SSHRC

psyched

Last year's winners received a letter dated April 25th (a Saturday this year). I'm not counting on hearing until the last week of April. Your department may get the results before you receive the letter, so if you're in good with your department secretary, it might be worth speaking to him or her on the 24th ... just in case!

Last year's winners received a letter dated April 25th (a Saturday this year). I'm not counting on hearing until the last week of April. Your department may get the results before you receive the letter, so if you're in good with your department secretary, it might be worth speaking to him or her on the 24th ... just in case!

I know the letters were sent out later than usual last year. Apparently SSHRC had a difficult time getting stuff in order last year and the letters came out a bit later than usual. Hopefully they don't have that problem this year too :S

Any thoughts on when they'll release the MA results? I'm in the unenviable position of having to gamble with my admissions. That is, I will presumably have to accept one of my offers prior to SSHRC notification. If I fail to secure funding, well, goodbye graduate school!

Last year my dept secretary sent out an email on April 22nd indicating our SSHRC winners (master's and doctoral). I've also been in touch with the financial aid/scholarships people from the main school of graduate studies at my university, and they received the list even earlier (they are the people who organize it by dept and forward it on to your dept secretary). If you can manage to figure out the right person to call from your school of graduate studies, you could find out almost a week earlier than waiting on the letter in the mail. (If you're at UofT and want to know who the person is there, PM me!).

I intend to start bothering those very people starting early next week, and will keep you posted if I find anything out :D

I spoke to the graduate programme administrator in my department earlier this week and she said that I will definitely hear back before she does. Apparently, if your faculty of graduate studies gets the results first, they pass it on to you immediately and to your department a bit later on. Also, according to graduate studies (and they got this from SSHRC), the results should be out by mid-April (at the earliest, I gather). I'm guessing that the letters are sent out at the same time that graduate studies is notified.

Only a bit more waiting to get through...

I spoke to the graduate programme administrator in my department earlier this week and she said that I will definitely hear back before she does. Apparently, if your faculty of graduate studies gets the results first, they pass it on to you immediately and to your department a bit later on. Also, according to graduate studies (and they got this from SSHRC), the results should be out by mid-April (at the earliest, I gather). I'm guessing that the letters are sent out at the same time that graduate studies is notified.

Only a bit more waiting to get through...

Seems that this varies by university then? I'm hearing a lot of different opinions on who hears first throughout this thread.

Best of luck to all! Be sure to interrupt your personal celebrations (or pity party...) to post on here ASAP when you find out!

I got early notification of my MA SSHRC, so I can say that at least some schools get the info before the students. I can't imagine that SSHRC gives info to some schools and not others, though, so my best guess is that the schools who don't give out early info tell students that they just don't *have* it. Can't blame them... I wouldn't want dozens of anxious grad students calling/e-mailing me every day. The other reason I can think of for the different information is that people are getting them from different levels of the administration-- looks like awards administrators in the department of grad studies get the info before departmental grad secretaries.

We're almost there! If your deadlines were in early November like mine, you've waited for 23 weeks and only have 2-3 left. That's 92% of the waiting over and done with. Good luck to everyone on the thread. I hope we all get good news.

We're almost there! If your deadlines were in early November like mine, you've waited for 23 weeks and only have 2-3 left. That's 92% of the waiting over and done with. Good luck to everyone on the thread. I hope we all get good news.

Haha! I find comfort in your math. Mine was due in the first week of October though!

Our deadline was November, but I was given one week's notice that if I got mine together for early October I could be considered for the department's Vanier nomination. So I worked day and night through the flu from hell to get it done, only to not get nominated. It was totally worth it, though. I got most of the work done in that week, and didn't have to do much before re-submitting it in November. I did so much concentrated work on it that I'm sure the whole ordeal made my proposal much stronger. I also hit what a friend of mine calls "The Effort Sweet Spot", where your supervisor is actually worried about your health because of how hard you're working. :lol:

Anyone want to start a pool on when we'll hear? I'm betting Ontario residents will get their letters Monday the 20th.

Alright...so here's the list so far, betting on the day when we hear about the first letter arriving (assume phd unless otherwise stated)...the winner gets a SSHRC?? (ha ha...I wish)

April 15th

April 16th - thepoorstockinger (the optimist)

April 17th

April 20th - jasper.milvain + phreeduh

April 21st - ogopogo

April 22nd - ashleyv

April 23rd - jackassjim

April 24th - jferreir (MA)

April 27th - Snasser

April 28th

April 29th

April 30th

May 1st

This thead is so good for my sanity. I know that once someone gets a letter, it'll take a few extra days to reach me in Vancouver. As a result, I'm not chaining myself to my mailbox like last year. I've even made coffee dates during prime mail delivery time! So thank you all.

I've been following this thread, but haven't posted (I applied independently - doctoral level - and I had a score of 24 in the first round). I'm posting now because I just called SSHRC and they told me that letters will be sent at the end of April. So still a long wait...