Jump to content

Fulbright and Fulbright-Hays taxes?

Recommended Posts

I apologize if this has already been asked - I searched the forum and could not find an answer.

How do I go about paying the IRS for the FBH taxes? Do you get something in the mail (a 1098 or something from your university) that will indicate roughly how much you owe? Must I submit a form from somewhere online? How much will I owe (what % of the grant amount)?

Thanks to anyone who can provide links or other information... as I'm still living abroad I worry they might be sending things to an outdated address...

Edited by ChinaGrad
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd try to call a H&R Block or something of that sort.

In my experience, taxes with the Fulbright can get rather messy...

Because you're FBH, I don't think you would owe much of anything because you're technically in school/working towards a degree? Thus, I don't think the grant is taxable. I think the problem for FBers comes in when they're not enrolled in a University during the grant either at home or in their host country.

That said, don't trust me on that. Call a tax person and ask them.

Edited by edie
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.