Jump to content
InquilineKea

2012 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

Recommended Posts

@Sulay Patel

I am going for an interview for Mt. Sinai Neuro 2/21-2/22. I emailed the admissions people, and they told me they are interviewing ~100 people and will enroll 35-38.

Does anyone know what that approximately translates to in terms of admission? I assume they will have to admit more than that number of people for those spots to fill up...

Usually they take 3x the target number of enrollment, so sounds like they'll probably take nearly everyone.

Saw an acceptance posted on the survey for UCSF Tetrad! Trying not to freak out! If the person who posted that sees this, can you give any details? When/what they said, etc?

Edited by greenertea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the Penn CAMB and OSU IBGP interview dates have passes. I guess I should count these as denials eh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone.

Has anyone heard anything at all (interview, acceptance, rejection) from NYU Biology??? (Not Sackler). Thanks.

There was a round of interviews last weekend (which I went to), and they have another round in a week and a half. I was accepted yesterday (I'm specifically interested in comp bio), so it looks like they're doing things on a pseudo rolling basis.

If you're applying for evolutionary biology, I heard a few people say they had a pretty strong crop of applicants this year. That said, if they're making offers so early then applicants might decline them, so waitlist places may appear. Good luck!

Edited by paulio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I was just wait listed (no interview) at Yale (BBS - comp bio). Seems like an odd thing to happen - surely they invite enough candidates over to not need to wait list those not even worthy of an on-site interview. They said they'd let me know some time after April 15th, but will they want to interview me at all, and if so when? I'm not holding out much (i.e. any hope) but I'm just confused!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just talked to OHIO State Biochemistry department.. They are planing to finish reviewing applications by next week Friday, and start sending out interview invitations after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ hyt5009...

which programs did you apply at Northwestern and Boston University... I applied to Biophysics and have not heard form them yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somewhat of a misnomer, schools have the right to rescind an offer at any point and time. Its pretty much in the fine print of any school's application form and the CGS is a voluntary organization, not some suicide pact. A reason why you may wish to accept early is that folks that sign on early lock up institutional funding (TAships, RAships, other institutional funds) and if you wait around you may undercut your chances of getting those monies. This isn't a huge problem but some PI's may not wish to take you if they have to foot the bill for you because you strung out the decision process or they needed you to secure those funding mechanisms in order to join their labs.

That being said, I've seen offers with a two week window and that is indeed a dick move. In my experience I have found that communicating with schools that have offers on the tables with you that you are waiting for others and found them quite receptive to waiting.

In the first (and only, so far) acceptance letter I received, it stated I had until Feb 3 to inform them of my decision otherwise my application would be "inactivated" . I accepted even though it is not my top choice, just to ensure that I have somewhere to go in the fall. Was this the right move?

Edited by fisherm1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the first (and only, so far) acceptance letter I received, it stated I had until Feb 3 to inform them of my decision otherwise my application would be "inactivated" . I accepted even though it is not my top choice, just to ensure that I have somewhere to go in the fall. Was this the right move?

Does it make any specific threats about if you change your decision later? Assuming they're part of this CGS stuff, I wouldn't feel the slightest bit of guilt retracting that acceptance after getting a better offer. "Inactivated" on Feb 3rd? Is this a competitive school? I'm assuming that they're either a high ranking school so full of themselves that they have no respect for other people's schedules, or they're so low ranking that they need to dupe people into accepting before they get other offers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Sulay Patel

I am going for an interview for Mt. Sinai Neuro 2/21-2/22. I emailed the admissions people, and they told me they are interviewing ~100 people and will enroll 35-38.

Does anyone know what that approximately translates to in terms of admission? I assume they will have to admit more than that number of people for those spots to fill up...

My interview dates are 2/13 - 2/14 for Structural - Chemical Biology and Molecular Design Track . However, i am in india and i cannot afford travelling all the way to New York for two days of interview. I had opted for Skype interview.

All the best for your interview Alexhll6

Edited by Sulay Patel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ hyt5009...

which programs did you apply at Northwestern and Boston University... I applied to Biophysics and have not heard form them yet.

I applied to the Integrated Graduate Program in Life Sciences (IGP) at Northwestern and Microbiology (Immunology track) at BU. I emailed the directors to ask about interview invitations and they told me that I was not selected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the record, I just got an email from a member of UChicago's molecular biosciences admissions board to say that their progress had been pretty slow this year, but that they're still processing applicants (and that my application, "has been evaluated quite highly at this point" and I should expect to receive a phone/Skype interview request soon).

So maybe there's hope yet for people waiting on that program and the associated umbrella programs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first reply started with a rejection from U of Pittsburgh- MCDP Program :(

"We recently completed a major round of review of the applications for the fall of 2012. Unfortunately, we were unable to offer you a position. The application process was extremely competitive this year, and the number of high quality applicants far exceeded the number of students that we could accept.

We thank you for your interest in our program and for your patience with the review process. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ productive procrastinator..I just got the same email today.. :( kinda sad.. wasnt really a great match but I had hopes from there.. All the labs i saw though has tons of students though so I wonder how many are they taking anyway...Where else have u applied?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ hyt5009.. U applied to IBGP rite? I havent heard from them either.. they have interviews till March.. This was from the Dept of Biological Sciences; the MCDB program. I had to applyu to both due to my limited choice of Pittsburgh only.. Did you also apply to Biological Sciences in Pitt?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My interview dates are 2/13 - 2/14 for Structural - Chemical Biology and Molecular Design Track . However, i am in india and i cannot afford travelling all the way to New York for two days of interview. I had opted for Skype interview.

All the best for your interview Alexhll6

I was invited for the same interview dates (for the Microbiology track). As I reside oversea too, I chose a Skype interview instead. Have they scheduled your Skype interview yet? They told me I'd be interviewing with two faculty members and they'll contact me to schedule a convenient time. It has been 2 weeks since the last email. Should I contact the program?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.