2012 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

InquilineKea

Aw I just got an email from my POI at Uchicago saying theyve decided not to admit me, even after my interview last week, because my research interests aren't a good fit. I agree with him lol and I wasn't going to go there if I was accepted but it still hurts my feelings because it was a personal email for personal reasons.

:(

Aw I just got an email from my POI at Uchicago saying theyve decided not to admit me, even after my interview last week, because my research interests aren't a good fit. I agree with him lol and I wasn't going to go there if I was accepted but it still hurts my feelings because it was a personal email for personal reasons.

:(

On the bright side, at least he took the time to contact you rather than just sending you a generic rejection letter! :)

On the bright side, at least he took the time to contact you rather than just sending you a generic rejection letter! :)

That is true. :)

I'm tempted to withdraw my applications from the 4 remaining schools I'm waiting to hear from lol because out of them BU is really my top choice for research and I plan on attending there. But I am visiting Northwestern this week for this open house so I don't think I will withdraw my application there at least until later lol that would be rude.

BUT IDK I'm hanging out to my other applications for selfish reasons because I want to know if I got in.....and have naother option maybe. But Tbh I wont even go there...I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO. the rejections are getting to me.

....within the Marine Geology and Geophysics program at @ MIT/WHOI, I came across a lot of different ongoing research that I would consider more just geophysics than 'marine geophysics'. Perhaps the person who posted the result was referring to that?

Ufff, i have been waiting for last coupler of months. But i did not hear from any school except Yale (rejected :D ). Is there anyone who applied to UCSC/UCSD(scripps)/INDIANA bloomington and heared from any of those ? I have seen someone rejected from UCSC, i dnt know what would be my condition. i hope one of the three schools will give a chance .

Waiting really pain. I'm bit scared.

Sorry about Yale.. I guess their intake is very low..

Ive applied to UCSC and Scripps.. Ive heard from Scripps but I havent had any contact from UCSC.. I guess their department is very small and because of the funding scenario in the UCs, they might be constrained on the manpower available to work on graduate admissions as well..

The waiting part really sucks.. But I guess there is no other choice but to grin and bear it.. Hopefully there'll be some good news soon..

On 2/28/2012 at 2:54 PM, Annabelle Farrell Batista said:

That is true. :)

I'm tempted to withdraw my applications from the 4 remaining schools I'm waiting to hear from lol because out of them BU is really my top choice for research and I plan on attending there. But I am visiting Northwestern this week for this open house so I don't think I will withdraw my application there at least until later lol that would be rude.

BUT IDK I'm hanging out to my other applications for selfish reasons because I want to know if I got in.....and have naother option maybe. But Tbh I wont even go there...I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO. the rejections are getting to me.

I'm kind of in the same scenario as well.. I really don't think I'll be attending any of the other schools even if Im admitted.. And I know that withdrawing my application right now may benefit someone else, in case the school doesn't have a waitlisting procedure..

But I still want to see if I get through any of the other schools, particularly Berkeley (because its Berkeley after all) and WashU (because it is rated really highly in Atmospheric Sciences).. I know that this is selfish, but I did spend quite a lot of money on the applications and I want to see where it goes.. And I also don't want to burn any bridges in case I'll end up in these schools later on in life..

On 2/29/2012 at 3:10 AM, hope4fall2012 said:

I'm kind of in the same scenario as well.. I really don't think I'll be attending any of the other schools even if Im admitted.. And I know that withdrawing my application right now may benefit someone else, in case the school doesn't have a waitlisting procedure..

But I still want to see if I get through any of the other schools, particularly Berkeley (because its Berkeley after all) and WashU (because it is rated really highly in Atmospheric Sciences).. I know that this is selfish, but I did spend quite a lot of money on the applications and I want to see where it goes.. And I also don't want to burn any bridges in case I'll end up in these schools later on in life..

I can definitely understand both sides to this. I'm all for helping out my fellow geology peers by opening up my spot, but at the same time I think back to all the time, energy, and money I put into each and every application and it hurts my soul a bit to not see it all the way through....

I say wait to hear from every school you applied to... and if you're accepted, then kindly reject the offer in a timely fashion!

I'm a "long time lurker, first time poster" and I just wanted to use my first post to let you all know that I have my fingers crossed for all of you. This isn't my application season (that's a whole year away) but you have all blown me away with your qualifications and excitement for what you want to do. That's about it, I just wanted to let you know that there are strangers out there rooting for you.

That's about it, I just wanted to let you know that there are strangers out there rooting for you.

Thank you!!! Its fascinating isn't it, the support from people who you barely know.. Guess thats the reason internet forums can be so good for you, especially during this waiting time..

And we will be rooting for you this time next year round.. :).. Well, hopefully you'll already have a few admits by now, but in case you need rooting, we'll be here.. :)

Alright, first week of March....anyone expecting to hear this week from schools?

I'm still waiting to hear from a couple more. Although, with that said, I have recently decided to accept my offer of admission to an international university I was accepted to a couple months back.

What a relief to be done with this whole process! For a while there, I wasn't sure if this day would ever come.

Best of luck to all in the coming weeks!

Hi Everyone,

Undergrad Institution: UC Berkeley

Major(s): EPS Geophysics

Overall GPA: 3.8

Position in Class: top

Type of Student: Transfer Domestic

GRE Scores (revised/old version):

Q: 157

V: 163

W: 4.5

Research Experience: One year research experiance to related field

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: reader (grades papers) and TA

Special Bonus Points: Two famous recommenders (Berkeley profs)

Applying to Where:

Stanford-Dept of Geological and Environmental Sciences PhD- Mineral Physics (Invited to interview)

U of washington-Seattle-PhD, Mineral Physics (Invited to interview)

U of Wisconsin, Madison - PhD, Nano-geoscience (Accepted with funding)

UCSB,MS Geology: No communication

UCLA, MS Geology: (Accepted with funding)

UC Davis, PhD Geology: No communication

Turtle26mr, do you mind sharing, when did you get invited to interview for Stanford?

I don't mind at all! I received an email invitation from my prosective adivsor on Jan 20th. They gave me two options for visitation dates: Feb 23-24 and March 1-2. I choose the later , and just visited. Did you apply there?

Oh bummer, yes, I did apply there but I haven't heard a thing. Well, maybe I will get a second look If their first choices say no. I was hoping for the structural geo dept. ah well, maybe after the Master's.

Oh turtle26mr, I am so happy to see someone who is applying for mineral physics join the thread! Even though this isn't my application season and I'm going to have to live vicariously through you. U. Of Washington is one of my dream schools. Is Dr. Brown your prospective advisor there? What type of mineral physics do you want to do? (I'm brimming over with excitement, I apologize for the crowding)

Alright, first week of March....anyone expecting to hear this week from schools?

I'm still waiting to hear from a couple more. Although, with that said, I have recently decided to accept my offer of admission to an international university I was accepted to a couple months back.

Congrats on your decision! It's exciting to see other Marine Geophysics people being successful. This waiting is still driving me crazy.

I am so happy to see someone who is applying for mineral physics join the thread!

Agreed. I remember when my mineralogy professor told the class that was his specialty. I went sailing over to him after class, and basically asked him to tell me everything, haha. Now I wonder if I over-specialized my interests, combining mineral physics with marine geophysics. I think there's a lot that could be done by routing those disciplines into one direction, I hope the programs I applied to agree.

Got rejected from the Dept. of Earth and Planetary Sciences (EPS) from the University of California - Santa Cruz.. Wouldn't have attended it I guess, but would have liked an option in the Bay Area nonetheless.. Well, that leaves me waiting for Berkeley..

I had a couple of email conversations with my POI.. Guess I was applying more for the location, than for the program itself.. Serves me right??

I also got rejected from UCSC EPS today. I also had a few emails with my POI but I expected the rejection because I didn't submit Physics GRE scores (which my POI-Francis Nimmo recommended taking) and also I've heard Nimmo (POI) is really intense so I figured he'd have high expectations for applicants haha.

I also got rejected from UCSC EPS today. I also had a few emails with my POI but I expected the rejection because I didn't submit Physics GRE scores (which my POI-Francis Nimmo recommended taking) and also I've heard Nimmo (POI) is really intense so I figured he'd have high expectations for applicants haha.

Francis totally grilled my poster 2 years ago at AGU... definitely intense, but brilliant none the less.