Spanish/Hispanic Studies 2012

cafeomuerte

Yo aplico a Texas A&M, Cornell, UC Davis, Vanderbilt y Yale. Un poco tedioso todo el proceso (y luego a esperar!)... y tu?

Hola Mivas!

Yo hago aplicaciones para Harvard, Berkeley, Columbia, Stanford, NYU, Brown, UPitt y Penn State.

Tienes razón, ¡son MUY tediosas! Hasta ahora las más complicadas que he hecho son Harvard y Berkeley--esta última todavía no termino, tiene algunas partes muy propias. Para las demás, pude "reciclar" cosas que creí que me servirían para todas las aplicaciones, y al final tuve que improvisar un SPH (personal history) para UC B.

En cuál(es) quieres que te acepten?

• 4 weeks later...

Oi gente! Boa sorte pra todos! Applied to Brown's Portuguese & Brazilian Studies dept. obsessed with prof Nelson Vieira, and hope to study Brazilian modernist fiction by Clarice Lispector, and perhaps compare w Jewish literary production in latin America post-Holocaust - Estado novo (ditaduras militares)- era. Borges primarily. What do yall hope to focus on? Look forward to dedicated updates/best luck to all!

"Amen para nós todos." -Clarice, A hora da estrela

Oi gente! Boa sorte pra todos! Applied to Brown's Portuguese & Brazilian Studies dept. obsessed with prof Nelson Vieira, and hope to study Brazilian modernist fiction by Clarice Lispector, and perhaps compare w Jewish literary production in latin America post-Holocaust - Estado novo (ditaduras militares)- era. Borges primarily. What do yall hope to focus on? Look forward to dedicated updates/best luck to all!

"Amen para nós todos." -Clarice, A hora da estrela

I too am obsessed with a prof. at Brown (Julio Ortega)! I want to study the Spanish republican exiles' literary production in Mexico--so the Transatlantic approach is really what I'm after :)

Besides Brown, where else are you applying?

Hola! Yo estoy aplicando a Texas, Emory, Yale y Princeton. Alguien sabe cu[ando se reunen los comit[es? No puedo esperar!

Hola Jocaco!

Cuándo se reúnen?- No tengo la menor idea, pero los primeros resultados se dan antes del fin de enero (según el foro del año pasado). Así que si es algo de cada año, las primeras noticias están por llegar!

Cuál es tu línea de investigación? Cuál tu primera opción?

Saludos!

I decided just to apply to brown-- all or nothing, a bit risky I know--but is really the only program I would want to go to. Best of luck w your app at brown! Did u apply to the Hispanic studies dept then?

Risky indeed, but it makes little sense to apply to universities you have no interest in. Let's hope you make it!

And yes, in Brown I applied to Hispanic Studies. In other universities I applied to Spanish and Portuguese because that's the program but my emphasis will be in Spanish anyway.

Good luck :)

Gracias por el dato café o muerte,

Creo que si mañana no me escriben de Yale estaré fuera. Cruzando los dedos.

Primera opción: Yale

Línea de investigación: La representación de la violencia en los países andinos (Perú, Colombia, Ecuador) de América Latina en la actualidad.

Suerte!

Gracias por el dato café o muerte,

Creo que si mañana no me escriben de Yale estaré fuera. Cruzando los dedos.

Primera opción: Yale

Línea de investigación: La representación de la violencia en los países andinos (Perú, Colombia, Ecuador) de América Latina en la actualidad.

Suerte!

Hola jocaco: Para mi que es muy pronto para tener respuestas. Si mañana no tienes respuesta de Yale, no creas que es porque no te han aceptado. Por cierto, esta fecha la viste en algún lado? Take a deep breath and be patient.

A risk I'm hoping turns out well! Thanks for wishing me luck--I need all I can get! And same to you! I just got an email from brown today--nothing big, just wanted to confirm that I was graduating in may (I'm finishing my BA in three years instead of 4--hopefully not to my disadvantage...). So it seems that theyve started to review applications! Ahh exciting! Brown doesn't usually notify final decisions until march right? Ah this is going to be an eternity. Best of luck to all!

A risk I'm hoping turns out well! Thanks for wishing me luck--I need all I can get! And same to you! I just got an email from brown today--nothing big, just wanted to confirm that I was graduating in may (I'm finishing my BA in three years instead of 4--hopefully not to my disadvantage...). So it seems that theyve started to review applications! Ahh exciting! Brown doesn't usually notify final decisions until march right? Ah this is going to be an eternity. Best of luck to all!

I think they start notifying by the end of February.

This week I started feeling very insecure--I guess it's normal. Are you guys being optimistic? Do you think about your applications all day long? Me, I can't even focus!

Edited by cafeomuerte

I think they start notifying by the end of February.

This week I started feeling very insecure--I guess it's normal. Are you guys being optimistic? Do you think about your applications all day long? Me, I can't even focus!

Ditto on that one. I'm obsessively looking at my application/SOP and wondering if I should do anything to follow-up. If we do hear back towards the end of February, would it be a total waste to retake the GRE this week? I screwed up and didn't sleep before the exam and didn't write more than two sentences for AWA and was SO slow on my verbal section that I totally bombed it compare to my usual ~800 or "170" on practice exams (even on powerprep)...thoughts? I hate the revised GRE and ETS. curses.

Ditto on that one. I'm obsessively looking at my application/SOP and wondering if I should do anything to follow-up. If we do hear back towards the end of February, would it be a total waste to retake the GRE this week? I screwed up and didn't sleep before the exam and didn't write more than two sentences for AWA and was SO slow on my verbal section that I totally bombed it compare to my usual ~800 or "170" on practice exams (even on powerprep)...thoughts? I hate the revised GRE and ETS. curses.

I too screwed up! I studied so hard for nothing... I don't think it's a good idea to re-take it, but that's just my opinion. Can you follow-up with new scores? I didn't know that

I suppose nothing is stopping you from retaking and sending them late...it's just a matter of timeframe and by the time I do send them/they receive the scores...they'll probably think i'm crazy and should worry about something else! maybe they're right! but i don't want the dept to get the wrong impression (i.e. that I can't write complete sentences in ENGLISH at the very least, and cannot read for my life). my quant was ironically very high, even though I can make stupid errors when doing calculations, etc. ahhh what to do??

I suppose nothing is stopping you from retaking and sending them late...it's just a matter of timeframe and by the time I do send them/they receive the scores...they'll probably think i'm crazy and should worry about something else! maybe they're right! but i don't want the dept to get the wrong impression (i.e. that I can't write complete sentences in ENGLISH at the very least, and cannot read for my life). my quant was ironically very high, even though I can make stupid errors when doing calculations, etc. ahhh what to do??

Then you should probably retake it. I guess it's different if your first language isn't English. Me, I'm hoping they'll make the connection between my low scores and the fact that English is not my mother tongue, then see from my sample that I don't suck that bad :)

--Me too I had way higher scores in the quantitative sections...

Edited by cafeomuerte

Sí, he recibido la oferta de Texas!

Y en Princeton fui, como dijo hace un tiempo un gordito buena gente, obviously rejected.

Y mañana viernes se reúne el comité de Yale.

Estoy cruzando los dedos.