MPH CANADA FALL 2012 APPLICANTS

niche22

Hi everyone.

Do you know any forums/facebook groups/etc. where we can actually talk to current or past graduates of UBC MPH?

I'd really like to talk to someone and ask tons of questions about the program... research... extra-curriculars... practicum... etc..

I am not from BC and my UBC friends don't seem to know much about it either.

thanks.

First time posting on this forum.

I've applied to a slew of MPH programs for Fall 2012 and am finally starting to hear back. I received unofficial acceptance from Waterloo two weeks ago through a phone call. They said that the official letter can take weeks to arrive.

This evening, I also received an acceptance email from McGill. The deadline to accept or reject McGill's offer is March 30. Since it was my first choice, I will be accepting :)

First time posting on this forum.

I've applied to a slew of MPH programs for Fall 2012 and am finally starting to hear back. I received unofficial acceptance from Waterloo two weeks ago through a phone call. They said that the official letter can take weeks to arrive.

This evening, I also received an acceptance email from McGill. The deadline to accept or reject McGill's offer is March 30. Since it was my first choice, I will be accepting :)

what are your stats like? I also applied to waterloo and I haven't heard anything yet

Hi !

I also got an email yesterday from McGill: accepted ! However, it said that the program was MSC-N (instead of MscPH) in public health and that the program was being changed and will be 60 credits in the future ( instead of 54)

Today I got an email from UofT. They request me to send my official transcripts. My online status also changed to : Decision made. I guess it's a good sign... Any thoughts on that ?

Edited by Globule

Hi Globule,

I have also received an email from U of T today requesting official transcripts. I am inclined to believe that this is a good sign...maybe we've passed the first screening? I'm not really sure. Hopefully someone could shed some light on what this means! I'm getting pretty anxious

@ Misgengen : Yes EPI for me.

What let me think that it's positive is the fact that on my online application, my status changed to ''decision made'' and according to the legend this mean that: ''A decision has been reached for your application. You will receive a notification via mail with the details of the decision''

Also, I can't remember where I saw that, but I'm pretty sure that I read on UoT website that they only request official transcripts if we are accepted and that they base their decision on the scanned trancripts we sent them.

At the same time, it seems so early to have results compare to last year...

Hey guys,

I'm planning on applying to the UBC MPH program this upcoming year and wanted to know for those of you who have been accepted, what kind of gpas did you have (all 300/400 level)?

Thanks!

Hey guys,

I'm planning on applying to the UBC MPH program this upcoming year and wanted to know for those of you who have been accepted, what kind of gpas did you have (all 300/400 level)?

Thanks!

My GPA was not good... I had decent cGPA.. but my 300/400 level gpa was pretty low. I think I had just the cut off - 75% average... So actually I was quite surprised.. but I know I had really strong references, research, and extra-curriculars.

Edited by piccku

Hey guys,

Thanks!

I applied to UBC and was rejected with the equivalent of a 3.9/4 GPA in my 300/400 level classes. I know I had really strong reference letters, but not so strong extra curriculars (no research but I do a lot of "front line" health care volunteering). I guess my ECs must have done me in, I'm very disappointed :(

Hey guys,

Thanks!

Not such a strong GPA but a few years of relevant work experience with international organizations + really good references.

Hi everyone, Three days back i got a mail from U O Saskatchewan, I got accepted and i must wait for official letter of admission, it mat take a month or more. I hope many of you who had applied there must have got acceptance mail.

I am eagerly waiting for UBC and SFU.

Does anyone know about Msc in community health in UNBC.

Hi I also applied to University of Sask for MPH and the department has recommended me for admission to the CGSR. Its over 2 weeks now and havent heard anything from CGSR. You heard anything

Hi I also applied to University of Sask for MPH and the department has recommended me for admission to the CGSR. Its over 2 weeks now and havent heard anything from CGSR. You heard anything

Hi Anant, Congratulations, yeah I got recommendation mail on 25th Feb and letter of offer of admission from CGSR on 2nd March.

I hope you would get that any day, just drop a inquiry mail to admission office or call them ( Ms Tong or Ms Gayathri ).

I know many members of this forum are well versed with Canadian universities and I hope you guys would shed some light on saskatchewan MPH, U O Sask and Saskatoon. Thanks!

@ Dentist24 : was the official offer sent to your email also or did you receive it hardcopy? Please share the contents if you can.

I also got recommendation mail on the 23rd February but haven't got anything else nor heard from U of S.

Am also waiting on SFU so please do post when you're contacted by them.

@ Dentist24 : was the official offer sent to your email also or did you receive it hardcopy? Please share the contents if you can.

I also got recommendation mail on the 23rd February but haven't got anything else nor heard from U of S.

Just got accepted - SFU - Global Health Concentration!

Which school do you guys think is better in terms of the curriculum and research? UBC/SFU? I am really interested in maternal health.

Edited by piccku

Hi Ginni, I got mail from Associate Dean dated 2nd march giving link about fee &living expenses, it also students have to join two weeks intensive course Foundation in Public Health (PUBH 804) starting from 18th August.

They are sending Hard Copy by post. I am waiting for that.

I rechecked with them whether the mail from CGSR was offer letter or just a intimation and reply was, that was Offer Letter.

I got no updates from SFU. I would finish my clinical internship on 31st March. I am a fresher, have no experience what so ever, that may be the reason UBC didn't send me invitation. I am afraid SFU may not consider me for admission.

Thanks Dentist. I just got an email now from sfu that I've be waitlisted, but that they'll get back to me soon on my admission status. I pray I eventually get off the waitlist and into the program.

@ Dentist24 : was the official offer sent to your email also or did you receive it hardcopy? Please share the contents if you can. I also got recommendation mail on the 23rd February but haven't got anything else nor heard from U of S. Am also waiting on SFU so please do post when you're contacted by them.

Hello so what are you planning to do now. Did you contact the CGSR? Did you ask them for any verification.