Straight Through Or Returning

cardnav

Are you going to Grad school immediately after Undergrad?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to Grad school immediately after Undergrad?

• Straight from Undergrad to Grad
    • Graduated Undergrad and going to Grad after a few years

I took 2 years off after undergrad to make sure that grad school was the right choice for me. And thank goodness I did!! Not only did I have a 9-5 job, but I experienced life outside of academia. And it was wonderful! It definitely helped me realize my goals and aspirations, at least professionally. It was nice to go home and not have work to do and to make some $$ in the process. I have friends who went straight to grad school after undergrad and they were there the ones who were burnt out intellectually. I was definitely ready to go back to school and I did so with a better outlook.

I'm really surprised so many people have gone straight through! I'd be interested in a breakdown by field... do hard science-types go straight through more than social sciencers?

I had a break between undergrad and my law degree and another break between the JD and returning now.

I'm really surprised so many people have gone straight through! I'd be interested in a breakdown by field... do hard science-types go straight through more than social sciencers?

I had a break between undergrad and my law degree and another break between the JD and returning now.

I think it is common for people in the hard sciences and engineering to go directly onto graduate school. The pay is better and most students who go into the job market with a bachelors never have any economic incentive to come back for an MS or a Ph.D.

Unlikelygrad, I've enjoyed a lot of your posts and your blog, but you've gotta get this chip off your shoulder about having been out of school for 15 years. Your numbers look solid and you're obviously a competitive candidate, but you're also not the only person who's gone back to grad school in their late 30s. Mentioning it in every single post just makes it seem like a hang-up, and you have no reason to be on the defensive so much. Good luck!

Did undergrad in 3 years, worked for a year, then applied to grad school. Lasted a semester, and left to start a family. Now going back after 5 years. My last time in grad school there was a man in my psych class who was in his early-mid 40's. He had been a computer analyst professional, until he got layed off from his long-time job. So he decided to completely change his career and get a masters in psych. Just to give some perspective to those who think they are "too old" :)

Unlikelygrad, I've enjoyed a lot of your posts and your blog, but you've gotta get this chip off your shoulder about having been out of school for 15 years. Your numbers look solid and you're obviously a competitive candidate, but you're also not the only person who's gone back to grad school in their late 30s. Mentioning it in every single post just makes it seem like a hang-up, and you have no reason to be on the defensive so much. Good luck!

I have fewer hang-ups about it than you may think. A lot of time I am joking when I talk about my old-lady status but that's not always obvious online. (I forgot to use the :lol: icon this time). I know a lot of people who have gone back to grad school in their late 30s, into their 40s, and even 50s. None of them, however, were involved in hard science.

I'm taking classes (unofficially) right now and I definitely have a leg up over my younger classmates: I'm more focused, for one thing. I'm not afraid to learn things on my own. And I get along better with my professors, since I'm closer to them in age than the young'uns. :) (My PI is only 2-3 years older than I am.)

Believe me, I am glad I took those 15 years off--I need every single one of them to grow up and figure out who I am. My real hang-up is that I wasn't taking time off to work in industry or do anything related to my field: I spent 15 years primarily homeschooling my kids (though I dabbled in other things). Like I said, I needed that time and put it to good use; I just don't know if admissions committees will agree.

As a final note, age discrimination does exist in academia; my sister-the-professor says as much. She was only 38 or so when she hit the academic job market and even then she said some people were put off by her age. I figure that I'll be 45 when I go looking for a tenure-track position, so I really don't know how good my odds are.

eta: I don't think I am too old. If you read my blog, you'll see that I consider my lack of research experience to be my primary reason for considering myself a dark-horse candidate. This might not be a big deal in some fields, but in chemistry it's huge...

I went straight from undergrad to what amounts to a professional degree, worked in the field that that degree was in for a few years and then started my phd program (in a field that my professional degree is related to). It was the best decision for me; I came in with more work/life experience, self confidence, and a better understanding of myself, my goals, and how the PhD relates to those goals. I also know that if things don't work out, I have another field to fall back on, which takes some of the pressure off.

I've been in academic race horse status since finishing my BA. I went straight into Grad school and am finishing my fourth Master's degree in five years this semester. Just sent off the PhD applications.

I don't mean to be mean, but why do you have 4 master's degrees?

I'm taking two years off, and it really feels like nothing. I was abroad for the first year + a few months after graduation, so I've only settled down again in the last few months. I really value the experiences over that year - especially the good ones - and I'm glad to have gotten some experience of what the job market would be like if I didn't go to grad school, but I feel like to have meaningful work experience, I'd need to stay at least another year. I'm applying anyway because I'm impatient to get started, and I don't want to stay longer here only to make it more emotionally and financially wrenching when I do make the next big move, if I have to leave for grad school.

I don't mean to be mean, but why do you have 4 master's degrees?

And how does one afford 4 Master's degrees? Holy moly!

I took a year off between my Bachelor's and my Master's degree. I finished the Master's in 2004, worked in a position not even remotely related to my academic pursuits for four years (which I don't regret), and I'm now teaching in my field. Though I love teaching, I can't wait to be back in school for my PhD.