the other day about when decisions would be coming out this year and she told me "Late April to May". It's going to be a very long 2.5 months. :(

Carleton has 'March 15" as the date applications will begin being considered...ouch! Esp. considering files were due Jan 31st! That's a long time for me to be scaring myself by reading the impressive resumes of people REJECTED from the program last year. (It's my only application, too.)

Waiting for UBC (my top choice)

I realllllllyyyyyy want to go there, but my only concern is the student permit/visa process. Trying to study up on it and it scares me a bit to be honest.

Waiting for UBC (my top choice)

I realllllllyyyyyy want to go there, but my only concern is the student permit/visa process. Trying to study up on it and it scares me a bit to be honest.

My advice: get a good lawyer to handle it. Yes, it'll cost a few hundred bucks, but if you're an international student you must be pretty much loaded to even think about going to school here, plus it will cost you a lot less in the long run cause if you make any mistakes in the process you'll be screwed.

My advice: get a good lawyer to handle it. Yes, it'll cost a few hundred bucks, but if you're an international student you must be pretty much loaded to even think about going to school here, plus it will cost you a lot less in the long run cause if you make any mistakes in the process you'll be screwed.

It's actually cheaper for me then a lot of schools in the states..............Tuition is cheaper, on campus housing, bout the same.

All in all it would actually be cheaper then Washington-Seattle.

Hey everyone.

I'm waiting on:

York/Ryerson Communication & Culture

McMaster English & Cultural Studies

Memorial Folklore

(all PhD programs)

Waitlisted for Calgary's Creative Writing & English as of yesterday; not sure if that helps anyone. Good luck!

I know that for York University, they have already sent out rejections for my program, I saw it under the "results" here at GradCafe, I'm not sure if that means they send all the rejections first, or if they are going to go back and forth...not really sure how it works, but I do know that I have seen rejections for my program thus far and no acceptances. Hope this helps!

PS: I'm in the same boat, probably won't hear back until April I'm told....but if some schools are releasing decisions this early, they may be hope for us yet!

Hi Stephanie,

The YorkU MSW rejections that were sent out late January were from the office of admissions. They were going through each application making sure they met the minimum requirements before sending them off to the Faculty of Social Work. There's still a long wait left. I know someone who found out she was on the wait list in late March/early April, but it wasn't confirmed until May.