What do your days look like?

ewurgler

I am curious to know what other peoples' days look like during this waiting period?

Me: I am on gradcafe pretty much 24/7 at work, only occasionally actually working. I refresh the results page every 10 mins or so, refresh my email about every five minutes, have my phone right in front on me, and word document open with all of the area codes of schools I am waiting on.

Anyone else?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am curious to know what other peoples' days look like during this waiting period?

Me: I am on gradcafe pretty much 24/7 at work, only occasionally actually working. I refresh the results page every 10 mins or so, refresh my email about every five minutes, have my phone right in front on me, and word document open with all of the area codes of schools I am waiting on.

Anyone else?

Wow, that's intense. Except that I'm pretty much just like you except for list of area codes. About 5 minutes ago I got a call from a number I didn't recognize, and it was automated telling me that my car warranty was about to expire. My hands were shaking when I hung up. Isn't that dumb?

Anyway, I'm on here all day plus hitting refresh every 5 minutes on the results page hoping (or not hoping?) that political science results will FINALLY start going out. I should be doing work, but for some reason I just cannot focus - not for the life of me. And it's getting to the point now where I realize my days are becoming a waste!

On that note - maybe I should actually get off of here for at least 30 minutes to get myself together!

Anyone else?

Other than the area code list, I'm pretty much in the same spot, even though realistically I won't hear anything for a couple of weeks. It helps that work is really slow right now. Or doesn't help at all, depending on how you look at it. I'd feel worse about it if I had anything else to take up my time, but that's not really the case at this point.

I need to get me an area code list!

While I'm holding the fussy baby, I watch TV off the DVR w/the laptop nearby. I make myself wait until the commercials before refreshing everything and only give myself as long as the commercial lasts to read the boards.

I work about 2 hours a day away from all other stimulus.

The only other time I'm not near the laptop is when I'm changing diapers or feeding children...well, that and stories, 'airplane' rides, etc..

I am hitting 'refresh' much of each day too, but surprisingly my nerves have calmed down a bit ever since I found out that some of my schools notify later than I thought and I'm not actually likely to hear anything for a few weeks. I didn't think this would make a difference, but it has. I feel just a little less like jumping out of my skin.

PS, I would recommend getting an email client if you know how to set one up. I use Thunderbird and it saves me from having to "refresh" my email, because it checks automatically for me and makes a noise every time I get one.

Well, I used to refresh grad cafe at an insane frequency, until I found it was self-destructive. Hence, I found myself a place that had no internet connection to write the T*****, limiting my obsessing to "off work" hours. (but really, what's "off work" hours when I don't have "work hours"?)

Anyway, public holidays and weekends are bad for me. Need to get off this addiction! :)

I'm on gradcafe whenever I'm at the computer, which is most of the day since I'm on it at work as well. I go between checking for new messages and checking the results page. I look at my Gmail every couple of minutes.

I've been baking a lot. In the past week I've made chocolate chip cookies, chocolate cupcakes, sugar cookies, soft pretzels and homemade rye bread. It's a wonder I still fit into my pants, but I find the mechanisms of baking very soothing, so it really helps me keep calm. Otherwise I ruminate on what I could have done to make my applications suck less.

Oh! And horror movies, I've been watching a lot of foreign horror movies.

I'm on gradcafe whenever I'm at the computer, which is most of the day since I'm on it at work as well. I go between checking for new messages and checking the results page. I look at my Gmail every couple of minutes.

I've been baking a lot. In the past week I've made chocolate chip cookies, chocolate cupcakes, sugar cookies, soft pretzels and homemade rye bread. It's a wonder I still fit into my pants, but I find the mechanisms of baking very soothing, so it really helps me keep calm. Otherwise I ruminate on what I could have done to make my applications suck less.

Remember the first rule of baking - share with everyone!

I too have been cooking, but making TONS of soups and trying to perfect a french baguette with my pizza/bread stone. But, I don't end up eating very much as I feel really anxious/sick ALL the time. My pants are starting to hang off of me and my faced has thinned making my emerging wrinkles pretty apparent. Does anyone else feel like this process has caused them wrinkles? I'm 22 and I have seriously been noticing wrinkles in the past 6 months. Perhaps it is my stupid wrinkly anglo-saxon roots.

I have also been going to the movies like CRAZY!! For an escape film: definitely slumdog millionaire. For a sad and heart-wrenching film: THe Reader.

ooh, to fill the days I can recommend using netflix to watch back-to-back seasons of HBO or Showtime shows like Big Love or Dexter. Totally takes you away from it all!

Remember the first rule of baking - share with everyone!

If only there was some sort of technology to distribute cupcakes via the internet, we'd be all set. :wink:

I also have a countdown widget to March 1 on my mac's dashboard, since that's the first day I'm going to realistically expect anything.

No wrinkles yet, but grey hairs at 23!

I am a horror film aficionado, and there's a whole bunch of 'em coming up this month and next, so I'm all set for distracting myself. Also, the new season of Lost sure helps!

Wake up, change kid diaper, dress kid, feed kid, take kid to daycare, drive to work. At work it's probably a 70%/30% mix of work-related/web-surfing-and-emailing activity. Then...drive to daycare, pick up kid, go grocery shopping (gym if I'm lucky), entertain kid, bathe kid, feed self and kid, watch kid TV with kid, put kid to bed, clean, read/watch TV/get some work done. So, my mind is too occupied with other things to obsess over grad school too much :)

I'm still in school, but I only have two courses and a supervised study at the moment. Class is just on Wednesday and Thursday and right now I'm waiting on ethics clearance for my project before I can actually do anything. So things *seem* pretty chill. But I still have tons of reading to do for class (most of it terribly boring, ugh), I sit on three committees (two university governance, one academic petitions) that each meet about once a month and have a lot of documents I need to read as well, I work for the health centre as a peer educator and we're planning a big awareness week so I have that to do - scheduling, getting participants, coordinating ten volunteers - as well as our regular outreach, I'm applying for summer jobs, I also work as an exam invigilator for the disability office so next month when midterms really get going I'll have more hours there, I go to fitness and yoga classes at the gym three times a week, and in the next little while I'm going to be assisting in opening up a can of whoop-ass on the student union for their most recent fuck up. Whew! I bake (fresh bread every week!) and watch ER and Lost as well. It seems like I'm doing a lot but honestly... it's a lot less than what I've been doing the past three years of undergrad!

I graduated with my B.A. last semester and have been working for my former college as an administrative assistant. It's a fairly relaxed environment and I get to be around professors all day which keeps me in a "collegiate" frame of mind. Unfortunately, I no longer have rehearsals to keep me occupied in the evening so it's easy to start worrying. I've picked up creative writing again, something I haven't had time to do in awhile. Working on some original fiction, something light and fluffy that keeps me mind off of, oh, you know, my FUTURE. My husband and I have started reading together after he comes home. I'm keeping a blog of books I finish. I've been trying to take walks in the park after work (it really, really minimizes the stress). And like a lot of other people, I've been cooking a great deal. If anyone wants to trade recipes, let me know! My roommates (including husband) still have one more semester of undergrad so I end up making dinner a lot more.

I graduated with my B.A. last semester and have been working for my former college as an administrative assistant. It's a fairly relaxed environment and I get to be around professors all day which keeps me in a "collegiate" frame of mind. Unfortunately, I no longer have rehearsals to keep me occupied in the evening so it's easy to start worrying. I've picked up creative writing again, something I haven't had time to do in awhile. Working on some original fiction, something light and fluffy that keeps me mind off of, oh, you know, my FUTURE. My husband and I have started reading together after he comes home. I'm keeping a blog of books I finish. I've been trying to take walks in the park after work (it really, really minimizes the stress). And like a lot of other people, I've been cooking a great deal. If anyone wants to trade recipes, let me know! My roommates (including husband) still have one more semester of undergrad so I end up making dinner a lot more.

Got anything good for dinner? I need something new! And preferably quick. I bake a lot, so I can trade something there!

My usual day involves getting up, going to work, spend 9 hours in the lab (while checking email as often as I can), then going home, checking the mail, cooking dinner, and exercise (got the goal of losing 60 lbs by qualification exams!)

If anyone wants to trade recipes, let me know! My roommates (including husband) still have one more semester of undergrad so I end up making dinner a lot more.

Mmmmm. Got any recipes involving eggplant, tuna/salmon, and or curry? Just typing that made my stomach grumble from hunger :)

I make a great cold curry dipping sauce that I like with broiled chicken and seared tuna (and hell, pretzels and fresh veggies too). A cup of plain yogurt, three tablespoons of mayo, and three to four teaspoons of yellow curry powder. Mix well, stash in fridge. So easy and so delicious.

No news for me today. Sigh.

I spend my day at work checking gradcafe every half an hour or so (or more). Then run to the mailbox at home. When I'm not at work I'm in class, which is probably the one point of the day I'm not freaking out about acceptances. Although I do find myself daydreaming about various outcomes though!

I check my email between zero and two times a day at work, since I don't work on a computer. When I get home I waste some time on the internet, and grad cafe is one of my longest but last stops. Procrastinating on my last application is no longer part of the routine, since I sent it in yesterday! I'm DONE! :D Now I can watch movies with my roommates guilt-free.

I've been cooking a lot too, but this is nothing unusual or anxiety related! I'm just craving vegetables this week, so I'm using them in simple ways like pasta casserole or stir fry. I'm the "make sure everyone eats a balanced meal" type of cook most of the time, rather than the "bake a cake" type, just because you HAVE to eat dinner every day. If anyone has any fantastic dessert or vegetarian meal recipes, do share!