MPH CANADA FALL 2012 APPLICANTS

niche22

Hey everyone,

just got an email from SFU. " We are pleased to inform you that we are recommending to the Dean of Graduate Studies that you be admitted to the MPH - Global Health in the Faculty of Health Sciences at Simon Fraser University. You can expect to receive a formal offer of admission by email in the next few weeks."

Hello Decar

I just want to ask about your status of application to Usask for MPH. Did you contact the college of graduate studies and research for any verification?

Thanks Dentist. I just got an email now from sfu that I've be waitlisted, but that they'll get back to me soon on my admission status. I pray I eventually get off the waitlist and into the program.

Hello Ginnie

Did you contact the CGSR to ask for your status of application. Please notify me on what did they say.

Thanks

Hii Everyone,

I did receive departmental reccommendation to U of S on Feb. 20th, and official offer by March 1st. So far they have been really nice in sending other information for an MPH student in U of S. I did receive an email yesterday that official letter should be in the mail this week. I am still waiting to hear from SFU too. U of M turned down my application due to one document not meeting their deadline.

If anyone has applied to U of T's MPH (Occupational and Environmental Health), I thought it would be helpful to put up a timeline of the correspondence I recieved last year: April 29 - Informal acceptance; May 11 - Formal acceptance; August 18 - Orientation package; August 29 - First day of class

In other words, not that much communication. So sit back and relax! Good luck to everyone, and congratulations to those who have already recieved acceptances elsewhere.

Regarding trying to contact current students, look up the student's associations website - the student representatives for the different streams/programs are usually listed. The one at U of T is called the Public Health Student's Association.

Thanks! How are you liking the program so far?

@ Picku and Jinja : congrats on your acceptance to SFU. I also applied for the Global Health concentration but is waitlisted. Please post information on your deadline for acceptance. Am praying to get off the wait list and into the program, so will like to know when to anticipate a reply on my final status as stated in their mail. Thank you.

Congratulations to all those who got acceptance letters from SFU, It seems i missed SFU seat. Anyway almighty must have secured one seat in one of good universities in canada.

Anant don't get panicky, you got accommodation letter from U O sask. They would certainly send you letter of offer.

Thanks Dentist. I just got an email now from sfu that I've be waitlisted, but that they'll get back to me soon on my admission status. I pray I eventually get off the waitlist and into the program.

Great, Congratulations, May God fulfill your wish.

What is your background Ginnie?

Well I got rejected from SFU - Global Health. Im quite bummed out about it, and to be honest, a little but suprised. I had emailed a long way back to make sure I shouldn't have also applied to the population health stream (I have no international experience, I just want to start doing Global Health), and was told applications are not differentiated based on preferred stream. I REALLY hope that was the case, and I didn't shoot myself in the foot by applying to the wrong section.

Oh well! One acceptance, one rejection, two more to go!

Well I got rejected from SFU - Global Health. Im quite bummed out about it, and to be honest, a little but suprised. I had emailed a long way back to make sure I shouldn't have also applied to the population health stream (I have no international experience, I just want to start doing Global Health), and was told applications are not differentiated based on preferred stream. I REALLY hope that was the case, and I didn't shoot myself in the foot by applying to the wrong section.

Hi Kdok, congratulation for acceptance from U O Manitoba, Did you get rejection mail or you presumed as rejection when you didn't get acceptance mail from SFU ?

Hi everyone !

I finally decided to suscribe to the forum !

I applied to:

UToronto- MPH EPI

McGill-MscPH

Université de Montréal- Maitrise santé communautaire

I just got an invitation for an interview at UMontréal.

I know there are not a lot of francophones here, but anyone else got an invitation from UMontréal ?

I also got an invitation for an interview at UdeM (last week).

I know that the interviews have already started - when is your interview? if you've done it already, could you please give me some insights? ^_^

Hi Lilac, I received my official acceptance email and mail. I was accepted on March 1st.

I also want to share that I was invited yesterday to do a 10min telephone interview with the Uni of Alberta MPH-Global Health focus. Is anyone else doing this? I am just wondering how it's going to be like... I don't know what you can say in 10min...

Congratulations to all those who got acceptance letters from SFU, It seems i missed SFU seat. Anyway almighty must have secured one seat in one of good universities in canada.

Anant don't get panicky, you got accommodation letter from U O sask. They would certainly send you letter of offer.

Hello Dentist.

I am just afraid that the CGSR might reject the offer. I am worried coz it is the only university I have applied to. Thanks alot though. I just pray to GOD that I get the offer.

Thanks

Hello Dentist.

I am just afraid that the CGSR might reject the offer. I am worried coz it is the only university I have applied to. Thanks alot though. I just pray to GOD that I get the offer.

Thanks

Hi Lilac, I received my official acceptance email and mail. I was accepted on March 1st.

I also want to share that I was invited yesterday to do a 10min telephone interview with the Uni of Alberta MPH-Global Health focus. Is anyone else doing this? I am just wondering how it's going to be like... I don't know what you can say in 10min...

Same here. 10 minute interview with UofA. Good Luck to us!

First time post.

Kdok - are you still waiting to hear back from UBC? I am and haven't heard anything, and it's making me anxious!

I also got an invitation for an interview at UdeM (last week).

I know that the interviews have already started - when is your interview? if you've done it already, could you please give me some insights? ^_^

Hi alwaysnew90 !

I just had my interview monday. First they asked me to write a little text on a question. It's about 20 min. Then I had an interview with 2 professors of the department. There is no trick question. They just want to know why you applied, what are your expectation of the program, where do you see yourself in 5-10 years, etc. It's more like a conversation.

Hope it helped you ! Fell free to PM me if you have more questions.

Globule

@misgengen

The OccEnv program at U of T is great - the research stream has a lot of flexibility. It is half course-based, half research-based. I decided to take mostly Epi courses in order to learn that skill set. For the research half, I'm doing one large thesis-like project instead of doing smaller research projects with different supervisors (also an option). I'm very happy I chose this program.

The Epi students have a full course load for the first year, spend the summer doing a practicum (research or practice-based), and then second year can be split between classes and practica.

Edited by JKim

Congrats epi2012!!!!

Montrealer I was told when I emailed the admissions folks several months ago that

All candidates were considered in one pool (irrespective of choice of stream). I'm hoping

that that is true ( or I would have applied to a different stream!), but it does seem like only

Global Health applicants have heard back, so who knows. Good luck though!