Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2012 admissions

MSW13

HAHA. I love crime drama and other such tv shows. I like to understand the psychology of people and thats why i find dexter very interesting as a show. I assure you its not a reflection on who i am :) i love people :)

I'm also laughing because I LOVE Dexter! No worries, I totally get the fascination :D

I would definitely be optimistic about the BSW at Calgary - you seem to have infinitely more research experience than most students applying. The BSW was also a plan I had, plus there are definitely benefits to starting your studies at a more foundational level. I sometimes worry about the pace of jumping into an MSW - I feel like I'll be wanting to do a lot of supplementary reading and research in order to get a handle on all of the new concepts. The other nice thing is that you'll be able to do your Masters in 1 year! My fingers are crossed for you!

I second that! I completed my BSW years ago and still draw on learning from back then now in my professional career. It really is a win-win situation :)

Hey all, been lurking around this forum for a while now and finally started freaking out!

I've applied to the 2-year MSW at U of T and York this year. Last year I applied to the same programs got waitlisted at York and denied from U of T. Did pretty crappy in my undergrad but went back for another two years to upgrade my GPA and get some solid work and volunteer experience. Now the wait... I thought last year was pretty stressful but this year the wait is killing me.

I called York today and the grad program assistant told me acceptances will be sent out at the end of next week, but who knows with York. She also said they will only be admitting 20 people to the 2 year program... sounds super competitive! Called U of T and the grad coordinator said mid april but didn't give me a specific date. She also said they will be admitting 140 people this year.

I too am starting to check this site way too much :(

All the best to everyone!

Hey all, been lurking around this forum for a while now and finally started freaking out!

I've applied to the 2-year MSW at U of T and York this year. Last year I applied to the same programs got waitlisted at York and denied from U of T. Did pretty crappy in my undergrad but went back for another two years to upgrade my GPA and get some solid work and volunteer experience. Now the wait... I thought last year was pretty stressful but this year the wait is killing me.

I called York today and the grad program assistant told me acceptances will be sent out at the end of next week, but who knows with York. She also said they will only be admitting 20 people to the 2 year program... sounds super competitive! Called U of T and the grad coordinator said mid april but didn't give me a specific date. She also said they will be admitting 140 people this year.

Hey! Welcome - don't worry, you are not the only one checking the site incessantly!

Thank you for the tip about York - I didn't even know that's when they were sending acceptances out, so that is great to know. As a Torontonian, which would be your first choice? It's my third choice of 3 - still a choice though!!- and I also didn't know how competitive it is. 20 people! Wow! That is highly competitive, although it's also hard to say how many applicants they get. Carleton accepts 25 out of a usual 150-200, so I felt really excited and kind of SHOCKED that they accepted me. But like an earlier poster says, it can have a lot to do with fit, so it's so hard to predict! I may only get accepted there...who knows! But yeah, the wait is killing us all.

Good for you for applying again! It's so close :) Do you have a preferred specialization?

Edited by heneyka

Hey thanks for that info! I have applied to the 2 year MSW at U of T. I think the PhD applicants heard back about being accepted last night.. which seems right because last i heard i was told that u of t sends its Phd acceptances mid march and the Masters acceptances mid april.. so it sounds right that you said the same thing :) and youre not alone in checking this forum so frequently.. :)

Hey! Welcome - don't worry, you are not the only one checking the site incessantly!

Thank you for the tip about York - I didn't even know that's when they were sending acceptances out, so that is great to know. As a Torontonian, which would be your first choice? It's my third choice of 3 - still a choice though!!- and I also didn't know how competitive it is. 20 people! Wow! That is highly competitive, although it's also hard to say how many applicants they get. Carleton accepts 25 out of a usual 150-200, so I felt really excited and kind of SHOCKED that they accepted me. But like an earlier poster says, it can have a lot to do with fit, so it's so hard to predict! I may only get accepted there...who knows! But yeah, the wait is killing us all.

Good for you for applying again! It's so close :) Do you have a preferred specialization?

Top choice right now is U of T. I have a friend in their MSW program and he says the instructors and facilities are top notch. However, I did my undergrad at York and enjoy their critical anti-oppresive outlook. I'm kinda regretting not applying to more schools, but I don't want to move out of Toronto if I can help it. I have decent experience working and volunteering in a few community organizations focused on immigrant health and advocacy so I'm thinking of specializing in social justice and diversity. But really... I would like to get some more experience in other fields before I tie myself down to a specialization. I think it's the second year that they make you pick a specialization? So if I get into a program hopefully there's room to dabble in another field or two.

Congrats on getting into Carlton! What's the deadline for accepting their offer? Ya fit is a big deal it seems, I know people with a stellar GPA and experience who didn't make the cut at a few schools... Kinda scary! Where are you in terms of specialization?

It's nice to see everyone's experiences on here, sometimes it feels like i'm the only one freaking out haha :) Most of my friends and family don't understand how crazy this process is.

Hey thanks for that info! I have applied to the 2 year MSW at U of T. I think the PhD applicants heard back about being accepted last night.. which seems right because last i heard i was told that u of t sends its Phd acceptances mid march and the Masters acceptances mid april.. so it sounds right that you said the same thing :) and youre not alone in checking this forum so frequently.. :)

NP, thanks for the reassurance! A few more weeks to go. I'm glad i'm in school right now, the end of semester madness is keeping me busy. It's murky waters when I have nothing to do but think about getting accepted... I turn into a grumpelstiltskin. Staying busy is key!

NP, thanks for the reassurance! A few more weeks to go. I'm glad i'm in school right now, the end of semester madness is keeping me busy. It's murky waters when I have nothing to do but think about getting accepted... I turn into a grumpelstiltskin. Staying busy is key!

Youre lucky youre so busy. All i do all day is worry that im not going to get accepted.. hahah grumpelstiltskin..hahah

Grumplestiltskin FTW! Yeah, I have a ft job (and another pt gig), volunteering, excessively warm weather that is conducive to running, and some friends I am spending ample time with in anticipation of possibly leaving the city...and I am STILL checking my e-mail 10 times a day! But you're right, being busy does stop you from checking 50 times a day!

Facebook is advertising more and more Masters acceptances...so I think we should hear soon!

Facebook is advertising more and more Masters acceptances...so I think we should hear soon!

Where are you looking on FB? I haven't even thought of trolling over there! lol

Where are you looking on FB? I haven't even thought of trolling over there! lol

I probably shouldn't have said "adversiting" - more like, friends on facebook are coming out with acceptances every day! It's tough to watch lol.

I probably shouldn't have said "adversiting" - more like, friends on facebook are coming out with acceptances every day! It's tough to watch lol.

I feel the same way. Everyone of my friends who have applied to graduate school have already heard back and have been accepted. It is very frustrating.

Edited by Track_22

Historical fact of the day :):

On this day last year York sent out the waiting list message, they seem to be a bit behind schedule this year:

Good morning,

We're pleased to inform you that you have been accepted to the waitlist for the 2-year MSW program at York University.

We would ask that if you do not want to remain on the waitlist, e.g., you have accepted another offer, you please email gradsowk@yorku.ca asking to be removed and we will record your offer as declined.

Otherwise, please do nothing and if we are able to offer you a spot we will inform you by letter. Unfortunately, we are not able to provide information regarding where you are on the waitlist or if you will be offered a spot. We've occasionally made offers as late as August but there are no guarantees.

Eventually, everyone will receive a letter by mail confirming their status once it has been resolved to either accepted or declined.

Thank you and we hope to meet you in person in the fall.

With best regards,

cleardot.gif

Historical fact of the day :):

On this day last year York sent out the waiting list message, they seem to be a bit behind schedule this year:

Good morning,

We're pleased to inform you that you have been accepted to the waitlist for the 2-year MSW program at York University.

We would ask that if you do not want to remain on the waitlist, e.g., you have accepted another offer, you please email gradsowk@yorku.ca asking to be removed and we will record your offer as declined.

Otherwise, please do nothing and if we are able to offer you a spot we will inform you by letter. Unfortunately, we are not able to provide information regarding where you are on the waitlist or if you will be offered a spot. We've occasionally made offers as late as August but there are no guarantees.

Eventually, everyone will receive a letter by mail confirming their status once it has been resolved to either accepted or declined.

Thank you and we hope to meet you in person in the fall.

With best regards,

cleardot.gif

Ouch. I am not excited about the possibility of getting wait-listed :unsure: I could see it feeling very close to a rejection, but with the tiniest bit of hope, which is almost worse! That being said, It says a lot about you that you were so close last year, so I'll bet your chances are that much stronger this year! FYI I have yet to hear from York - just keeping everyone posted!

I have a more general question for everyone - can folks give a little insight into the quality and nature of MSW programs at different schools that you've heard? I am struggling right now since my top choice is Calgary, but that's predonminantly because I want to live there (have family and friends, and love the city), and only a little because they have a really interesting International specialization. Problem is, I keep hearing about how strong Carleton's program is because it is focussed on structural elements (socioeconomic barriers, cultural barriers, etc.), and I know that one of the main profs there literally WROTE THE BOOK on Social Work in Canada (Steven Hick). I also keep hearing that York has a great radical bent, and it's so exclusive that the instruction must be very interactive...And I worry because the last numbers I saw from Calgary's 'book' is that there are over 150 students in their MSW program. HOWEVER, I know they have about 5 streams if you include their off-campus streams, so that may explain it.

I know, I know...I haven't even gotten notification from 2/3 schools there, but I know that the decision will have to be made quickly and I just wanted to see what others have heard about the quality of instruction and focus of any of these schools...and maybe other schools YOU have applied at that I haven't :)

Determorgan, you're not alone. I feel like I'm constantly apologizing to my friends about being a complete BITCH! I am usually so easygoing, but I can't seem to control the feelings of anxiety and frustration, so they come out like you mentioned - being cranky, testy, 'belligerent' as one friend called me. :(

It's just around the corner...and today is Monday. I have only checked the Calgary website once today! Phew! I'll try to keep it under 5. Anybody have news so we can stop focussing on our own impatient experiences?

Hi Heneyka,

Thanks for the support :) I have calmed down finally. Now im not thinking about the apps..at least not yet. Im going to try not to obsess with them until mid april comes around. Hope youre feeling better too :) Have you applied anywhere except for calgary?

Does anyone else applying for their MSW in Canada feel like they are the only applicant in the universe who hasn't heard a thing yet? I'm starting to question my existence!

...Come on April!

I feel like I will never hear a word. Ever.

Like everyone is just going to continue on living, as if my application never even existed))

Hi Folks,

I can give you some information from my experience last year as an advanced standing student. I heard acceptance from Ryerson very early (mid February 2012). U of T was next and I heard in mid March. York took forever. I didn't receive any word from them until mid to late April. I suspect it's a bit off each year depending on how quickly they make their way through applications.

You can also email U of T (last year it was Angela Umbrello) for a more official update on when you might expect to hear. Last year, she was incredibly helpful as those of us who heard from Ryerson early on were required to put down a $500 deposit within a few weeks. U of T was able to tell us whether we were on the list of acceptance offers before receiving the paperwork. FYI - Ryerson is doing the same trick this year so you theoretically could say you are concerned about accepting because you're holding out for them. You will hear shortly as there is an information session the end of April for U of T advanced standing students.

As far as schools and which is better, I have to say as someone now finishing U of T with an MSW that people really devalue York. I sometimes wish I had chosen to go there. If that's the school that accepts you, don't feel like it's worthy of a third place ranking. Lots of my peers in placement (both professionally and in a student role) are from York.

U of T's program for advanced standing is not very personal. You will feel like you're being pushed through an 8 month experience alongside two years who have established relationships with faculty and each other. If you want hospital placements, then U of T has a lot of them. If you're coming in from an AOP school, it's very different.

C

Does anyone else applying for their MSW in Canada feel like they are the only applicant in the universe who hasn't heard a thing yet? I'm starting to question my existence!

...Come on April!

I definitely feel that way! I bet you are particularly frustrated since you haven't heard a peep from all 3! Ugh, I just wish they would do a better job of telling us when we'll hear so we're not all rocking back and forth in restless anticipation!

Stephanie, do you have a top choice from your list there?

Edited by heneyka

I definitely feel that way! I bet you are particularly frustrated since you haven't heard a peep from all 3! Ugh, I just wish they would do a better job of telling us when we'll hear so we're not all rocking back and forth in restless anticipation!

Stephanie, do you have a top choice from your list there?

Well I want to go into Medical Social Work and apparently I hear UofT is the best school for that, so I am leaning towards UofT. However, Laurier would be a lot better location wise and I think living would be easier to afford, so I am kind of torn between those two. All in all, I think UofT is probably my top choice right now.

How about you???

Edited by stephanie.ms.antunes

Hi Folks,

I can give you some information from my experience last year as an advanced standing student.

As far as schools and which is better, I have to say as someone now finishing U of T with an MSW that people really devalue York. I sometimes wish I had chosen to go there. If that's the school that accepts you, don't feel like it's worthy of a third place ranking. Lots of my peers in placement (both professionally and in a student role) are from York.

U of T's program for advanced standing is not very personal. You will feel like you're being pushed through an 8 month experience alongside two years who have established relationships with faculty and each other. If you want hospital placements, then U of T has a lot of them. If you're coming in from an AOP school, it's very different.

C

Thanks so much for this post! Very helpful for those of us who are going the advanced standing route. When you say that the UofT program is not very 'personal', can you give a specific example? I assumed that most MSW programs are a bit stand-off-ish..

I feel like a creeper but I just saw that someone got a response via Myfile for York U 2-year MSW. IT'S COMING! I can't check mine from work, but when I do I'll of course let this forum know. Kinda a scary feeling...

On another note, if anybody else is waiting for Calgary, I got impatient today and called them, and they said they were literally sending the acceptances, rejections, and waitlists out right now via e-mail. I haven't gotten anything yet, but it does mean the wait should be over soon. Man, I wish I didn't have CPR training tonight so I could check my messages/not be there crying into a dummy if I do get notification that I am rejected from U of C!

It's all out of our hands now...